Author Topic: Out of fuel  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Renofox (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
Out of fuel
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:25:21 PM »
One of my freighters ran out of fuel, and I couldn't figure out how to have the other freighter refuel it.  So I built a tug, but still can't figure out how to order a ship to approach another one and/or provide assistance.  How can I get the stranded freighter back home?

Also, can I have independent ships without assigning them into one ship task groups?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Out of fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
Are both freighters in the same TG? If so, you should be able to equalize fuel. If not, you'll need a ship marked as a tanker. Otherwise you can use SM mode to move the disabled ship to a colony.

As for tugs, I've never used them. But there should be a tow type order.

No. All ships are assigned to task groups.

Offline Renofox (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
They're in different groups.  I figured I'd need to join them into same group to transfer fuel, but I couldn't find out how to do that.  I can move ships between groups when they're at the same planet, but the freighter is stuck in open space and I don't know how to order other units to move to it.

Offline Saibot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Both tugging and fuel transfers can be handled on the miscellaneous tab of the individual ship screen. The only tractoring command I've seen on task group window is to tractor a shipyard, and I think only ships flagged as tankers get fuel related commands other than refuel self.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
They're in different groups.  I figured I'd need to join them into same group to transfer fuel, but I couldn't find out how to do that.  I can move ships between groups when they're at the same planet, but the freighter is stuck in open space and I don't know how to order other units to move to it.

Are your task groups visible as destinations on the order screen? If not, there is a checkbox in the middle of the window to show task groups. Then you can send your fueled freighter to that task group. Once they are in the same location you should be able to manually transfer fuel.

Offline Renofox (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=6329. msg64370#msg64370 date=1374431607
Are your task groups visible as destinations on the order screen? If not, there is a checkbox in the middle of the window to show task groups.  Then you can send your fueled freighter to that task group.  Once they are in the same location you should be able to manually transfer fuel.

Thanks, that solved it! I checked the box, and successfully got the tug to move to the freighter.  I established the tractor link, but I couldn't move because "Tug #1 has run out of fuel", despite having 100% full tanks.  However, I transferred fuel from the tug to the freighter, and got both ships safely home.