Author Topic: Orbital Bombardment for Fun and Profit  (Read 6098 times)

Offline SevenOfCarina (OP)

• Lieutenant
Orbital Bombardment for Fun and Profit
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
So .... it turns out that with a bit of creativity, lasers can be re-purposed to further terraformation efforts. Since beam weapons produce dust when they strike a planetary target, and dust lowers a planet's temperature, there's no conceivable reason why orbital bombardment cannot be used to cool down hot, airless worlds like Mercury. It's intriguing, from a role-play perspective. Is this an exploit?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Orbital Bombardment for Fun and Profit
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
But the dust eventually settles, reheating the planet.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
Point taken. But there's no reason why a populated world can't be bombarded every now and then.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
Point taken. But there's no reason why a populated world can't be bombarded every now and then.

I guess we know what kind of civilization you're playing.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »

I guess we know what kind of civilization you're playing.

Similar to the Elon Musk approach to terraforming :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

That's what mass drivers are for. Silly noob ;)

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 05:34:22 AM »
While not a good long term solution, they could perhaps be used for short term gains. Bombard a body to kick up dust and drop the temperature, this then you should be able to get a higher population count per infrastructure. This gives you time before the dust settles to get going with the terraforming to bring things inline on a permenant basis.

Obviously when doing this, you set up two colonies on a body. One being the actual colony to be used and another is simply a "target" site somewhere on the other side of the body to let the dust drift accross and thus not blasting the population out of existence.

For most cases I can't see this being a viable solution with low cost bodies. But for your venusian world types this may be of some use.

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
Obviously when doing this, you set up two colonies on a body. One being the actual colony to be used and another is simply a "target" site somewhere on the other side of the body to let the dust drift across and thus not blasting the population out of existence.

Does this actually work? Can you bombard one colony on a planet while leaving the other untouched?

If so, do dust and radiation carry over?

How about mass drivers?

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
Obviously when doing this, you set up two colonies on a body. One being the actual colony to be used and another is simply a "target" site somewhere on the other side of the body to let the dust drift across and thus not blasting the population out of existence.

Does this actually work? Can you bombard one colony on a planet while leaving the other untouched?

If so, do dust and radiation carry over?

How about mass drivers?

It works to an extent with some fudging, first up I can't find out how you were able to use a laser to target one of your own colonies? I can't even see my own colonies in the combat screen. As such I had to do a quick test with a work around.

1. Design a new race with identical properties to your main race (thus costin zero RP).
2. Using the new race in the F9 screen add a colony to your chosen body that for example already has a colony of your main race.
3. An unfortunate step but easily handwaved with some RP (radioactive waste etc), you need to have some form of installations or such on this new colony as it needs to have a thermal or EM signature for detection.
4. Give this new colony independance so they effectivley become a player controlled new empire
5. Have a TG detect this "new" race then target the colony on the combat screen (ensuring "show hostile only" is unchecked).
6. FIRE!

Doing the above causes an orbital bombardment as per normal, in my test run i used a heavy cruiser with a vollet of laser fire to inflict 208 points of damage to the colony. I had only SM'd in a single factory to test as a thermal signature so obviously this was totally destroyed. This also resulted in a dust/radiation level of 208 being produced and a temperature change of -2 degrees, the dust/radiation effect was felt across the entire planet. So when I switch back to my main empire I find my main race colony on this planet now are suffering from a dust/radiation level of 208 and a temperature change of -2 degrees also.

The same could be achieved easier with mass drivers I would think as you could skip the first four steps. Just setup a colony as per steps 1 & 2 but ensure a frieghter is present to unload/load a single mass driver to the colony and allow you to throw spare minerals at it.

If you were able to target one of your own colonies with a beam weapon as per your OP then this entire process becomes simplified, and I would definitley like to know how you did that as it could be used for short term aid with terraforming and as a good RP tool.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
Can you target waypoints at a system body for orbital bombardment?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 12:31:50 PM »

For missiles, sure.  For beam weapons. . . I don't think so.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »

For missiles, sure.  For beam weapons. . . I don't think so.

