Author Topic: quick AMM question  (Read 1368 times)

Offline samargh (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
quick AMM question
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
fiddling with missiles (and a 2:1 warhead strength ratio) if I go under .5 warhead it goes from being anti ship to anti missile and the warhead strength drops to zero.

does that mean that AMMs do not need a warhead (its essentially just a high speed mass ramming attack) and I can therefore set warhead to zero and use the mass for engine and agility?

cheers

Dave

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: quick AMM question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:28:50 AM »
Ok, stop right there :P

No, you NEED a warhead strength of 1, or there will be no explosion.

But, I seem to understand you didn't even research warhead strength 3? Stop right there, seriously, a missile without at LEAST warhead strength 3 researched is very, very weak. And an AMM, even more so, just not worth considering. Too much space is taken up by the warhead, and that results in a slow missile.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:35:39 AM by Zincat »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »
When you are looking at a conventional start or low tech levels...your missiles aren't the wonder birds of the high tech goodness.  But they work, you just need to deploy them in numbers and live with probability theory.

It is a massive breakthrough when you get 3:1 warhead tech.  It is quite literally game changing in terms of missile design.

The formula that works out how many engines (or space for engines) that optimizes your to-hit chance is, if my memory is working right:
                  (number_of_engines) = (missile_size*10+agility_factor*remaining_space)/(engine_size*2*agility_factor); remaining_space is the amount left over after warhead, fuel and sensor.

Basically for low agility missiles you need lots of engines or lots of space into engines to give you a high speed.  As your missile gets more agile it is no longer necessary to build it for speed.  Pretty much use this formula straight up for your AAMs.  Your ASMs might have other factors you want to consider so use it to give you a start point and then fiddle to taste. 

Charlie Beeler though deserves credit for basically spuring me on to do a proper analysis of the whole missile design process. 

Offline samargh (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:07:56 AM »
Ok, stop right there :P

No, you NEED a warhead strength of 1, or there will be no explosion.

But, I seem to understand you didn't even research warhead strength 3? Stop right there, seriously, a missile without at LEAST warhead strength 3 researched is very, very weak. And an AMM, even more so, just not worth considering. Too much space is taken up by the warhead, and that results in a slow missile.

;D

Cool, remember to install warheads (I played it safe and did so... or at least strapped a fire cracker to the front, does that count?)

Deliberately didn't research it pre-game as I got a missile tech this time round (used the freebies for stuff I didn't get scientists for to give me a head start on those), so it was started as a normal project straight away and will be the first completed.

I won't make it out system by the time its matured and I've got new birds...

Offline strych90

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Awe so no Kinetic Kill AMMs? :(

In all seriousness though, I never found AMMs particularly useful until I got at least 4:1 warheads. Didnt bother building them with lower tech because up till that point they're just sluggish and I could never get the stats up to what I thought would work. 0.33 of a 1.0 missile devoted to warhead compared to .25 that extra engine or maneuver makes a big difference in performance.