Author Topic: Quicktime Events  (Read 1382 times)

Offline jimz (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • j
Quicktime Events
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »
Bad things happen.
It's not about to prevent them but how to deal with it.
Those quicktime events should offer an easy and simple way to simulate it.

A small window pops up with informations about what happened, where it happened and what damage it did.

For example by increasing the temperature on mars the ice sheets melt.
Now a small part of the colony enjoys a pool party at their roofs because the area is flooded.
What do you do?

-Rescue the colonists
-Prevent the water from doing more damage to your factories and infrastructure

Or just press cancel to ignore it.

So now let's what happens:
Case 1: You rescue them
This takes some wealth (those rescue teams also want to be paid) and destroys parts of the infrastructure or even a few factories since you didn't stop the water.
Case 2: You save the infrastructure
This needs even more wealth and time so your factories are disabled for some time.  Unfortunately you couldn't save all the colonists because you didn't have enough personell for this and unrest is rising.
Case 3: You try both!
Split your forces and hope for the best.  It should be random decided if you manage to save both, only one or if you mess everything up.
Case 4: Ignore
It won't cost you anything but you loose colonists and infrastructure.

That's how it should be like and of course noone tells you what consequences the actions have.
They should be both: random and connected to earlier actions.

Of course there should be some pure random events that don't require and actions since they happens always and everywhere.

I hope you like this idea since it's, I think, easy to implement and gives you even more the feeling about controlling an empire.

Btw sorry for any grammar mistakes you might find

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Quicktime Events
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
So basically you want to create a Hearts Of Iron event system, but randomized with the consequences hidden from the player? Sort of like Galactic Civ?

A system like RON: GPS might be better. All you would get is an estimate in current damages (cost to contain), and an estimate of long term cleanup damage cost (cost to fix). You then pool your wealth into the problem until it goes away.

While I don't like this simply because it feels very gamy, there is not enough use for wealth at the moment and random disasters on planets may distract from play if the rescue where "simulated".

Offline jimz (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
Well, it just was an example (maybe a bad one :P).
And I don't think this would distract the player since those events require only a few seconds of the players time and the consequences shouldn't be too drastical so he has to change his plans or that might be gamebreaking.

It would just spice up things up and bring more randomness into the game.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
I think this should come after planets are actually somewhat simulated. A planet with 99% water surface should impose certain penalties on building factories in the first place.
And I agree it's gamy, but a bit of this probably wouldn't hurt.
A lot more attractive to me than random catastrophic failures.