Author Topic: Performance Optimization.  (Read 2495 times)

Offline 11sparky11 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • ?
Performance Optimization.
« on: March 21, 2014, 04:49:18 AM »
Is there anything that can be done to speed up the processing of the game? Everything from opening menus and giving commands just seems to take annoyingly long, like 5 seconds just to open up the overview screen,  and a 30 day increment just took 23 seconds.   It doesn't sound very long, but when nothing is going on and I just want to get through some years it takes a while.   This is at the start of the game, no combat is going on from the NPR's.   I don't mind the turn time so much but it's just the command lag is hard to deal with.   Is there anything that can be done apart from getting a beefier cpu?  

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Performance Optimization.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »
Not really.  Even getting a "beefier" processor will have little to no impact.  The processing time is a limitation of VB6 and Access, they just don't use cpu cycles and memory very well. 

It's just the nature of the beast and can't be changed until the code transported too language that supports system untilization.  Steve has plans to migrate but has stated that it's on the backburnner for now.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Nope.   Ive put the entire game folder into a RAMDrive and it made no difference.

Offline 11sparky11 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • ?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »
It's just that the guy i'm watching to learn the game, his 30 day increments go past in a few seconds.  Is there anything in the options when creating the game that can be changed to improve performance?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
Always sart your empire with about 300-500 million people. The game will not scale well with higher population since that spawn too many civilian vessels.

In my experience it is the number of ships and civilians especially that hog all the CPU power. By starting small you will avoid much of this problem.

In the next version Steve seem to optimize the civilian fleet a little more since they will build larger ships and be better at scrapping older ships so this should increase the performance quite a bit.

One thing that I experienced as a performance enhancer (about 10-15%) was to remove the hyper-threading on my CPU. So if you have that enabled then disable it in your BIOS. Hyper-threading is not of much use anyway on multi-core processors unless you run applications that can take advantage of it.