Author Topic: Newtonian and TN Aurora  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Corik (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Newtonian and TN Aurora
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
I've been thinking these days, now that we see some improvements designed for Newtonian Aurora coming to TN Aurora, and I wonder if both games will coexist when Newtonian comes out.

As Newtonian is going to be pretty realistic game using the laws of physics as we know them, Trans-Newtonian could be another game mode with less realistic laws for those who prefer playing in a fantasy-scifi universe. I think there's no point (if both modes are going to coexist) in keeping one mode hyper realistic and the other just super realistic. I've always wanted to play a game like this with some of the things we've seen in series like Stargate, Babylon 5 or even Star Wars itself.

Well, just a stupid suggestion I thought I could share.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Newtonian and TN Aurora
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »
I've been thinking these days, now that we see some improvements designed for Newtonian Aurora coming to TN Aurora, and I wonder if both games will coexist when Newtonian comes out.

As Newtonian is going to be pretty realistic game using the laws of physics as we know them, Trans-Newtonian could be another game mode with less realistic laws for those who prefer playing in a fantasy-scifi universe. I think there's no point (if both modes are going to coexist) in keeping one mode hyper realistic and the other just super realistic. I've always wanted to play a game like this with some of the things we've seen in series like Stargate, Babylon 5 or even Star Wars itself.

Well, just a stupid suggestion I thought I could share.

There are some fundamental differences in the two games, including a revamp of almost all the movement and combat code and an FTL model rather than jump points. I am moving elements of the strategic side from NA to normal Aurora rather than the tactical. There are a few more things I am considering moving to normal Aurora though, including a more flexible engine design process and perhaps making fuel more important (i.e. higher fuel consumption and more reliance on gas giants for fuel).

Steve

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:10 AM »
Wouldnt stars be a source of fuel as well ?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
Wouldnt stars be a source of fuel as well ?
Please explain your thinking. I cannot understand the logic behind this comment (I could of course be missing somethinh obvious)

Offline lastverb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
There is something obvious you might be missing - stars have almost identical (hydrogen-helium) composition to gas giants, they just exceed critical density.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
I know exactly what a star is made of  , however gases at around 5,778° K (as a surface temperature for the photosphere) do not strike me as a convenient fuel source. due to the general problem of everything being evaporated in seconds at those temperatures such as the fueling ship. I was hoping for some cunning and clever way around basic physics not to be reminded what a star is made of.

Perhaps Sorium could be hand waved as not being involved in the fusion process of the star but as I say I don't understand how you wold interact with the star to extract it

Offline Corik (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I'm speculating here but as my post was a suggestion to make actual Aurora (when Newtonian Aurora is ready) more like a science fiction game than a realistic game, using things seen in Stargate, Babylon 5 and other sci-fi shows, he may be suggesting stars as fuel source just like Destiny used stars to refuel in Stargate Universe.

Again, I'm just speculating because I don't know what's his thinking.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_lifting

XD  We need megascale constructions like this. 

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:41:01 AM »
That was a neat link, not heard of that before. Still somewhat beyond the scope of Aurora given the energy levels needed and the ability to rebuilt solar systems on a routine basis , but a nice idea