Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
Discussion
« on: September 15, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »
In this thread discuss anything pertaining to the Imperium Romanum, whether it is historical or fiction.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:33:35 AM by Þórgrímr »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline wildfire142

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
Will you be posting designs to go with the ship class names?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by wildfire142 »

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »
Quote from: "wildfire142"
Will you be posting designs to go with the ship class names?

Here is the thread where I first attempted to convert the ships to Aurora.

Ships of the Imperium Romanum

When Aurora is stable enough I am going to attempt a campaign and flesh out the missing portions of Rome in Space, namely the beginning stages. Originally in the Starfire Campaign I did not begin to take notes and try to keep track. So the early portion of the Republic is lost to a hdd crash, along with the SA campaign.

So Aurora will give me the detail I need to do a good beginning of the Roman Republic's sojourn into space. I think after it gets a certain size I may have to convert the campaign back to SA since there is NO way a player using Aurora could handle an empire over a few star systems.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Þórgrímr »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Quote from: "??rgr?mr"
So Aurora will give me the detail I need to do a good beginning of the Roman Republic's sojourn into space. I think after it gets a certain size I may have to convert the campaign back to SA since there is NO way a player using Aurora could handle an empire over a few star systems.

In my current campaign several Empires have over fifty systems each and there are nine Empires. It is very easy to play. The difference between SA and Aurora though is that Aurora is far less densely populated. Most of the Empires with 50+ systems have less than a dozen colonies and fewer than 100 ships. With Aurora I am working on smaller fleet sizes and fewer pops and trying to make individual planets, systems and ships more interesting. I found with the Rigellian campaign that enjoyment-wise there isn't much difference between a game with 100 systems and 500 ships and a game with 1000 systems and 5000 ships, but there is a lot of difference work-wise :)

Unfortunately I going to start a new campaign because some changes detailed in another mail mean I really need to start from scratch to test things properly. However, I was really enjoying this campaign as all the races had very distinct personalities.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:32:13 PM »
Lol, for me, once I get past 20 star systems my head starts to swim form the RT chaos. Too much is going on for me to follow. That and I do not use the event box, so I miss a lot of stuff. I REALLY miss the you've got mail ability of SA.  :D

Cheers,

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:52:26 PM »
Quote from: "??rgr?mr"
Lol, for me, once I get past 20 star systems my head starts to swim form the RT chaos. Too much is going on for me to follow. That and I do not use the event box, so I miss a lot of stuff. I REALLY miss the you've got mail ability of SA.  :D

Ah, I think that explains why we have a different view. I don't use the real time option because too much happens too fast and I have considered removing it. I use the system map increment buttons and just click the increments one at a time (effectively turn-based). If I want to advance by a day I just click the 1 Day button. The game advances by one day and then pauses, giving me time to check events etc. If nothing has happened, I click 1 day again and then check what happened in the next increment. When a lot of things are happening at once I will use shorter increments, right down to 5 seconds during combat. Apart from the very early versions of the game, I have never used the Time Control window or the real-time option.

You really need to use the Events window though. That is the heart of the game. As events happen, you can click on them and Aurora will centre on the location of the event.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »
Steve, I never even considered using the time increment button. From the way you describe the way you use it, it could REALLY take out a lot of problems I have with following everything that happens.  :D

I for one would heartily cheer a return to TB play.  :wink:

Cheers,