Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Accidents
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
Ships should experience semi-random accidents. I will first describe why I think that is sensible in terms of realism and gaming, then how it could be implemented very easily within the existing framework, and finally how this would change the game in a positive way.

Motivation:
Space is a pretty hostile environment and spaceflight is challenging. Every now and then something is bound to go wrong, and when it does it can actually go quite horribly wrong. Certainly accidents have happened in spaceflight, but also in normal flight and in ordinary shipping. Granted most errors have little consequences or are discovered before they develop into a major problem, but some of the most notable historic events in spaceflight or seafaring involve accidents that were not contained quite easily.

Currently the game covers this aspect through “maintenance failures”. When this occurs, maintenance supplies are deducted from the ship’s stock if available and nothing happens. Only when insufficient supplies are available things start to go badly. Hence currently players can prevent major accidents 100% by making sure sufficient maintenance supplies are available. A minor twist could change this and introduce a more interesting and realistic situation.

Implementation:
This could be implemented by an additional check for maintenance failures. Failures can be “noticed beforehand” or come “unexpected” with some chance (Say 90%/10:

• A noticed failure is subject to the same rules as they currently stand: The crew spends some maintenance supplies if they are available but the system is not in fact impaired. I.e. a sign of fatigue is found on a bit of the system, which is replaced before something goes wrong.
  • An “unexpected” failure would destroy (or damage?) the ship component in question (regardless of remaining supply points) with the normal rules applied to destroyed ship components. So for an engine, power plant or magazine this could result in a sizable “secondary” explosion, potentially affecting other components as well (just as normally happens when damage is applied). I.e. a system develops an unnoticed error that causes it to fail with the normal consequences of failure.

Effects on the game:
Most maintenance failures would be “noticed beforehand” and thus be little more than a side-remark in the event log. A smaller part would be “unexpected” and thus result in damage to one system. Normally this would be limited damage that can be repaired via on board emergency-repairs (using twice as many supplies, as by the current rules), or through shipyards. In rare occurrences damage would be very significant due to “secondary” explosions which might even lead to the loss of a ship. Players could minimize but not eliminate this by frequent overhauls and a large number of engineering modules. Additional computational requirements would likely be very limited.

I think the effect would be an interesting layer of gameplay through the new feature of space catastrophes. Because this would occur seldom it would not increase micromanagement by a lot, but instead provide an out-of-the ordinary event which players must react to – start search and rescue operations, potentially savage wrecks, relief a stranded vessel whose sole engine was destroyed (maybe tow it back home via a tug?).

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Accidents
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
Sounds like an interesting addition. 

The changes that are rumored to be coming in 5.7 regarding personnel and training could go a long way to making this even more interesting.  TF training, crew morale and fatigue could be be additional factors that increase the chances for accidents to occur.

I always thought there was one personnel skill that was overlooked and that would be engineering.  A navel officer with engineering skills would be able to slow the maintenance clock, reduce the number of maintenance supplies consumed, reduce the annual failure rates and with this suggestion it would mitigate accidents.

I always thought Aurora was missing a good Kaylee.

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
hmm i think you allready pay as much as a new component would cost in maintainence supplys for a failture.
in addition you can repair destroyed systems with the same number of maintainence supplys and some time spend repairing/building.

so youre idear that it would require 2x maintainence supplys would be odd, because you could build it new with just 1x allready, maybe you could argue that an repair could be cheaper then the required 1x maintainence supplys for a compleat replacement.

idk if you had bigger ships, but they experiance alot of maintainence problems, if there would be a chance for secundary explosions from engines, powerplants or magazines, every time, large ships would get less interresting quickly.

about officer eneneering skill - something like this is allready in place

youre crew experience will reduce or increase the chances for maintainence failures, if i understand it right.
still i dont think the commanding officer has any effects. - so maybe an engeneering skill would be interresting.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
ships do have accidents if you don't maintain them. some parts will just fail, others can fail catastrophically and blow up the ship(engines and reactors typically).

