Author Topic: Getting the game to run question  (Read 1155 times)

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
Getting the game to run question
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:28 AM »
Hi guys and gals.  I hope I put this post in the correct thread, if not, please enlighten me :)

Problem: Version 6. 0 will not generate a world. 

I am on Win7-64, dual-core; the game files are on my desktop, vcredist is up to date and I followed the installation instructions to the letter:

I downloaded and installed version 554 onto my desktop, unzipped the 554 patch and put it in the aurora folder, erasing two files in the process, then I started up, and a new world was generated, as expected.  I checked some screens and played a few turns and I believe that the game works as expected.  I am a total newbie, so I really don't know.  But it didn't crash on me, I had contact and could write things and I had no error messages.

I then saw there was a version 6. 0, downloaded it and installed it according to the instructions.  Now the game will not finish generating a new world.  I get the first message (that my civ is created, and that the game will now create the other civs, and that it will take a few minutes).  I click OK, and the game starts generating again.  I can hear something is happening on my hd. 

After 28 minutes I force quitted, de-installed everything (ie.  I placed the aurora folder in the trash and emptied it) and then I redownloaded and re-installed from scratch.  Same result: The patched 554 version generates a new world pretty fast, but the 6. 0 version takes literally forever.  I left it running during the night, but it still wasn't finished this morning.

I have followed the instructions carefully, so I have had no problems with dll files or funny error messages yet, and I am using the default settings.  And as I said, the 5. 54 version seems to be wad.  So that is the one I will be using (trying to learn the game) until I find out how to upgrade to 6. 0

But what am I doing wrong? The problem is probably on my end, as I have not been able to find any complaints or bug reports about this particular issue.

Thanks.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Getting the game to run question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »
FAQ is only for questions for which the answer is already known.  For new users, it's best to post in "The Academy" until you get a feel for where things go.  There's more details in the "Where should I post" topic in the FAQ section.  I went ahead and fixed it as part of the enlightenment process :)

As for your question, two comments:

1)  I think I remember someone else mentioning a similar behavior (in one of the bugs threads?).  IIRC they were able to change what they were doing to solve the problem.  Maybe it was that they were starting with a much bigger population???

2)  It sounds like you're also generating NPR.  How many?  NPR have a tendency to populate the rest of the galaxy (and slow down the game) earlier, so I would use at most one or zero (others will be generated through your own exploration).  Have you tried what you did with zero NPR.

After doing a little of the above investigating, I would go ahead and post what you know in the official bugs thread (even if it's a "me too").

Have Fun!!!

John

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I forgot I changed the population to 5000k, this perhaps explains part of the problem.  But I didn't change the NPG number.  Any way, I have a working copy (5. 54), and this is all I need.  In due time, when I have found out if I have the brains to really play this game, I will try to upgrade to 6. 0, and report on my findings, but until then, well. . . 

So far I have enjoyed this game very much, and time hasn't even started yet  :)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
Do try to generate a game with no NPRs at all, then report back whether that worked or not. It could be the race generation bug that plagues v6.00 - normally it can be circumvented by pressing through the horde of error messages but perhaps those messages do not show up during initial game creation, or your system does not show them for some reason.