Author Topic: Questions not worth their own thread  (Read 39635 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Questions not worth their own thread
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
Can my Missile FCS aquire a target via passive sensors?
No, you need active sensors to see the target for that. The active sensors can be on another ship or on a PDC and those can be in a different TG or even a different TF.

Your MFC can, however, fire missiles at a waypoint (and therefore a colony)1 without sensors.  If your missiles have sensors of their own, they will search for a target when they get to the waypoint.

- - - - -

1  To target the colony, you need to set the waypoint to move with the planet / moon / asteroid.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 01:44:19 AM »
Can I tug a wreck to a space station orbiting my planet that is equipped with a Salvage Module for salvaging?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »
In VB 6 Aurora you can't move wrecks in any way.  In C# Aurora, it is currently under debate (but seems like you will be able to tow wrecks around).

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 04:23:35 PM »
If I want to build a Prefab PDC that requires 37 components, do I queue up 37 Prefab PDC of the type, or just one?

In other words, does the Prefab PDC function create 37 components per PDC I queue up, or 1 Prefab Component of the PDC I queue up per item?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
IIRC, an entire PDC is produced per order, so that would be 37 components in total.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:09:44 AM »
TIL:

Having one ship in a fleet with damaged/destroyed engines will degrade the rest of the fleets ability to maneuver and degrade the performance of hull mounted final fire point defense. 

(Thought this was a decent place to put something like this)
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
Whoa, are you absolutely sure of that? Damn, if it is true, then hopefully Steve can fix it for C#!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:15 PM »
Fix it?  Fix what?

Ships with damaged/destroyed engines lose speed.  This is not a bug.  Squadrons move at the speed of their slowest ship.  This is not a bug.  Beam weapon accuracy can be -- depending on design -- limited by the mounting unit's max speed.  This is not a bug.

If a ship that mounts basically fixed guns loses maneuverability, it has a harder time aiming.  This is both logical and desired behaviour.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
For overall movement speed yes of course but for determining whether a weapon hits or not, then I'd argue that it is not the intended goal, as the ships that have, on purpose, slowed down, can move easily enough to dodge/avoid incoming fire. There is, after all, no acceleration/deceleration in Aurora.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
For overall movement speed yes of course but for determining whether a weapon hits or not, then I'd argue that it is not the intended goal, as the ships that have, on purpose, slowed down, can move easily enough to dodge/avoid incoming fire. There is, after all, no acceleration/deceleration in Aurora.
There is, however, such a thing as the ability to predict where the enemy is going to be at a given moment of time, and in Aurora, the difficulty of making that prediction accurately corresponds with the target TG's maximum speed. Higher speed targets are harder to predict.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 05:40:37 AM »
Fix it?  Fix what?

As long as FF PD can protect other task groups that are in the same position, then I have no problem with the behaviour at all.  One of my scout ships got hit by a leaker, and fell out of formation.  I brought the task group back to protect it and added it back into that task group.  My PD accuracy was then halved for the next salvo.  Needless to say, a lot more damage was done.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »
Well, it'll make Area Fire more important now that I'm aware of the issue. I used to always re-attach damaged ships to ensure that they get Final Fire defence unless I was actively trying to outrun the enemy.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 06:36:36 PM »
In VB6 Aurora v7.10, can I achieve Missile Lock without an Active Sensor if I have:

- [At least] One Missile Fire Control

- A waypoint to target

- A Passive Sensor on the missile being fired at said waypoint

... and obviously something at that waypoint to shoot AT.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
In VB6 Aurora v7.10, can I achieve Missile Lock without an Active Sensor if I have:

- [At least] One Missile Fire Control

- A waypoint to target

- A Passive Sensor on the missile being fired at said waypoint

... and obviously something at that waypoint to shoot AT.

Yup.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2019, 11:33:29 PM »
Does the damage from a kinetic (no warhead) missile impact increase with size?