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Sounds like an interesting addition.  [...]
Thanks! The frequency of maintenance failures is already linked to a number of factors, which could also be used to further distinguish between the prevented/noticed failures and the actual unexpected failures.

hmm i think you allready pay as much as a new component would cost in maintainence supplys for a failture.
in addition you can repair destroyed systems with the same number of maintainence supplys and some time spend repairing/building.

so youre idear that it would require 2x maintainence supplys would be odd, because you could build it new with just 1x allready, maybe you could argue that an repair could be cheaper then the required 1x maintainence supplys for a compleat replacement.
As far as I know, you do already pay 2x for repairing via the "emergency repair" option. At any rate, I am not proposing any changes to the repair procedures. I am merely suggesting that maintenance failures should sometimes result in destroyed systems even when sufficient supplies are available.

idk if you had bigger ships, but they experiance alot of maintainence problems, if there would be a chance for secundary explosions from engines, powerplants or magazines, every time, large ships would get less interresting quickly.
Not necessarily. The failure chances are primarily based on engineering quarters per tonnage, so larger ships are not more vulnerable than the same tonnage in smaller ships, nor is it inherently more likely that damage occurs to vital systems. Actually larger ships might have a certain advantage because it is more economical to add damage control systems to these. Moreover, the larger total of engineering components allows larger ships to cope with damage betters (In a fleet of smaller ships an engineering section on ship A could not support repairs on ship B).

ships do have accidents if you don't maintain them. some parts will just fail, others can fail catastrophically and blow up the ship(engines and reactors typically).
That is correct, but currently this only happens if you do not have sufficient maintenance supplies on board. Thus you can prevent this from happening 100%. I am arguing that this is a) not realistic as catastrophic failure does occur even on generally well-maintained systems (and certainly on routinely maintained systems) and b) it would be more fun to have this as a meaningful feature of the game (i.e. one that you can not circumvent completely)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
How often do you envision this happening? What are the chances of a reasonably well maintained ship suffering a catastrophic maintenance failure?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
I am merely suggesting that maintenance failures should sometimes result in destroyed systems even when sufficient supplies are available.
I can kind of see it in theory. But in practice it doesn't seem like it would have any significant effect in the current damage control paradigm, since virtually any damage is repairable. Only isolated ships would be affected. (Or ship groups with low overall supplies.)

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Just to elaborate a bit further: I have been eagerly reading some AARs, and it simply stroke me as odd that during man's first serious steps in the Universe, no major accident occurred. No equivalent of the Challenger, K-27 or HMS Vanugard or USS Maine.

I also remember reading a thread by a new player who's ships kept on blowing up on him. At first he actually viewed that as a game feature (and enjoyed it!), but decided to post when it kept on happening. Of course it quickly turned out he had blundered by placing large powerplants on ships without the need or capacity to maintain them. That was rectified and I think he never lost a ship to accidents again. And has any of you lost a ship to anything other than enemy force? Should that not happen once in a while? Would it not be cool to start rescue operations and all that?

How often do you envision this happening? What are the chances of a reasonably well maintained ship suffering a catastrophic maintenance failure?
I do not have any hard number in mind, and of course it depends on the number of ships, the maintenance level and the fragility of the critical components (magazine ejection chance, or "overpowered" engines).

Basically the chance would be relatively low: 1) A maintenance failure would have to occur 2) It would have to be rolled as "unexpected" 3) It would need to occur on a component that can cause secondary explosions 4) The component would have to fail the role deciding on secondary explosions 5) the resulting damage would need to be large enough to either destroy the ship or cause enough follow-up secondary explosions for the ship to fail. A loss of ship would only when all five conditions are met, which should be quite seldom.

From an it-adds-an-interesting-element-to-the-game-but-does-not-happen-too-frequently-to-be-unenjoyable point of view I would suggest that, for an average game, a ship-loss could occur once or twice a decade, but I am quite open on that.

I can kind of see it in theory. But in practice it doesn't seem like it would have any significant effect in the current damage control paradigm, since virtually any damage is repairable. Only isolated ships would be affected. (Or ship groups with low overall supplies.)
Agreed, and I dont think it should. After all damage control may be relevant in battle when damage is accumulating quickly, while normally it would not really matter if it takes one or two hours to repair that sensor that just broke.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
I did have a Gravsurvey ship that ran out of maintenance supplies when its jump engine broke down. I was unable to get another ship there in time, and eventually it suffered catastrophic system failure and exploded.

I sadly realized only later that I had a maximum of 99 maintenance supplies in the design, but it took 100 to fix the grav sensors. That led to a bit of redesign and retrofitting later on. (The grav sensors had an unfortunate tendancy to fail, rendering the ship useless for its designed purpose.)

I'm guessing that ships that "accidentally" end up inside the event horizon of a class seven black hole while exploring a jump point don't really count, do they?
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
Just having random "bloops you lost a ship" doesn't add much, but perhaps there should be a morale/wealth bonus to rescuing said survivors within time. No random event, if they are going to be added, should be entirely negative(or necessarily positive for that matter).

