Author Topic: Test 2 Discussion  (Read 52704 times)

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
Re: Test 2 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
Quote from: "Cunak"
Wow!

I sure do appreciate your efforts in providing stories for the rest of us hungry masses.

Please keep up the excellent work.

I am glad to know you are enjoying the story so far. As an indicator as to what is next, the flashback is over and we jump forward nearly eight centuries to the United States of Terra.   8)

Cheers, Thor
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
Got a couple of questions on Chapter 2,

- how long has Earth been in space?
- which stories are for the period of WW3, aftermath and up to Chapter 2?
- will you be rewriting them too?

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Got a couple of questions on Chapter 2,

- how long has Earth been in space?
- which stories are for the period of WW3, aftermath and up to Chapter 2?
- will you be rewriting them too?

Earth has been in space for little over a decade.
The era after the third world war is covered by the Gunny saga. Which goes up to the unification of Earth and the death of the Gunny. I am going to post some of those in the main Thor writing sfor since it does not fit in with the later Terrans and Romans. In fact, the first part will be posted tonight.  :D

Cheers, Thor

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
Quote from: "borgrimr"
Vickers was sitting in one corner nursing a Wild Turkey and listening to Applegate opine. “Sir, I accept as most do that this operation is getting too large to hide anymore. Plus, we’re at the point where we can make a case to the people that we can adequately defend Earth. On the flip side, it’s like that Greek myth, the Sword of Domiciles, hanging over our head.”
It's the 'Sword of Damocles' unless you were trying to portray that knowledge has been lost in your post apocalyptic world. On that note, I'm afraid that I find your post-apocalyptic world not particularly apocalyptic. I think my basic concern is that you have recreated the situation of today (albeit with a United States of Terra and without the Chinese) but advanced the timeline by 500yr or so.  I've only read your re-issue of the first part of the Gunny saga but I cannot see how(or why) a society reduced so far would want to recreate the institutions of the past.  Now if there is a good reason for this in the later parts of the Gunny saga then please let me know and I'll reserve my remarks until I've read the rest.  I think the Roman aspect of the story is great. Just my 2penny worth.
Welchbloke

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
It's the 'Sword of Damocles' unless you were trying to portray that knowledge has been lost in your post apocalyptic world. On that note, I'm afraid that I find your post-apocalyptic world not particularly apocalyptic. I think my basic concern is that you have recreated the situation of today (albeit with a United States of Terra and without the Chinese) but advanced the timeline by 500yr or so.  I've only read your re-issue of the first part of the Gunny saga but I cannot see how(or why) a society reduced so far would want to recreate the institutions of the past.  Now if there is a good reason for this in the later parts of the Gunny saga then please let me know and I'll reserve my remarks until I've read the rest.  I think the Roman aspect of the story is great. Just my 2penny worth.

Well first of all, Vickers was making a joke.  :wink:  

The person who finally united Earth was from the 21st century and he vowed to recreate the world he knew, with certain changes of course, before it blew itself to hell and back. After nearly three centuries of death, destruction, terrors of the night, and no hope the world was looking for someone who would give them peace and remove those terrors of the night. When he did he recreated the world he knew, but with changes. It is not our world recreated per se, hell, New DC is not even in North America, but in Africa.  :wink: Your input is valued, so please even if we do not agree on certain points, continue to provide your insights and keep me on my toes.  :D  All commentary, both for and against is valued by me.

Cheers, Thor

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
Possible typo:

"O’Cearnaigh had recently taken him to task on Discuss the Issues over the subject."

Also a question on the timeline. In the first part of Chapter 2 you have the launch of a Heavy Cruiser and it talks about an interstellar war with fighting on distant worlds. But then 4 days later you have the Nuncio just being told about contact with the first aliens.

Does this mean that the UST has been secretly building warships and sending them off to fight without the general populace knowing? And also sending scientific teams and ground troops to fight too?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
Typo?

"At the moment, he saw multiple pratfalls."

"It was almost as close to declaring war the as government went without calling the Senate into session."

Who are the 'Mortao Alliance'? An interstellar power? Are they hitting the UST interstellar commerce with their raiding?

The reason I am asking is that a little over a decade doesn't seem like long enough to have been able to produce the infrastructure and then the actual ships from scratch to get to a point were commerce raiding on an interstellar level is a problem. Not sure I am explaining myself correctly, gah.

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Possible typo:

"O’Cearnaigh had recently taken him to task on Discuss the Issues over the subject."

Also a question on the timeline. In the first part of Chapter 2 you have the launch of a Heavy Cruiser and it talks about an interstellar war with fighting on distant worlds. But then 4 days later you have the Nuncio just being told about contact with the first aliens.

Does this mean that the UST has been secretly building warships and sending them off to fight without the general populace knowing? And also sending scientific teams and ground troops to fight too?

Discuss the Issues is a TV show like Meet the Press so should be capped.

Yes, they have been sending stuff out covertly.

Good catch, it should be pitfalls.

Yup, another typo. Good catch and thanks.  :wink:

Sure, I understand where you are coming from. And no, Terra does not have any shipping as of now. It is their allies and potential allies that are being raided.  :D

Cheers, Thor

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
Þórgrímr
In your latest "Test of Wills" post British may sit better than English.
Regards
IanD

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
"The Rangers prided themselves on being among the finest soldiers on Earth and now that they had branched into the interstellar universe as well."

I think that you meant to add that they are now the finest soldiers in the galaxy/universe.

BTW, I live in I live in south Orange County, California.  There were two Marine bases here (Tustin and El Toro) and there is still Camp Pendelton not too far away.  I know a number of people who would wish to discuss that issue with you.  <grin>

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 02:21:07 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Þórgrímr
In your latest "Test of Wills" post British may sit better than English.
Regards

It would be, but the United Kingdom does not exist anymore. When the British Isles were added to the UST Wales, Scotland, and Ireland voted in plebiscites to form their own states. So England is a state by itself.  :wink:  And my being a Marine I was tempted to list Force Recon and Recon units as the best. But I had to keep the POV correct.  :D

IIRC, El Toro was closed down in the base realignments and the squadrons transferred to Miramar. You sure El Toro is still open?  :?

Cheers, Thor

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Your universe have star gates on planetary surfaces too?

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
Quote from: "Þórgrímr"
IIRC, El Toro was closed down in the base realignments and the squadrons transferred to Miramar. You sure El Toro is still open?  :?

Both Tustin and El Toro were shut down but their former presence and the continued existence of Camp Pendelton down south has lead to a pretty high population of retired Marines around here.  It might also have something to do with the type of people I hang out with.

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Your universe have star gates on planetary surfaces too?

No, just the jump gates in space. You need a form of space/planet interface to travel from one to the other.

When I got back from the Rock in 82 El Toro was my duty station of choice. But in their infinite 'wisdom' they sent me to Cherry Point.  :shock:

Cheers, Thor

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
typos:

but enjoyed the his time at the JGC

The look of concern on his face was evident. “JGC, this Echo Echo Three Zero, are you receiving?”

winsauce:

A naval officer answered. “Intelligence desk, Lieutenant Commander Jack Ryan.”

:)