Author Topic: I miss the Romans  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
I miss the Romans
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »
I have been reading a trilogy I recently found at a used book store, and it got me thinking about these stories.  The books are Procurator, New Barbarians, and Cry Republic by Krik Mitchell, and they are about a Roman Empire that survived to modern times in an alternate universe.  Interesting books, but they got me thinking about these stories, and I have to say, I think that this set of stories conveyed the background and "feeling" of a modern Rome just as well as the books I've been reading, if not better.  

To bad you stopped writing them.

Kurt

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
Re: I miss the Romans
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
I have been reading a trilogy I recently found at a used book store, and it got me thinking about these stories.  The books are Procurator, New Barbarians, and Cry Republic by Krik Mitchell, and they are about a Roman Empire that survived to modern times in an alternate universe.  Interesting books, but they got me thinking about these stories, and I have to say, I think that this set of stories conveyed the background and "feeling" of a modern Rome just as well as the books I've been reading, if not better.  

Kurt

Kurt, I have read those books also. The only problem I had with the series was the unsatisfying end to Cry Republic. It felt like the author just got tired of the subject and stopped it suddenly to move on to something else. :cry:

And thank you for your compliment in my portrayal of a space-faring Roma. I have put my very best effort into trying to make them seem as if they were real. As for the Test of Wills stuff, I never stopped writing the stories, I just stopped posting it on Aurora. The reason why is it seemed there was no feedback or interest anymore, so I stopped. I have actually finished A Test of Wills: A Time of Fire, it came in a little over 194K words and 373 pages, and am now working on A Test of Wills: The Time of Blood. Below is a segment from the new story:

Terra, Homeworld of the Roman Republic

Casca stormed up the stone steps and entered the building housing the Roman government, an assembly of Senator’s and the leaders of the five hundred largest factions on Terra. It was an ancient and stratified mode of government, which had served well in the past but its own view of enlightened self-interest had proven to be its downfall in this matter. Casca could only hope it wasn’t a literal downfall which awaited them all.

“Honored Senators,” the Pro-Praetor of the Senate had all ready begun as Casca took his seat near the front of the chamber, his personal wealth and head of the military giving him a huge influence. “The Denevans have begun their assault on Africa Proconsularis.”

The room erupted in a muffled roar of exclamation and accusation. Casca merely sat still and said nothing. He’d seen this coming and was grateful his military commanders had too.

“We have planned for this!” The Pro-Praetor yelled over the forum. “All ready our Classis is fighting them in Africa Proconsularis, they are holding them steady and preparing to counterattack!”

The door at the back of the forum burst open and an exhausted aide staggered forward, it looked like he had run across the whole city though in truth it had just been the neighboring building. He ran up to Casca and said breathlessly, “The Denevans…” he gasped. “They’re across the border!”

He received a number of superior looks from the assembled Senators. “Yes, we know.” One of them said with a syrupy-sweet voice. “We are fighting them at Africa Proconsularis.”

“Africa Proconsularis?” the man winced. “No, they’re over the border at Baetica!”

“You should get your facts straight.” The Pro-Praetor began but was interrupted by Casca standing up.

“What have you heard about Baetica? Speak quickly.”

“A Denevan fleet crossed the border a couple of hours ago, we had next to nothing in the system, our guard fleets all went to Africa Proconsularis.” He relayed his story. “We received a distress signal and some sensor information, then it all went black.”

The room was suddenly completely silent; with Baetica gone the Denevans had a clear path to Noricum Ripense, the Capitol of the Europan Prefecture itself. Disturbing as that was it was even more worrying to the assembled leaders because virtually the entire Classis Basilikos was at Africa Proconsularis getting pinned down by a feint attack.

“They tricked us.” Casca shook his head. “It was all an elaborate bluff.”

“No.” The Pro-Praetor said forcefully. “It isn’t a trick, intelligence confirms the attack on Africa Proconsularis is being led by Fleet-Lord Tera’Kah himself! It must be the real attack!”

“It’s a bluff.” Casca repeated.

“They wouldn’t have their best commander lead a feint!”

Casca spun on the Pro-Praetor with a snarl. “Well they just did! They probably sent their best because they knew it would make the trap juicier for us, and we wandered right into it!”

“But Tera’Kah…”

“He is a Fleet-Lord and obeys his orders, by Mars’ bloody balls I bet he probably came up with the plan!” Casca grimaced. “By Iuppiter, we’ve been outsmarted on this one.”

“We need the Classis Basilikos to retreat back to Noricum Ripense.” The Imperator announced.

“And abandon Africa Proconsularis?” a Senator shouted. “My Gens has major holdings on Africa Proconsularis, it must be defended!”

