Author Topic: Economics  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Economics
« on: November 24, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
Steve, or anyone else who may know the answer, are you able to tell me on what basis the planets produce their trade goods?

I know the screen is not perfect and virtually doesn't serve any actual purpose (sadly) as my empire currently it's running in an eternal shortfall of pharmaceuticals which should lead to the population stop growing or even reducing if such features were implemented.

Besides, the way some planets lacks entirely some products puzzles me, so unless completely random, there should be something that regulates these things and I wish I could know.

Thanks

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
Re: Economics
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
Which goods are produced by a planet are random, except everything produces infrastructure and currently no colonies can produce ancient artifacts. In VB6, I believe colonies with what was turned into constructs could produce artifacts, but that doesn't seem to happen in C#.

Quantities clearly scale with planetary population, and I believe is affected by governor wealth modifier, but I do not know the mechanics.

Aside from infrastructure, the different goods have no actual gameplay effect. Like, trading pharma is the same as trading chemicals.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
I forget the exact number but as a colony reaches various population thresholds, new trade good begin to be produced at that planet.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:18 AM »
I forget the exact number but as a colony reaches various population thresholds, new trade good begin to be produced at that planet.

Yes I explored the database looking for answers. All trade goods are available at 10m mark with some available earlier like installation and construction materials for instace.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 01:05:12 AM »
I never understood this part, admittedly.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:17:43 PM »
There's really not much to understand. Your civilian cargo ships will move trade goods from planets where there is an excess to planets which have a shortfall. Each trip earns the shipping line money, and you get a percentage as taxes. Shipping lines spend the money on new ships.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
Which goods are produced by a planet are random, except everything produces infrastructure and currently no colonies can produce ancient artifacts.

Just checked the DB, I think there must be a bug there because all inputs are entered and there is no reason for a colony to do not produce the Ancient Artifacts unless a hidden formula on core mechanics has not been abled yet.

EDIT: I think I will try to move them to a general category and activate the Rare Goods, so if everything working as it supposed to they should be included in the same RNG but being rare they will be produced only sometimes?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:02:50 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 03:41:03 PM »
Which goods are produced by a planet are random, except everything produces infrastructure and currently no colonies can produce ancient artifacts.

Just checked the DB, I think there must be a bug there because all inputs are entered and there is no reason for a colony to do not produce the Ancient Artifacts unless a hidden formula on core mechanics has not been abled yet.

EDIT: I think I will try to move them to a general category and activate the Rare Goods, so if everything working as it supposed to they should be included in the same RNG but being rare they will be produced only sometimes?

- I thought only colonies with Ruins could produce Alien Artifacts?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
Presumably that's what the category thing handles, though I thought in VB6 it was anomalies (and now constructs). But I just looked at the wiki and I remembered wrong, it was ruins.

I haven't made any big colonies on planets that had ruins, so maybe it is working.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »
Presumably that's what the category thing handles, though I thought in VB6 it was anomalies (and now constructs). But I just looked at the wiki and I remembered wrong, it was ruins.

I haven't made any big colonies on planets that had ruins, so maybe it is working.

It's not working; colonies on planets with ruins or constructs or both don't produce Alien Artifacts.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:04 PM »

Nope, net working (and never has in VB either).   I think that its such a minor aspect of the income to the civilians and therefore even more trivial to the Empire finances, that Steve hasn't spent time on tracking it down. 

It might get looked at if Steve ever decides that revamping  civilians is important for him, but I really wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation  (not that I have a huge amount to hold anyway!). 

There are so many more cool/interesting/annoying/shiny things to claim his attention.
Slàinte,

Mike

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »

You may see the actual answer to this here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12365.0