Author Topic: NPR question  (Read 1484 times)

Offline hiphop38 (OP)

• Space Nazi
  • Leading Rate
  • h
NPR question
« on: April 28, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »
I wondering, how long does it usually take for first contact?

My game is a good, 60 or 70 years in, and I have been exploring hard to find other aliens to "play with" (blow up) but I have had no luck so far.  (Besides 3 precursor ships that rammed my poor ships) I have a fleet of exploration ships trying to fully explore systems at least four jumps from sol in every direction.  I am not yet done with this project but I am just curious how long it takes most people to find aliens. 

Offline Cheet4h

• Petty Officer
  • C
Re: NPR question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »
Not sure how long it normally takes, but in one of my last games, I made contact with two different races within 4 jumps of Sol. I'm pretty sure they're both NPRs, since boths used jump points and I could establish communication with them.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
I wondering, how long does it usually take for first contact?

My game is a good, 60 or 70 years in, and I have been exploring hard to find other aliens to "play with" (blow up) but I have had no luck so far.  (Besides 3 precursor ships that rammed my poor ships) I have a fleet of exploration ships trying to fully explore systems at least four jumps from sol in every direction.  I am not yet done with this project but I am just curious how long it takes most people to find aliens. 

i usually take 50 years to get more than 2-3 jumps away from sol.
In my current game I didn't run into aliens until I was 5 jumps away.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
i usually take 50 years to get more than 2-3 jumps away from sol.
In my current game I didn't run into aliens until I was 5 jumps away.

Maybe that's my problem with getting blown to bits so easily? I'm 4-5 jumps from Sol about 10-15 years in on most games.  Usually I have encountered at least one of the auto-generation races at that distance.  Generally I would consider not finding alien neighbors any closer than 4 jumps to be a good thing.  It gives you room to grow and expand beyond the early years mineral and financial crises that usually crop up.

I speculate:
One aspect that will have an effect on finding aliens is your starting system.  The system generation algorithm seems to group like-age systems.  If you start on Sol with real stars you tend to get younger systems with smaller stars and less habitable real estate.  If you do a custom start on an older and larger star you might have multiple low colony cost bodies in one system.  A lot of your neighboring systems will trend that way as well.  Since alien civilizations auto-generate on discovery of systems with the appropriate habitable body it stands to reason you would find a lot more aliens in bigger and older star systems.  (I think this is logical as in our universe older systems would have had more time to develop intelligent life or be colonized by intelligent life)