Author Topic: long-range conquest  (Read 6472 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: long-range conquest
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 12:52:04 AM »
Have you scouted the system yet?
I'm curious to see what kind of design you would come up with to gather intelligence on them before sending the main fleet.
What tech level are those engines btw?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:50 AM »
So, the closer system (Dragoon) is about 700B kilometers from the jump point, and the more distant one (Deercreek) is about 1.2T kilometers from its jump point.  I discovered both about the same time.  Both had perfectly-habitable worlds.  I know Deercreek has an NPR because they have a civilian mining colony around the "A" star, and I made contact.  As for Dragoon, I didn't know, but I have the NPR generation chance cranked up pretty high so I was hopeful.

To scout the systems, I created modified versions of my standard geo survey ship.  Typically my survey ship is a 40HS, 0.3 power civilian engine with a civilian jump engine, grav survey module, and a fuel tank strapped on.  The efficiency of the engine gets them great range already, but not quite enough for this job.  I dropped the jump engine and added fuel tanks and extra deployment time. 

The geo survey ship arrived at Dragoon-B and confirmed that there was an NPR there; the journey took about 5 years.  It has a small active scanner so I was able to determine their navy is pretty limited: three or four 8000T ships, two orbital defense bases of some kind, four FACs, and 50,000T of shipyards.  I made contact, assigned diplomats, and sent the scout ship to a remote planet.  He can fly back to the alien homeworld after relations improve, if I need a new scan. 

The survey vessel headed for Deercreek-B is still en route.  When it gets there, it will have flown about 10 years from the jump point.  I am already on friendly terms with the Deercreek aliens, but I have no idea how big their military will be.

The tug's engines are inertial fusion tech, which I just achieved.  Talbot and Saunders have been my main P+P researchers for the past four generations of engine tech breakthroughs, and both are old and sick, so I figured this engine would be their last big achievement and I named it after them.  They're 50HS and 0.3 power, very fuel efficient.  The fighters and missiles I showed earlier are magnetic fusion; new designs are on the way.

Currently my biggest military shipyards are 18000T and are in the middle of "add slipway" jobs, so I'll have to wait a couple years before I can even start expanding their tonnage.  My goal is to have 30000T war pods for those tugboats to haul into place.  Four "base stars" (carriers) and one "battlestar" (flag bridge, AMMs, and sensors) pulled by five tugs, and a bunch of long-range troopships, per invasion fleet.  I know, I'll never be able to haul away the minerals or installations I capture, but what I want most is the economic and research production.  And the glory.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:34 AM »
I should add that I have stolen all 4 generations of engine tech since I started the game at Ion level.  I've been battling spoilers non-stop and have disassembled a few nice prize ships.  Being in the last stage of the fusion era less than 30 years into the game, I think these NPRs are most likely a few tech levels beneath me.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Be sure to use the "Continual expansion" to increase your shipyards as that is a lot faster. Mine took about 3-4 years to go from 10,000t cap to 30,000tons (second shipyard cost/time tech), but that was with only 1 slip. Also, I think you need to bring along a commercial "base" with you to house some human population as well as other things a population might need.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
My designs have been updated a bit.  I decided that my tugs will carry 10,000 human colonists each, so I can seed the conquered worlds with 50,000 people, and bring 50,000 aliens back to sell as circus attractions or whatever.  That required a few more engines and a bit more fuel each.

Code: [Select]
Titan class Fleet Tug    101,450 tons     480 Crew     5333.5 BP      TCS 2029  TH 7200  EM 0
7097 km/s     Armour 1-193     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 33    Max Repair 108 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 5   
Cryogenic Berths 10000    Tractor Beam     

Talbot-Saunders 480 EP Cool Fusion Lightyear Drive (30)    Power 480    Fuel Use 0.99%    Signature 240    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 22,000,000 Litres    Range 3942.8 billion km   (6430 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

My top speed will be a little higher now, about 5500 km/s if I recall correctly.  Each invasion fleet will carry two divisions of ground troops, in ten of these:

Code: [Select]
Argo class Troop Transport    51,500 tons     250 Crew     2282 BP      TCS 1030  TH 2880  EM 0
5592 km/s     Armour 1-123     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 28    Max Repair 108 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 3   
Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5   

Talbot-Saunders 480 EP Cool Fusion Lightyear Drive (12)    Power 480    Fuel Use 0.99%    Signature 240    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 8,000,000 Litres    Range 2824.2 billion km   (5845 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
Good luck. Keep us posted!