“Not at the expense of Noricum Ripense and the Europan Prefecture.” The Pro-Praetor’s sense of self-preservation kicked in. “Get the ships back!”

“It isn’t that easy.” Casca found himself remaining calm and easily accepting the unfolding disaster. “The Classis has to disengage itself from the Denevans first, if they run they’ll be cut to pieces.”

“Well they need to get back to Noricum, if Europa falls, we’re helpless!” The Pro-Praetor yelled.

“If I were you Pro-Praetor, I’d get my affairs in order.” Casca looked at him and the now eerily silent Senatorial Forum. He had the right to tell them all he had predicted this and more preparations should have been taken to defend themselves, but it was pointless now and far too late. “And perhaps say a prayer to the Gods that you die in the bombardment and not the invasion itself.”

Cheers, Þórgrímr
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
I too have wondered what came of Roma Galactica.  Your stories are very well written, extremely enjoyable and I look forward to any additional writings you choose to share with us.

Adam.

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
I too have wondered what came of Roma Galactica.  Your stories are very well written, extremely enjoyable and I look forward to any additional writings you choose to share with us.

Adam.

If you folks here are really interested in me putting up more of my Roman stuff, give a shout. Since I do need plenty of feedback to polish them to a high sheen.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
I would love to hear more, your stories were what really started me reading the posted fiction as I am very interested in the Romans.  You have done an incredible job,  more than once, I found myself reading some of my Roman history books and thinking how well you translated them into the future.

Mark

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:45 PM »
Quote from: "Sotak246"
I would love to hear more, your stories were what really started me reading the posted fiction as I am very interested in the Romans.  You have done an incredible job,  more than once, I found myself reading some of my Roman history books and thinking how well you translated them into the future.

Mark

You three convinced me, I posted the next section of A Test of Wills: A Time of Fire.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:35 AM »
I absolutely loved your stuff. Am looking forward to reading more.
Thanks a lot for your effort
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »
Quote from: "Þórgrímr"
Quote from: "Kurt"

Kurt

Kurt, I have read those books also. The only problem I had with the series was the unsatisfying end to Cry Republic. It felt like the author just got tired of the subject and stopped it suddenly to move on to something else. :cry:

I had the distinct impression that the author wasn't done yet, as if he intended more books in the series.  As you said, a disappointing end.  

Quote from: "Þórgrímr"
And thank you for your compliment in my portrayal of a space-faring Roma. I have put my very best effort into trying to make them seem as if they were real. As for the Test of Wills stuff, I never stopped writing the stories, I just stopped posting it on Aurora. The reason why is it seemed there was no feedback or interest anymore, so I stopped. I have actually finished A Test of Wills: A Time of Fire, it came in a little over 194K words and 373 pages, and am now working on A Test of Wills: The Time of Blood. Below is a segment from the new story:

Terra, Homeworld of the Roman Republic

<snip>

Oh, I don't know if it was a lack of interest, probably just complacency.  Which is just as bad in some ways.  

Kurt

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Since Kirk Mitchell continued to write, and never again wrote about his Roma, I think he just got sick of it. IIRC, the Procurator trilogy was a success for him.

And Kurt I must thank you for this thread. It gave the folks who wanted to read more about Roma a reason to say so, and it let me know there was still interst here.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
The Roman stories are definitely some of the best stories here. Please keep writing AND posting them!

Thanks,
--Mav

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
The Roman stories are definitely some of the best stories here. Please keep writing AND posting them!

Thanks,
--Mav

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend, and I shall endeavor to persevere.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »
I'd like to add my vote of thanks for restarting the Roman storyline.  I've found them hugly enjoyable to read.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I'd like to add my vote of thanks for restarting the Roman storyline.  I've found them hugly enjoyable to read.

Welchbloke

Wow. I had no idea that it had a lot of folks watching it. My last few posts never seemed to catch anyones attention, and the lack of even one question of why I stopped from May till Kurt's post had me convinced there was no interest here. Well, I stand corrected.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »
In my case it wasn't that I lost interest in the stories, I just couldn't run Aurora on my laptop and visiting the site would just frustrate me  :D
Now I've settled down into a new routine and I can run Aurora so please continue  :lol:
Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
In my case it wasn't that I lost interest in the stories, I just couldn't run Aurora on my laptop and visiting the site would just frustrate me  :D
Now I've settled down into a new routine and I can run Aurora so please continue  :D And I will continue posting. I think you all will like what I have. Haegan 2005 has been acting as my beta reader and he seems to like it. He keeps pestering me for new stuff all the time.  :D

Cheers, Þórgrímr