Author Topic: System Requirements  (Read 14451 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
System Requirements
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:22:27 AM »
Aurora needs a display resolution of 1280x1024, although you can probably get away with 1280x960.

It should work for all versions of Windows. Some people have reported a few issues with Vista but I think all of them have been resolved after discussions in the forum. I am running it on XP64.

The install requires less than 100Mb of disk space. The database file may grow over time, although there is a compact option on the main menu to reduce the database size if it becomes a problem.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline wargame_insomniac

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • w
Re: System Requirements
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Aurora needs a display resolution of 1280x1024, although you can probably get away with 1280x960.
Steve

Is there anything you can do in future upgrades to reduce the minimum screen resolution?

My laptop can only cope with 1024x768. So I will be unable to play Aurora until I buy a new PC.

Thanks

James
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by wargame_insomniac »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:31 AM »
The problem is there is so much information to display, its very difficult to squeeze it into 1024x768. I have tried a few different ways to allow players with lower resolution to see all the screens but without much success so far. Is there anyway for you to use software that creates a virtual desktop (or scrolling desktop) larger than your standard resolution?

Here is a example site that has a scrolling desktop, although I found it from a quick google search so I have never used it.

http://www.nearestexit.com/sdesk/

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
Steve,

Any chance of creating the windows with scrollbars?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ShadoCat »

Offline wargame_insomniac

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Steve,

That would be good idea.

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by wargame_insomniac »

Offline Nahuris

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Any other specific requirements?

I have several computers, some of which are older ---- even have one still running Win98 at at 300 mhz.

Thanks,

Nahuris

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:54:31 AM »
Quote from: "Nahuris"
Any other specific requirements?

I have several computers, some of which are older ---- even have one still running Win98 at at 300 mhz.
It should run on that machine if you have the necessary resolution on the graphics card. It will just run a little slower, which should only be noticeable for very large games anyway. It's the sensor updates that take the time during normal increments and obviously the 5-day increments take much longer than the regular increments. Apart from the speed of increment updates though it will be fine.

Steve

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
Re:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "wargame_insomniac"
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Steve,

That would be good idea.

Cheers

James
Hi,
i just joined the forum thanks to a friend of mine that on another forum gave me the link! Coming back to the point, i also have a laptop that has a maximun resolution of 1024x768....
Did you implemented successfully the scrollbars? Does it is possible now to play the game with my laptop resolution?
Thanks!
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
Quote from: "zirman"
i just joined the forum thanks to a friend of mine that on another forum gave me the link! Coming back to the point, i also have a laptop that has a maximun resolution of 1024x768....
Did you implemented successfully the scrollbars? Does it is possible now to play the game with my laptop resolution?
I did add scrollbars to the Fleet window but there are several other large windows without scrollbars so the minimum resolution is still 1280x1024. I believe some players have successfully managed to play Aurora on a laptop using some kind of floating desktop but unfortunately I don't know the details. You could probably google for how to do that, or if someone is reading this who knows more, please reply to this thread.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I did add scrollbars to the Fleet window but there are several other large windows without scrollbars so the minimum resolution is still 1280x1024. I believe some players have successfully managed to play Aurora on a laptop using some kind of floating desktop but unfortunately I don't know the details. You could probably google for how to do that, or if someone is reading this who knows more, please reply to this thread.

Steve
I can't help with the floating desktop; however, I play Aurora on a lower res laptop by using a bit of software called ResizeEnable.  It allows you to resize the windows including moving buttons etc so that they are visible.  It takes a bit of practice to get the right size for each window as sometimes the buttons or scroll bars are moved into odd arrangements, but I find it very workable.  All you have to do once the software is installed is drag a window edge and move it.  The whole thing is very intuitive.
Welchbloke

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
Floating desktop works with XP only, if I remember correctely (don´t have any vista or win7 experience)

Go to the screen where you set your resolution
select enhanced or extended settings (I have a german windows, so I don´t know the exact wording, but it is the lower right most button )
select Monitor
there is a checkbox which reads "Modi ausblenden, die von diesem Monitor nicht angezeigt werden" Something like: don´t show modes this monitor does not support.
Uncheck this box
You can now set resolution to anything your graphics card can handle. If this resolution is higher than what your monitor can display, whenever your mouse pointer reaches the edge of your screen, the whole screen will scroll in that direction.

Hope this helps.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Whiskey144

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »
hey guys, I found this neat freeware utility for Windows called 360 Desktop (site here- http://360desktop.com). It is a scrolling desktop utility.

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
Hi Steve,

does Aurora will work on an Mac computer?
I just bought a new Mac and i would like to continue to try to play this addictive game! and so i was interested if it will be working also on Mac! ;)

ty
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
Hi Steve,

does Aurora will work on an Mac computer?
I just bought a new Mac and i would like to continue to try to play this addictive game! and so i was interested if it will be working also on Mac! ;)
There is only a PC version so I don't think it would run on a MAC unless you used some type of PC emulator software.

Steve

Offline Ed Smoker

• Leading Rate
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »
I am getting an error trying to install Aurora on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I get the following error message:

Code: [Select]
C:\Windows\SETUP.LST

Invalid line in setup information file!

Section: Setup1 Files
@p2sodbc.dll,$(WinSysPath),,$(Shared),11/18/96 10:15:52 PM,131072,4.6.1.106

Installation stops at that point and the temporary installation files are removed. Anyone have any idea what is going on?