You could launch missiles at a waypoint coincident with the body your colony inhabits, but unless there's a hostile signature I think they'd just run out of fuel rather than explode.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »

It works to an extent with some fudging, first up I can't find out how you were able to use a laser to target one of your own colonies? I can't even see my own colonies in the combat screen. As such I had to do a quick test with a work around.

1. Design a new race with identical properties to your main race (thus costin zero RP).
2. Using the new race in the F9 screen add a colony to your chosen body that for example already has a colony of your main race.
3. An unfortunate step but easily handwaved with some RP (radioactive waste etc), you need to have some form of installations or such on this new colony as it needs to have a thermal or EM signature for detection.
4. Give this new colony Independence so they effectively become a player controlled new empire
5. Have a TG detect this "new" race then target the colony on the combat screen (ensuring "show hostile only" is unchecked).
6. FIRE!

Doing the above causes an orbital bombardment as per normal, in my test run i used a heavy cruiser with a vollet of laser fire to inflict 208 points of damage to the colony. I had only SM'd in a single factory to test as a thermal signature so obviously this was totally destroyed. This also resulted in a dust/radiation level of 208 being produced and a temperature change of -2 degrees, the dust/radiation effect was felt across the entire planet. So when I switch back to my main empire I find my main race colony on this planet now are suffering from a dust/radiation level of 208 and a temperature change of -2 degrees also.

The same could be achieved easier with mass drivers I would think as you could skip the first four steps. Just setup a colony as per steps 1 & 2 but ensure a freighter is present to unload/load a single mass driver to the colony and allow you to throw spare minerals at it.

If you were able to target one of your own colonies with a beam weapon as per your OP then this entire process becomes simplified, and I would definitely like to know how you did that as it could be used for short term aid with terraforming and as a good RP tool.

You're correct - Aurora doesn't allow you to target your own colonies. I used a workaround that was similar to what you've done, though what I did was to use SM mode to create an extra player-controlled Empire on Earth. I SM'ed in a massively armoured PDC on Mercury that I named 'Planetary Crust', transferred the PDC over to the NPR, and then deleted the NPR's Earth colony. It's not exactly without its headaches.

Also, Aurora doesn't allow you to remove the last mass driver on a colony when mineral packets are inbound to avoid accidentally wrecking your own populations.

While not a good long term solution, they could perhaps be used for short term gains. Bombard a body to kick up dust and drop the temperature, this then you should be able to get a higher population count per infrastructure. This gives you time before the dust settles to get going with the terraforming to bring things inline on a permenant basis.

For most cases I can't see this being a viable solution with low cost bodies. But for your venusian world types this may be of some use.

Actually, it's a fairly viable long-term solution. Dust only settles at the rate of 250 per year, so that's at least ten years before the temperature gets high enough to become uncomfortable. Even the most basic Ion-era warship can easily sustain this. It's ideal for airless worlds like Mercury, since beam weapons rapidly lose effectiveness in atmosphere.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:13:19 PM by CatastrophicReEntry »

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
Did some quick and dirty testing and I am liking that PDC idea you have. Again as you found out you still need to setup a new colony but it makes things viable for many worlds now. I have things setup in my current game where I only use a single terraforming ship at a world rather than a fleet massing millons of tons. This means the process is generally very slow unless I invest in huge amounts of infrastructure for installations., hopefully this will ease the burden of it then sit back and just wait for the dust to clear.

For the current tech level I can prefab a 100 armour PDC for 9k DUR and 3k NEU, not too bad mineral costs really. All I need do then is ship it to locations get them bolted together and transfered over to the other colony population. Pretty sure doing things this way I could even pull down the temperature on venus to levels that can be managed until the atmosphere becomes reasonable.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 08:36:35 AM »
For the current tech level I can prefab a 100 armour PDC for 9k DUR and 3k NEU, not too bad mineral costs really. All I need do then is ship it to locations get them bolted together and transfered over to the other colony population. Pretty sure doing things this way I could even pull down the temperature on venus to levels that can be managed until the atmosphere becomes reasonable.

Beam weapons are ineffective when targeting worlds with over 101.325 kPa of atmosphere, so this technique would be useless on Venus. Orbital Habitats would probably be more efficient in any circumstance.