Author Topic: Service industries population fraction  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
Service industries population fraction
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:00:20 AM »
Hello

I have a quick question : how is defined the % of the population dedicated to Service industries ? I know that Agriculture & Environmental is 5 + (colony cost x 5) %, but I can't find the calculation for Service industries.

Is there anything in Aurora that part of population is useful for ?

Maybe I should instead ask how is defined the % of the population dedicated to Manufacturing, but at the end we agree that both questions produce the same answers.

Thanks

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Service industries population fraction
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:12:16 AM »
Service industries do nothing useful, except to serve to lower the amount of manufacturing industry available. I don't know the exact formula, but at about 250 million population the percentage hits 70%, under that population and theres less service percentage, making smaller colonies more efficient.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:18:34 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Colony cost also makes it worse, IIRC (extra workers are needed to take care of all that infrastructure).

John

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
From the Wiki
Agriculture and Environmental (A&E). The percentage and actual amount of population working to feed the rest of the population and maintain any environmental infrastructure. The required percentage is based on the colony cost and is assigned automatically by Aurora. A colony cost zero world will only have 5% assigned to this sector.
Service Industries (SI): This is the percentage and amount of population working in service industries, which includes everything that is not related to A&E or Manufacturing. The percentage required for SI is based on the total size of the population and is assigned automatically by Aurora. As a population grows, the relative size of the SI sector increases.
Manufacturing: The available population after the size of the A&E and SI Sectors has been determined. All factories, mines, shipyards, etc must be manned by this sector of the population.

The percentage of service industry scales with population and hits 75% around 500 million.  I though I had seen an exact formula, but I cannot find it now

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
Quote from: Steve
AgriPercent = (ColCost + 1) * 0.05
ServicePercent = Sqr(Sqr(TotalPop * 100000)) / 100 (with a max of 0.75)

TotalPop is in millions.

The available manufacturing population is the total population - (agri pop + service pop).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »
it should be noted that while small colonies are manufacturing-efficient, their trade capability tends to be minimal.

Offline Gobbopathe (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »
TotalPop is in millions.

The available manufacturing population is the total population - (agri pop + service pop).

Great, thanks