Author Topic: wrecks, derelict ships and reusing them.  (Read 3920 times)

Offline DFDelta (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
wrecks, derelict ships and reusing them.
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
I think those suggestions were not made before, at least I can't remember reading them yet.  ;D

1.) A greater "range" of wrecks. Currently, as far as I know, a wreck is a wreck is a wreck. I'd like the game to know how badly a wreck is wrecked and put them in different categories. A 8000 ton ship that was abandoned after a few high tech beam lasers punctured the armor and cut out the bridge and most of the life support but hardly anything else could count as a derelict ship instead of a wreck, a 3000 ton missile craft that managed to get hit by a strength 16 missile that blew its magazine should end up as mere ship debris and be called such. This state of the wreck should have impact on just how much you can gain out of salvage operations.
Derelict ship > wreck > ruined ship > ship debris

2.) I'd like an option to transport a wreck or derelict ship home to a shipyard (via tug, or maybe even carry it in a hangar) and just let my technicians have their way with it, giving them a low chance to make that ship functional again, tough missing a few parts.
Maybe a new page on the ship menu (F6) that lists all wrecks/derelicts you have currently stored in your shipyards. There you can see a list of the components that are still functional and the tonnage of this wreck.
At first the components are unknown, and the only thing your techs can tell you if it seems functional or not.
Code: [Select]
Wreck 2088, unknown origin (pregenerated, or the race name if you shot it down/it was yours to beginn with), 7000 ton
* Unknown weapon (destroyed)
* Unknown weapon (destroyed)
* Unknown weapon (likely functional)
* Unknown electronic hardware (partly funtional) *note: shields, ECM/ECCM, sensors
* Unknown structural hardware (destroyed) *note: crew, magazines, fuel, cargo
... you get the idea.

Now our techs had a few months (and a good Xeno team as backup) and came up with some of the uses of our unknowns.
Code: [Select]
Wreck 2088, unknown origin, 7000 ton
* Dual Meson Turret ;Cap, Size, RangeMod (destroyed)
* Dual Meson Turret ;Cap, Size, RangeMod (destroyed)
* Triple Laser Turret ;Cap, Size, Wavelenght (functional)
* 4x Shield generator ;Strenght, Recharge (funtional)
 - 2x Shield generator ;Strenght, Recharge (destroyed)
* Unknown structural hardware (destroyed) *note: crew, magazines, fuel, cargo
... you get the idea.

Once everything is known you get the options to salvage the whole thing, netting you the same materials as a salvage ship, you can gut it for parts, getting you some of the components (some are destroyed in the process, taking unknown tech apart without knowing how to put it back together and such things...), or you can try to repair it and press it into service. That removes the ship from the wreckage page and moves it into ship designs (F5), where it is on a new page. All the destroyed parts are gone, and you can insert your own components into the hull, until you reached the original size of this ship. Only derelict ships and wrecks can be pressed into service, ruined ships and debris only have the former two options.

Those repurposed ships use up 20% more maintenance and have a 10% shorter clock time, but they might give you pretty nice high-tech equipment. And what beats the awesomeness of defeating some alien race with the repurposed wrecks of their own ships?

Also to be able to do the repurposing you'd need a shipyard with sufficient size and nothing else to do.
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: wrecks, derelict ships and reusing them.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:41 AM »
I surprisingly like this idea.
Though I'd be nice if "destroyed hardware" would just be converted to some "destroyed hardware material", and you'd have to leave 10% inside so the ship is less combatready than the real thing.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:23:12 AM »
+1

Like this idea to!

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
+1 as well, thats a pretty cool idea.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
+1, almost like ruins.
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »
+5, Definitely like this.

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
this would be a REALLY cool mechanic if you ask me

+10

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
Me like!

+20

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
Definitely like this idea... I've always thought that not every ship explodes into a million billion pieces and there should be some rather nice hulks drifting around out there waiting to be salvaged.  These could also be salvaged after a time by enterprising individuals looking to go pirating... er privateering.

Adam.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
There are a couple of ways to handle something like this. One is to have some form of ancient wrecks that are recoverable as damaged ships. The other is to have damage that results in a damaged but non-wrecked ship that was abandoned for some reason. The latter is more realistic but more complicated. I think the best way to handle it would be to track life support during the game, not just during ship design. If life support is taken out and you fail to repair it, the crew starts to die. If all the crew dies a ship becomes abandoned rather than wrecked and can be recovered (Salvage Team?).

In addition, if I am going to track crew numbers and life support, I should also track the effects of the crew being reduced below the minimal level required to run the ship. The easiest way would be a negative crew grade modifier and perhaps an increasing inability to control key systems.

Steve

Offline Corik

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
This suggestion is awesome. Would be awesome too if wrecks and derelict ships could be found in a system with ruins in a planet. If there was an ancient advanced civilization around that system, their old and damaged ships could perfectly be there.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
Another thought I just had - when I eventually get around to plagues and biological warfare, that would be a very good reason for abandoned (but perhaps infected) ships.

Steve

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
spinoffs:

a backup control computer component that reduces crew grade loss from damage and if the crew dies attempts to return automatically to a shipyard.

// possible option for robot ships?

// robot ships have a control computer component, ship goes neutral when computer is damaged.  Automated repair can try to bring it back online?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
If crew can be reduced to below effective level then crew modules that give life support to more crew members then the required minimum should be able to house reserves.  Say staffing on a ship is 550 and you put three full crew chambers in it for a total life support of 750.  I should be able to have 200 reserve staff on-board.  In a battle my reserves can fill in for casualties.  The tradeoff is increased weight and building expense and less flexibility if life support systems are damaged in battle.  A maxed out crew would suffer more when life support goes down.  Alternatively I could add crew modules with no staff housed in them to have redundant life support systems.  This also puts a unique spin on rescuing wreck survivors in/after a battle.

I guess what I am saying is how about letting us decided how many crew to put on board?  A ship needs a minimum to fly and cannot house more then max life support but we can designate anything in between during ship design phase.

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
If crew can be reduced to below effective level then crew modules that give life support to more crew members then the required minimum should be able to house reserves.  Say staffing on a ship is 550 and you put three full crew chambers in it for a total life support of 750.  I should be able to have 200 reserve staff on-board.  In a battle my reserves can fill in for casualties.  The tradeoff is increased weight and building expense and less flexibility if life support systems are damaged in battle.  A maxed out crew would suffer more when life support goes down.  Alternatively I could add crew modules with no staff housed in them to have redundant life support systems.  This also puts a unique spin on rescuing wreck survivors in/after a battle.

I guess what I am saying is how about letting us decided how many crew to put on board?  A ship needs a minimum to fly and cannot house more then max life support but we can designate anything in between during ship design phase.
+100