Author Topic: Set survey ship to fly against the current (clockwise)  (Read 946 times)

Offline Rogue Yun (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
Set survey ship to fly against the current (clockwise)
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
New to the game, bear with me.

Just made my first survey ship.  I made it the weakest slowest thing out there just for the sake of it, gave it orders to survey the nearest bodies, started focusing on other things, and now I have a survey ship just chasing Mercury endlessly.  Is there a way to tell my ship to stop "chasing" targets but to instead fly against the flow?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Set survey ship to fly against the current (clockwise)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
you can use the Add WP button to create arbitrary waypoints that you can navigate to.

A ship that's slower than orbital velocity is essentially useless though, since aurora uses an absolute reference frame for speed and not relative.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:26:10 PM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »
The first engine tech, chemical engines, are only barely good to go to the Moon and return I would say...

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
Don't use it for Mercury, Venus or comets.

And I always make my geosurvey ships commercial, with size 50 engines (partly because I intend to retool and refit to better engines), because that gives them about 65-70 km/s, which is plenty to catch any body.

Fortunately, if you DO catch a body, you will be able to keep up with it and orbit with it as you survey.  Waiting ahead of it until the 5 day movement processes, and then dashing up to it works too.

The following users thanked this post: Rogue Yun