Author Topic: Difference between Comm and Mil Designs  (Read 1233 times)

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
Difference between Comm and Mil Designs
« on: August 02, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
Somehow im still unable to grasp the differences between these two design types.
I think its something about a combination of annual fail rate, overhaul (reset clock), crew deploy time and max repair item / repair supplies.
Can someone please elaborate, it would be much appreciated ?

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: Difference between Comm and Mil Designs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
1. Military designs require maintenance. Failure to provide one (for example having insufficient facilities or having the ship deployed in deep space) results in certain components breaking down, which drains maintenance supplies. The higher the "maintenance clock" the higher the failure rate. Civilian designs do not require maintenance and their components to not break down so all they need is a single engineering section to allow them to operate indefinitely. It should be noted that it is possible to disable the maintenance feature.

2. Intended deployment time affects morale, which affects reaction times (and possibly hit chances, not sure about that). While it does affect the speed at which civilian ships react to danger, it's inconsequential. As such civilian designs are completely fine with minimal (usually three months) intended deployment time. Military vessels usually need more, but how much more depends on the mission of a specific design.

3. Military vessels can only be built in military yards. Civilian vessels can be built in either commercial or military yards.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
Commercial designs don't need to be overhauled, don't suffer from failures, and thus don't need much repair supplies. Also morale doesn't matter except for geo survey on commercial designs, so they need a minimum deployment time of 3 months.
Military designs suffer from failures, annual failure rate depends how often. Repair supplies are used to fix those failures as well as battle damage. Overhaul is necessary if the clock goes over the maintenance lifetime of the ship, as failures will accumulate. Deployment time determines how long a ship can be out before morale begins to drop, which reduces efficiency of the crew.

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
So, stacking up on repair parts on Comm vessels is totally useless ?

And i have survey vessel that is Comm and has 72 months of deploy time, which i snow at 78. But i cant overhaul is, i get an error in the log that says freighters dont need overhaul.
Still the morale drops, and the log gets spammed.

?

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
To raise morale you just need to leave your ship at a populated colony. Your ship is okay, your crew isn't. Crews need shore leave, that will reduce the deployed time back to 0 after a while.

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Aaaah. Got it.

Thanks !