Author Topic: Simultaneous Transit Frequency  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Zume (OP)

• Lieutenant
    • http://members.cox.net/desslok/starfire-index.shtml
Simultaneous Transit Frequency
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
What factors are involved that will allow a race to perform frequent simultaneous transit attacks? I imagine the racial militancy and determination have to be pretty high, for starters.

Zume
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Zume »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »
In Starfire, simultaneous transit is often the cheapest method of attack against a strong defence so my own view is that races would use it quite often. Would you rather be in an ST with a 70% chance of survival (before the fighting starts) or in the first wave or two of a standard attack where survival is highly unlikely. The problem is knowing what type of defence you are up against or ST can be very wasteful. In Starfire game terms I don't think there has ever been an actual rule regarding how you decide if a race can use ST so I usually roleplay it. I think Kurt has looked into this in his campaign so he is probably the best person to answer.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Edsel

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
page 15 of 3rd Edition Revised, Rule 03.06.02.2 states in part:

"In campaign games, each empire may make one roll VS RM to transit a specific warp point once every 6 months. If the roll is successful, then the simultaneous transit must occur within the next 3 days."

It goes on to state that in referred games a player-race may plead their case for a simultaneous transit to the Space Master, but that the Space Master should be very hard to convince.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Edsel »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
Quote from: "Edsel"
page 15 of 3rd Edition Revised, Rule 03.06.02.2 states in part:

"In campaign games, each empire may make one roll VS RM to transit a specific warp point once every 6 months. If the roll is successful, then the simultaneous transit must occur within the next 3 days."

It goes on to state that in referred games a player-race may plead their case for a simultaneous transit to the Space Master, but that the Space Master should be very hard to convince.

The above is correct.  This was the subject of an extended debate on the Starfire list, which I am sad to say I wasted quite a bit of my life on.  I had raised the subject of simul-transits (ST).  I basically felt that in spite of the way the rules portrayed them, they were likely a less bloody way to assault a warp point, and therefore any sane and reasonable race would use them as a matter of course if they knew the other side had heavily fortified the far side of the warp point.  

Some of you here may remember this weeks long debate.  A particular individual on the list, who shall remain nameless, took the opposing side, and off we went.  The debate lasted for weeks and descended into idiocy, IMO.   The enitre subject ended up being one of the off-limits subjects for the list, along with the economic viability of O1 planets and several other subjects, not because of the potential for a flame-war, but because the stupidity that ensued was painful.  

At any rate, ST's, in my opinion as someone that has used quite a few, can be a useful tactic.  My own personal opinion is that any sane race would have to roll against RM, or possibly against RD, to determine if they would make a NORMAL assault against a heavily defended warp point, much less an ST attack, but that's just me.  

Of course, there are some shifty defenses against an ST, especially if you have space (systems) to give up to the enemy in exchange for bleeding them dry, so an ST is definitely not THE tactic for all situations.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »