Author Topic: Keeping Distance?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Girlinhat (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • G
Keeping Distance?
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »
So I tried to launch some missiles at an NPR colony that had snuck into Sol (I'm not the most proactive defender, it seems) but I could not for the life of me figure out how to pace my missile ships at a distance.   Since it was an unarmed colony, I played around trying to give it different variations of movement, but nothing seemed to get my ships to sit at a particular range.   Specifically, I want my ships to get to 40m km and stop, but all orders sent them to 0 and sat there.   I tried time increments, didn't change anything.

Am I missing something?

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
Re: Keeping Distance?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »
Iirc you can set up a follow order and then punch in a distance that your ship should keep.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »
Important point with the follow order when used against enemy ships.  Your ships will move to the designated range, if you have initiative then everything is fine, if they have the initiative then their ships will move and change the range before weapons are fired.  This can be very important as the distance moved is based on the full time increment used.  If they are moveing at 5000km/s and you hit the 1 minute button and actually get 1 minute then they might have moved 300,000km.  This would probably put them either out of beam range, or potentially at point blank range when you didn't want them there.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
Stick a waypoint where you want your ships to stop, and then set a 'Move to Waypoint #1' order.

Offline Girlinhat (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
The problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to space a waypoint perfectly.  Maybe I'm a bit OCD on that point, but my ships have 40k km missile range, and I'd like them to sit at 40k range so that they can get some max range shots at incoming enemy ships.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
40k??  wut?
You mean 40m?
Otherwise you might as well ram the colony.

Offline Girlinhat (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
Yeah I keep getting my k's and m's mixed up.  40mil km distance on my current missiles.  I'm sadly adjusted to softer games, where measurements are arbitrary, like laser will have a range of "3-7" or something.  I'm not used to actual enormous space numbers.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
At least for enemy colonies can't you use the extended orbit command and set the orbit distance to whatever distance you are needing?