Author Topic: Comments  (Read 15244 times)

Offline symon (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Comments
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:55:57 AM »
A thread for general comments.
I've thought of a few myself.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline symon (OP)

Re: Comments
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »
FAQ 1: Why the Organism troops don't use energy weapons.

Although ray guns have been a popular trope for alien armies for more decades than I've lived, they do have serious issues. The really big one is that annoying atmosphere. Lasers and other energy weapons just don't work well with them. Aurora shows this with the protection an atmosphere grants a planet against 'death from above'. There are ways round this mind. Careful choice of laser frequencies or the right kind of particle beam can result in a ray gun that works well (theoretically) in an atmosphere.

But there is a problem that is often glossed over. Space going 'marines' need to be able to fight in any atmosphere. From hard vacuum, through the merest trace, to super dense ones. Worse, the composition can be very variable. It's bad enough crafting a laser that will work in our own atmosphere, let alone one that's a bit denser but has a few more percent CO2 in it! Now remember you need to fight anywhere!

Neutral particle beams are viable in a vacuum, but awful in an atmosphere. Charged particle can work in an atmosphere, but are tricky in a vacuum. Even 'rainbow' lasers, which Aurora doesn't seem to have at present are tricky in an atmosphere.

So I decided (long ago) against ray guns, unless you can 'force jacket' them. Yes, force jacketing is a handwave, but it does do the job and has at least a veneer of plausibility.

The Organism were always going to use bullets. A high velocity chunk of metal has always been a good way to harm your opponent, and they nearly always work. Depending on the technology level, you can have conventional, caseless, ETC, binary propellant, gauss or, as the implied technology supports it, grav. Aren't those grav rifles nasty eh? (grin)
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Offline roccod

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Just a cry out for more. I really enjoy your story.

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »
Two things are holding me up. The need to get Organism names into the database and the fact that I need a new Monitor. The only one I had that could cope with a high enough resolution blew up last Sunday. All the spare I have can't quite handle Aurora!

However, I have a little more background. (Sigh) I'm keen to actually start though.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
I have to ask, does the absorption of the human race mean that the Terran Federation in the background story ceases to exist in the future and thus did the stargate transport the Organism through time as well as space?

Regards
IanD

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »
Hi, the Federation in question is the Federation of Tamos, not the Terran Federation. They are from my Starfire Campaign. Think Blake's Seven. There was even a Servalan!

So no time travel, and the Federation are still out there somewhere, fighting the main 'main' Organism and the Naerans and the Medusans.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • J
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Those wars are still ongoing after, what 1500 years?  What level is their tech at now?  :)

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
Shudder to think (grin).
Actually, I haven't thought that far ahead. Just wanted a means of getting the Organism out from SF and into Aurora!

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
I again have a monitor that can handle Aurora. Now I just need to get the Organism names into the database and I'm good to go.

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »
Just an update. I haven't forgotten this, but RL has me under the cosh, and I still need to get Organism names in the database. It also took far longer to get a replacement monitor that really handles Aurora's resolution well. Actually Steve's new resolutions support has helped me greatly.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
Just an update. I haven't forgotten this, but RL has me under the cosh, and I still need to get Organism names in the database. It also took far longer to get a replacement monitor that really handles Aurora's resolution well. Actually Steve's new resolutions support has helped me greatly.
I hope you are doing well.

I really enjoyed your SF stories and have been looking forward to more for a while.  <grin>

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
With luck things might soon start moving. I wasn't able to find suitable names for anyone or anything so had to think some up. A lot of names. A few days ago I sent them off to Steve with a request he import them as an 'organic' theme. Then I can start!

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
You should have asked for help with the names.

As a GM, I am famous for my naming style and inventiveness.

Typical:

PLAYER1: So, what's his name?
ME: ...um... ...Fred.
PLAYER2:  You know that the last two guys were named Fred too don't you?
ME:  Don't worry, next week NPCs will be named George.

Offline symon (OP)

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »
Well, I'll have stuff like:-
Nempusa Y-Oenone
Omormo Y-Sandry
Yacybele Y-Cerysl
Quariadne Y-Pandorys
Massyopea Y-Tuamut

and variations thereon. (I hope - grin)