Author Topic: PMCs/Corporations/The Corporate Sector/Crime & Such  (Read 2655 times)

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
PMCs/Corporations/The Corporate Sector/Crime & Such
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
Yoooo, so I've been playing aurora for a couple of weeks now and ill be honest it is truly one of the most innovative games today. But I've noticed one thing missing (well not missing) that at least for me is a major part of interstellar empires: corporations. I know we have shipping lines already but they don't do much what do you think of corporations expanded?                                                                                                Let's take for example PMCs or private military corporations, basically barely-within-law mercenaries. It would be interesting to see what kind of things you could do: contract them tax them all that.                       Ok another interesting feature I'd like to see, I know it's been mentioned before but: civilian colonies created without need for you to designate it. Also all the civilian things that would go along with it.                        Finally to go along with this stuff I propose a system of implemented law. We can't let these corporations go around unchecked, maybe some sort of congressional interface or similar thing.                                           Feel free to discuss or add on.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Re: PMCs/Corporations/The Corporate Sector/Crime & Such
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
Would be interesting, although it will cause some annoyances. Maybe have it optional, like the Precursors, Star Swarm or Iinvaders?
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• s
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »
I would agree with that otherwise new players might get overwhelmed "wtf, I have a colony next to a black hole?!?!?!"

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
Colonies will actually establish themselves; you can drop infrastructure and the colonists will land, but my new method is to terraform the planet to Zero and BOOMshackalacka it fills right up.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
PMC's could work for ground troops, especially involved in garrison duties with hostile alien populations. I can't really see a PMC running military-grade ships though simply because the cost/risk of loss is too high.

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• s
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:43 AM »
Not really because usually PMCs get hired out to an area already contested depending on who hired them they might act as security or as special forces. Even if direct combat ships were not profitable (or legal) they would still maintain a fleet of FACS troop transports and possibly fighters not to mention other support ships

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »
This is an interesting idea.  But until Steve majorly revamps the AI I don't see it being helpful to game flow.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
You could say that the garrison units deployed on civilian mining colonies are kindof-PMCs :)

Offline scoopdjm (OP)

• s
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
This is an interesting idea.  But until Steve majorly revamps the AI I don't see it being helpful to game flow.
entirely true it's an expansive idea and would require Alot of work. However it's just a suggestion so let us fantasize won't you?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
entirely true it's an expansive idea and would require Alot of work. However it's just a suggestion so let us fantasize won't you?

Didn't say not too.   :D
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
At some point, I will change the civilian model so that minerals have to be accounted for and civilian shipyards appear. Civilian corporations will likely replace shipping lines and mining companies and each corporation will handle several different business areas. There would be some crossover with the government (you) in each area, just as there is now with mining and shipping, except this might expand to the corporations placing orders with your shipyards and the government ordering ships from civilian shipbuilders.

It is possible that I would include the ability for corporations to build small patrol ships. All this is some time away though, especially as my current focus is on Newtonian Aurora

Steve

Offline DFDelta

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
To add on those ideas here.       

It would be cool if you could put military grade equipment into a "paramilitary" state.       
Ships equipped with those weapons/shields/fire controls/similar could then be build by PMCs.     
"This is a paramilitary ship design and counts as such for maintenance and .      .      .      " you get the idea.       Those can not be built by players.     

Said PMCs then rent those ships to (wealthy) planets without the player having to do anything.        The ships will then patrol near their employing planet and protect it, ships from the same PMC patrolling near the same planet will automatically form a task group.        (Stoecker Security - PMC Fleet : Terra).       
PMC ships that are rented by a planet have a protection value of 150% (a small frigate with 20 PP would count as a 30PP ship).       
Each PMC also produces "Mercenary Garrison Battalion" and assigns them to ships if they have paramilitary grade ships with troop transport modules.       (1 module = 1 "MGB")
If a planet employs those TT ships they will unload their garrison forces on the planet they are assigned to.       
"MGB"s have combat values similar to normal garrison battalions, but to also add 15 PP to the planet they are stationed on and are a little bit better at reducing unrest.       

The government (player) can rent the shipsand manually direct them to a planet, which will cost you a lot.       

Downsides to PMCs are that they do not net you money like civie lines, and once unrest gets more severe consequences you might end up suddenly fighting your own PMC troops that are on the payroll of some rebellious planet.     
(You have better not allowed them to use state of the art military equipment then)  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:13:14 PM by DFDelta »
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:04:46 PM »
All I care about is industrialization and logistics, so i'm happy to wait, steve!  :D

I'm a little worried about linking civ. ship production to minerals, though-- the corundium/duranium/mercasium crashes can be pretty bad as is, early on, and an unfettered civ industry could put a hurt on you when you've already instituted a ship-building hiatus.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:46:49 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »
I'd just like to point out one of my prior posts on the subject:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2828.msg39843.html#msg39843

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
I'd just like to point out one of my prior posts on the subject:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2828.msg39843.html#msg39843

Thanks for linking this. Some very good ideas. I will go through it properly when I finally get around to addressing changes to civs

Steve