Author Topic: Automation and Miniturization  (Read 1438 times)

Offline PTTG (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Automation and Miniturization
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:40:18 AM »
Two new tech tracks that allow for more refinement of existing techs.

All tech that produce ship equipment (basically everything except for biology) would have two new tech tracks: Miniaturization and Automation.  These would apply only to the tree they are researched in; Power Plant miniaturization would not effect devices from the Defensive tree, for instance.

Miniaturization would decrease the size of ship items.  Miniaturization I would decrease the size of items in the tree by perhaps 2%, without effecting performance or other statistics of the equipment.  On the other hand, the demand for special manufacturing equipment and particularly fine materials would result in the cost of the equipment increasing.  In the case of actively designed equipment such as engines and weapons, new miniaturized versions of the equipment would have to be designed to take advantage of the research.  Weapon classes already have techs like this, with tradeoffs such as decreased fire rate.  This would be different, making all elements smaller by relatively small amounts.

Automation decreases the crew demands of an item in much the same way as a miniaturization decreases the size.  Some items or classes of items would have minimum crew demands- at least one crew member per fuel tank, or one sensor control crewman.  Construction equipment ships like asteroid mines and gate builders would most likely have very high demands.  A useful spinoff of this section would be having a colony structure automation tech that allows colony buildings to function with smaller populations or else to partially function even when unmanned.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Automation and Miniturization
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
Good idea. It would be awesome to send 50 terraforming installations to an uninhabited planet so you won't need infrastructure or maintenance supplies.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:20 AM »
Why not a further research track for making things cheaper?  Manufacturing or so.

I believe that this can be balanced by a slight increase in high end equipment cost, as well as the fact that by researching this track they will be using up RP that could have gone to Automation or Miniturization.

Additionally, I feel that miniturization should perhaps have a greater effect on fighter-only equipment (gets stuff EVEN SMALLER, but using more costly equipment).  This should provide a much needed boost to the viability of fighters.  Perhaps even boost missiles?  Though I am reluctant on missile boost since they are already the prime weapon, even if it logically makes sense that miniturization would effect it.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
If anything for miniaturization, I would see that helping beam weapons quite a lot. Especially if one of the tech lines was to reduce the penalty to recharge rate that lasers get with reduced sized emplacements. Reduced size right now gives you reduced effectiveness, excluding box launchers which really ought to be a separate tech tree anyway.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus