Author Topic: Hardware Specs  (Read 1293 times)

Spartus

Hardware Specs
« on: December 14, 2020, 07:16:06 AM »
Last week, my desktop PC gave up the ghost after a weather related power failure.   Pretty sure the motherboard is fried.   It was getting a bit dated but was still quite capable, certainly better than my ancient laptop Ive had to dust off to remain connected.   Fortunately, insurance will cover the damage and there's quite a few decent sales on PC parts this time of year.   What I'm curious about is what sort of hardware would Aurora benefit from the most?  I'm planning on a good SSD to supplement my current (hopefully still functional) HDD, which I'm hoping will improve save and load times.   As far as a processor is concerned, would Aurora benefit from higher clock speeds or more cores?  What about RAM? 

I dont mind spending a few $ on quality hardware if it improves performance significantly but my tech knowledge is a bit limited.   Surely someone out there can enlighten me.   Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. . .

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Hardware Specs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
To my knowledge, Aurora VB and C# are still single-threaded. So additional cores won't help Aurora. RAM and SSD are your best bets for improvements. CPU speed is never bad.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 11:07:30 AM »
Higher single-core clock speed (aka higher boost speed), along with higher memory speeds are what you want (some profiling I did a while back suggests that Aurora has pretty bad memory locality, though I have no hard numbers). But of course when playing this game it's also possible to get too focused on the boost speed and buy an older generation processor that happened to have a 0.1Ghz higher boost speed. That's nice, but the older generation processors have a lower overall IPC, so it's a net loss. On the other hand, the best processors from both Intel and AMD are basically unobtanium right now.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
There also isn't any need to go overboard. I have AMD FX8350 which is by now a pretty old CPU but it runs Aurora C# turn speeds really well. Having an SSD for speeding up database read/write and plenty of RAM are probably more important than having a crazy fast CPU.

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
The best hardware upgrade you can make to make your Aurora experience better is probably more screens  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
The best hardware upgrade you can make to make your Aurora experience better is probably more screens  ;D
This TBH.
It doesn't matter how long the turns take if your monitor can't show you the bottom of the windows, or you spend half your time swapping between the galactic map and the fleet orders screen.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »

Very true. I was pondering only the other day where I would put a third screen if I were to buy one…