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
The concept has merit but I agree that it does need to mean something in the context of the big picture of your empire.  If it is just a renamed maintenance failure it ends up just being RP fun and likely not worth the time to implement.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:50 AM »
I'd be heavily against this. My question is this: Does randomly damaging sometimes mission-critical ships regardless of their state of repair actually add any fun or enjoyment to Aurora?

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »
If this was really, really rare I wouldnt mind. However, the 10% of each maintenance failure proposed in the first post is way too high.

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
Can't say I am a fan of this either. Perhaps with a suite of other 'random misfortune' options enabled at the game menu. Can't see me ever using it mind.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »
I did have a Gravsurvey ship that ran out of maintenance supplies when its jump engine broke down. I was unable to get another ship there in time, and eventually it suffered catastrophic system failure and exploded.
I sadly realized only later that I had a maximum of 99 maintenance supplies in the design, but it took 100 to fix the grav sensors. That led to a bit of redesign and retrofitting later on. (The grav sensors had an unfortunate tendancy to fail, rendering the ship useless for its designed purpose.)

See, you remembered it as one notable aspect of the game, and if you would be writing an AAR I am sure that you would retell the episode quite nicely. However I bet you won’t have that trouble again now that you know to put a sufficient number of maintenance supplies on board.

I'm guessing that ships that "accidentally" end up inside the event horizon of a class seven black hole while exploring a jump point don't really count, do they?

Well I would say it counts in one way: It demonstrates that a feature that unexpectedly causes some damage and forces you to re-think your plans can be a worthwhile and enjoyable addition to the game. It adds an aspect to the game without spelling “rocks fall, everyone dies”.

Just having random "bloops you lost a ship" doesn't add much, but perhaps there should be a morale/wealth bonus to rescuing said survivors within time. No random event, if they are going to be added, should be entirely negative(or necessarily positive for that matter).

Well currently the positive reward for rescuing the crew is that the crew, and its captain remain at your services. Additionally this avoids capture (or rescuing and “friendly” interviews) by another race. Conversely, rescuing foreigners might provide you with some intel points. I suspect Steve will add some aspects to captured/rescued crews in 5.7, as he already expressed willingness to look into that topic. So whatever it is, there are some benefits but I could agree that those could be more pronounced.

The concept has merit but I agree that it does need to mean something in the context of the big picture of your empire.  If it is just a renamed maintenance failure it ends up just being RP fun and likely not worth the time to implement.

Agreed. But even as it is, it would slightly increase the incentive for forward maintenance facilities in order to decrease failure probabilities. Along the lines of Nathan_, one could increase the benefits of rescuing stranded crews (moral, wealth?), which would encourage establishing a SAR service at areas of major traffic. The costs would be rather small: A “fighter” of a fighter engine plus fuel and maybe a jump-engine should get quite far in the 14-day lifepod endurance.

I'd be heavily against this. My question is this: Does randomly damaging sometimes mission-critical ships regardless of their state of repair actually add any fun or enjoyment to Aurora?

Well, since it is primarily a negative event it could be sensible to make it an optional feature.

But yes, I do think there is fun and enjoyment. If you really loose a critical ship in the worst possible moment you would need to scramble, figure out the best possible response to the new situation, get a replacement ASAP, decide whether you want to proceed or aboard… Compared to just moving along with a plan that sounds way more exciting.

Personally, I think that a small element of uncertainty adds to a game, as long as the uncertainty is not so large that you cannot sensibly formulate any plan.

If this was really, really rare I wouldnt mind. However, the 10% of each maintenance failure proposed in the first post is way too high.

I would agree that it has to be rare, and I am completely open to other percentages, the 10% was just for illustration purposes. Note that I did not suggest that you lose a ship in 10% of the maintenance failures. I suggested that (maybe) 10% of maintenance failures should result in damage to the affected component. I suspect that in the majority of cases this would affect a rather unimportant component like a fuel tank or a missile launcher, with the only consequence that the damage must be repaired. Even if an engine is affected it normally has a 95% chance of avoiding catastrophic failure (current rules). Let’s say critical components are affected 30% of the time a maintenance failure occurs, then the total chance of a secondary explosion is 10%*30%*5%; I.e. you could expect roundabout one internal explosion per 700 maintenance failures. And even a minority of secondary explosions would likely lead to the loss an otherwise undamaged ship. But again, I am entirely open for other percentages than the 10% initially suggested, just wanting to make sure the principal suggestion was understood correctly.