Author Topic: Split Database?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Havear (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • H
Split Database?
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
I'm not sure if it's possible in VB6 or how hard it would be, but my suggestion is to split the core game files and the campaign files into separate databases, and preferably every campaign has it's own database file. It would certainly be easier to play via dropbox or email by sending a small database then the entire game database every turn.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Split Database?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
I'm not sure if it's possible in VB6 or how hard it would be, but my suggestion is to split the core game files and the campaign files into separate databases, and preferably every campaign has it's own database file. It would certainly be easier to play via dropbox or email by sending a small database then the entire game database every turn.

If it had been done at the start, it would be easy enough to do. But I'm guessing this would require a major rewrite from the ground up (based on my knowledge of VB6 and Access).

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
When I start a new game I copy the c:\aurora folder and make a c:\aurora2 folder and new shortcut, this way the databases never mix.

You can also do this now by copying the folders and db files, then deleting each of the game you do not like and compacting, and doing the same for the copy db.

All fairly simple in the end.

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
hmm maybe it would be possible, that the game used a set DB to create games.
with a new game, a copy of the DB is created and then played with. this way every game could have its own DB.
selecting a DB or to create a new game(DB copy) at the beginning should be possible without too much work.

the DB seems to get big here, with several games running, it could use alot of space then.
but the different game DBs should be relativly clean then, without redundant data for the specific game.
in additon, you can only break a single game if something should go very wrong, because new games are created from a clean DB.