Author Topic: New tech lines for Railguns and Particle Beams  (Read 2940 times)

Offline DFDelta (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
New tech lines for Railguns and Particle Beams
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:07:02 AM »
I can't help but feel that ever since lasers got their spinal mount option those two weapon systems have fallen behind in usefulness compared to them.

They still have their niche where they are slightly better then the laser, but even combined with their cheaper research (if you want your laser to reach all its potential) its just not enough to make me want to use them when compared to the allmighty lasers flexibility.
Compared to the meson, gauss, plasma or HPM which all still have highly specialized areas that set them apart from the laser or where they are clearly superior, the PB and RG are "just" pure damage weapons for long or medium range respectively, both areas where the laser is also at its strongest.
Therefore I suggest a new line of research for each.

Railgun: Advanced Alloys. New and improved heat resistant metal alloys. This research has 3 levels that reduce the atmosphere reentry penalty to 0.85, 0.70 and 0.5; so a fully researched railgun would only lose 50% of its damage when shooting at a 1.0 atm planet (They'd still be useless against 2.0 atm, or even earlier considering that damage <1 gets rounded down to 0).

Particle Beams: Another 3 level research. Each level increases the damage the beam deals to interior systems by 25%, meaning a strength 4 beam with level 3 of this research would count as a strength 7 weapon when rolled against a components HTK. I'm sure someone could even come up with a good name for this, I can't though  :P

Both of those researches should be somewhat expensive to research (8000, 16000, 32000 RP?) for a young nation but free when included in the actual weapon. (Added automatically to every weapon designed after the research completed. Kinda like improved agility or warhead research for missile designs.)
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: New tech lines for Railguns and Particle Beams
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:23:34 AM »
I like the particle beam suggestion, actually It would make sense that mesons are advanced weapons only unlockable far down the tech tree after some of that particle beam research, or possibly spoiler only weapons.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
Particle Beams: Another 3 level research. Each level increases the damage the beam deals to interior systems by 25%, meaning a strength 4 beam with level 3 of this research would count as a strength 7 weapon when rolled against a components HTK. I'm sure someone could even come up with a good name for this, I can't though  :P

it sounds like these beams are either hyperon-doped, monopolar, or supersymmetric
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
In general when it comes to beam ( and kinetic ) weapons I feel there should be more options to miniaturize them, since it's cool to also be able to use your main weapon of choice as backup PD or fighter/FAC side-arm.
This would increase their usability further and provide more interesting options.

Lasers already get firing speed drawbacks and Gauss get hit chance drawbacks but many other drawbacks could provide unique character like:
- exceptionally high buildcost (x10 or x50 for a small version)
- almost no range
- extra energy/reactor need (without changing recharge time)
- lower damage multiplier
- higher explosion chance/damage (if it blows the ship blows)
- higher research costs (only come into play lategame)

But you are right with the main point of the suggestion, with all options lasers are so much more flexible that your almost stupid if you don't research them. They can cover almost any and all beam roles with their flexibility.

I like the particle beam suggestion, actually It would make sense that mesons are advanced weapons only unlockable far down the tech tree after some of that particle beam research, or possibly spoiler only weapons.

I agree 100% with mesons not being available at the start. They feel far to powerful for this IMHO.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
Mesons need to START at 1000cm or so, and get miniaturized as you tech up.  Something would have to be done to the size=range=RPcost side of the equation obviously, but it should be a simple fix.  So, you could build Meson ships early if you wanted them to pierce shields etc. but not as easily as now.

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing something like a spinal mount/heavy mount for railguns, either.  Something sort of like the giant ship-killing kinetic guns from BSG.  Longer range, maybe a bit of an uptick in damage at the expense of greatly increased size and perhaps reduced rate of fire.
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
Has Steve ever said why it is that only lasers can use the reduced size and spinal mount options, and not the particle beams, meson cannons, etc? Is it a balance issue?

Offline Sharp

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing something like a spinal mount/heavy mount for railguns, either.  Something sort of like the giant ship-killing kinetic guns from BSG.  Longer range, maybe a bit of an uptick in damage at the expense of greatly increased size and perhaps reduced rate of fire.

There were giant kinetic guns in BSG? I have only seen new BSG but I don't recall anything apart from guns on Vipers and the flak guns otherwise it was just missiles (which I don't remember being fired from Galactica anyway)

Still having like some ship-long mass driver might be interesting

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »

Has Steve ever said why it is that only lasers can use the reduced size and spinal mount options, and not the particle beams, meson cannons, etc? Is it a balance issue?

I thought I recalled that Steve wanted to implement spinal mounts for particle beams and rail guns, but hadn't gotten around to it. 

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
There were giant kinetic guns in BSG? I have only seen new BSG but I don't recall anything apart from guns on Vipers and the flak guns otherwise it was just missiles (which I don't remember being fired from Galactica anyway)

The Pegasus had several heavy fixed guns mounted on its forward section. In the battle over New Caprica, they took out a basestar with just a few shots.
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
There was a new caprica? :s
Yeah I missed a lot of that series.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
I don't want to say much more in case I spoil it for others who haven't seen it yet, but... yes, there was a New Caprica. Briefly.

I thought I recalled that Steve wanted to implement spinal mounts for particle beams and rail guns, but hadn't gotten around to it. 

I hope this is the case. I prefer having a few large guns/large missiles as opposed to many smaller ones, especially with the way armor and now shock damage works in Aurora.