Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 56760 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »
Awesome.

Offline Felixg

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
Awesome to hear! I hope the C programming goes well!

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
2) I finally started C# Aurora :). This is a very long-term project but it occurred to me that rather than reading while the turns were processing, I could be programming. The problem has always been that I didn't think I could maintain enthusiasm for such a large project, especially when I could be playing or working on VB6 Aurora instead. However, doing it this way allows me to rewrite in C# without actually giving up playing time. The downside is that is will take a long time and I might never get there :) but at least I finally started.
Bad Steve!  Please be distracted by getting 7.2 out instead.  I'm enjoying the campaign, but I have a really good idea lined up and ready to go when 7.2 arrives.  (I have no opinion on the programming aspects.)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
Pretty sure he is testing presently, so to some extent he seems to be doing so.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
don't be a nagger guys  8)

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »
don't be a nagger guys  8)

This. I'd also like to point out that in order to release 7.2 he needs to test the changes, which he's doing by playing the current campaign. Ergo there is nothing he can do to speed up the process and the C# programming should not take away from it, as he'll be practicing while playing the campaign.
And again, don't be a nagger.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
That was meant to be in jest, but re-reading my comment and the responses, it looks like it wasn't take that way.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
you guys are looking at it backwards.  7.2 like all new versions is a PRODUCT of Steve's campaign, his campaign isn't a test of 7.2
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
Looking back at the 10 years Aurora has been going, the game today, while reminiscent of the original, is vastly superior in every way.  Whatever Steve does with the C# version will more than likely blow our minds further because it won't just be an improvement here or there, but he will be able to streamline areas of the current version of Aurora that he has been hesitant to do because of the effort to reward ratio being too low.  I'm excited by both 7.2 coming out in the near (relatively speaking) term and what we eventually see from C#.

Offline Spaceman Spiff

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=7890. msg87492#msg87492 date=1456856690
2) I finally started C# Aurora :).  This is a very long-term project but it occurred to me that rather than reading while the turns were processing, I could be programming.  The problem has always been that I didn't think I could maintain enthusiasm for such a large project, especially when I could be playing or working on VB6 Aurora instead.  However, doing it this way allows me to rewrite in C# without actually giving up playing time.  The downside is that is will take a long time and I might never get there :) but at least I finally started.
That's suuuuuuper exciting news! :D

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:07 AM »
That is awesome news. So the big question: is that going to be C# Aurora or C# Newtonian Aurora? (Fingers crossed for the second!)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2016, 02:12:44 AM »
you guys are looking at it backwards.  7.2 like all new versions is a PRODUCT of Steve's campaign, his campaign isn't a test of 7.2
Half and half as I understand it. From what I gather steve starts these campaigns mainly to test new features he's adding (and presumably also for fun) but then as he plays he finds new features he could add.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
That is awesome news. So the big question: is that going to be C# Aurora or C# Newtonian Aurora? (Fingers crossed for the second!)

It is a recreation of current Aurora, although as I am starting from scratch I can do things in a much more efficient way (everything is loaded into memory at start-up) and make some fundamental changes (such as removing the need for populations to be based at system bodies) to make further expansion easier. The windows should be cleaner but similar in function and general functionality will be very similar to normal Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, xeryon, Neophyte, Spaceman Spiff

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
Great news! 

I'm not a programmer or familiar with what a C# change will allow, so if somebody could explain it that'd be great.   Will it be able to use multiple cores?  64bit integers?  Resizable windows for tiny screens?  Mobile compatible?  Do my taxes and paint my house?

Thanks for your game and your time, Steve!

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
Great news! 

I'm not a programmer or familiar with what a C# change will allow, so if somebody could explain it that'd be great.   Will it be able to use multiple cores?  64bit integers?  Resizable windows for tiny screens?  Mobile compatible?  Do my taxes and paint my house?

Thanks for your game and your time, Steve!

It won't be available for mobile or tiny screens :). It should be more flexible than current because you can set up controls to order themselves to the available space. I haven't given much thought to resolution yet though - still very early stages.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte