Author Topic: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread  (Read 21916 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
Please post potential bugs in this thread for v1.9.4. The Bug Moderators (at this point Bughunter, Garfunkel, Nori and SpaceMarine) will post bugs into the Confirmed Thread as appropriate. They may ask for more information or clarifications in order to do so, so please help them if you can. They will also point out if something is working as intended or likely due to another issue such as decimal separators

Please check the Known Issues post before posting so see if the problem has already been identified or is working as intended.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0

'Me too' posts for unresolved bugs are fine as it shows they are affecting more than one person. Any extra information you can provide in 'me too' posts is very welcome.

Please do not post bugs from previous versions unless you confirm they are still present in v1.9.4

When you post, please post as much information as possible, including:
The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
What you were doing at the time
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:29:40 PM by Erik L »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: v1.9.4 Potential Bugs Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
Morning Steve.

Right off the bat avast has blocked it from running. All good

1) Prototyping causes a research complete message.

The function number N/A
The complete error text N/A
The window affected Events
What you were doing at the time Prototyping
Conventional or TN start TN I think
Random or Real Stars Random
Is your decimal separator a comma? No
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Repeatable
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well 198

2) Without communications, you are still able to suggest/request/demand NPR leave. No longer able to repeat.

3) With no contacts in any system, I am still getting spammed "Communications stalled" messages. AI now attempting communications.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:23:24 AM by swarm_sadist »

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
Pressing 'create swarm' button in the system generation and display while SM is active returns the following error: "#1420 Object reference not set to an instance of an object". It happened in my 1.9.3 game with non-real stars, it kept happening after being updated and I recreated it effortlessly with a fresh install of the game with real stars (I went into the default game, explored a new JP in SM mode, pressed 'create swarm' and presto! the error appeared).

In addition when a new system was being generated in my previous game I sometimes got that error as well. I didn't think too much about it as it seemed like nothing was wrong. I now think the game is not generating the swarm.

My decimal symbol is a period.

Edit: After I posted I dismissed the error window and just in case I pressed the "create swarm" button again. This time there were no error messages. After clicking it several times I sometimes got an error and sometimes I didn't so it may not be as easy to re-create as I thought.

Edit 2: I exited and returned without saving. This time I had no issues creating the swarm within the Sol system. Not sure if it sorted itself out or what.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:06:42 AM by Haji »

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
Morning Steve.

Right off the bat avast has blocked it from running.

Some minor bugs from 1.9.3 that I wasn't able to get in:

2) Without communications, you are still able to suggest/request/demand NPR leave.

3) With no contacts in any system, I am still getting spammed "Communications stalled" messages.

Hello, Can you please provide the following and also a database if possible so we can have a look and see if the issue is reproducible, please use the guidelines below.

The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well

Please answer to each of these questions and requests. Thank you.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 11:06:37 AM »
Pressing 'create swarm' button in the system generation and display while SM is active returns the following error: "#1420 Object reference not set to an instance of an object". It happened in my 1.9.3 game with non-real stars, it kept happening after being updated and I recreated it effortlessly with a fresh install of the game with real stars (I went into the default game, explored a new JP in SM mode, pressed 'create swarm' and presto! the error appeared).

In addition when a new system was being generated in my previous game I sometimes got that error as well. I didn't think too much about it as it seemed like nothing was wrong. I now think the game is not generating the swarm.

My decimal symbol is a period.

Edit: After I posted I dismissed the error window and just in case I pressed the "create swarm" button again. This time there were no error messages. After clicking it several times I sometimes got an error and sometimes I didn't so it may not be as easy to re-create as I thought.

Thank you for the report but please answer the following, and can you also provide a DB if you do not know how to do that I can walk you through it, I have attempted to reproduce your error and it has not appeared so if you could do the following that would be great.

The function number
The complete error text
The window affected
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars

Please provide an answer to each of these questions and requests. Thank you

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
The window affected: Crete Research Project

When designing engine prototype with "show next tech" checkbox checked. There is no next tech for bigger engines (Currently I have size 25 max, with checkbox it is still 25 instead of 40). I know power mod has problems with show next tech, but this should be a bug.

Conventional start
Random Stars
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Easy to reproduce

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
The window affected: Crete Research Project

When designing engine prototype with "show next tech" checkbox checked. There is no next tech for bigger engines (Currently I have size 25 max, with checkbox it is still 25 instead of 40). I know power mod has problems with show next tech, but this should be a bug.

Conventional start
Random Stars
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Easy to reproduce

I have been able to reproduce this bug and I will be sending this to the confirmed bug section, thank you for the report.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
Morning Steve.

Right off the bat avast has blocked it from running. All good

~snip
I am able to reproduce this. The event log needs to refresh to see it, but it does give a research complete event. It's possible Steve does want the event to fire, but maybe the text should be different.
We'll get this to confirmed bugs. Thanks

Offline Carnagus

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
There is something wrong about ppv calculation, potentially a problem with box launcher ppv calculation.
I have 4 designs:
1, Box launchers and gauss triple turret according to design window adding 88. 06 ppv, but when created only adds 24.
2, Box launchers only, should add 76 ppv, only adds 11 (same number of launchers as 1st design, only difference is the lack of turret) or 12 (I guess rounding error, as the colony window only displays whole numbers)
3, Ship with normal missile launchers, should add 12 ppv, adds 12 ppv when built.
4, Ship with launchers, should add 24ppv, adds 24 when built.
The turret itself is worth 12. 06 ppv according to the design window. 

Decimal separator is .  thousand separator is ,
Game lenght 52 years.
No function number, or error text
Conventional start
Version 1. 9. 4 (patched from 1. 9. 3 but the displayed numbers did not change, and tried building a new ship and got the same numbers)
Attached DB

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
Version 1. 9. 4 (patched from 1. 9. 3 but the displayed numbers did not change

Numbers definitely should change (did for me). Could you try to delete your exe and copy in the 1.9.4 one again?

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
There is something wrong about ppv calculation, potentially a problem with box launcher ppv calculation.
I have 4 designs:
1, Box launchers and gauss triple turret according to design window adding 88. 06 ppv, but when created only adds 24.
2, Box launchers only, should add 76 ppv, only adds 11 (same number of launchers as 1st design, only difference is the lack of turret) or 12 (I guess rounding error, as the colony window only displays whole numbers)
3, Ship with normal missile launchers, should add 12 ppv, adds 12 ppv when built.
The turret itself is worth 12. 06 ppv according to the design window. 

Decimal separator is .  thousand separator is ,
Game lenght 52 years.
Conventional start
Version 1. 9. 4 (patched from 1. 9. 3 but the displayed numbers did not change, and tried building a new ship and got the same numbers)
Attached DB

Hello thank you for filing a report, I looked at your DB and looked through the designs, it seems to me everything is working fine you say the boxer launchers only add 11 but I see 76 in the window, here is an image of that attached below, can you please clarify further on what the bug directly is and what you mean. Thank you.

Also try to repeat this on a fresh install where 1.9.4 does show up correctly in misc

Offline Carnagus

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Bughunter link=topic=11231. msg130381#msg130381 date=1588526052
Quote from: Carnagus link=topic=11231. msg130379#msg130379 date=1588525502
Version 1.  9.  4 (patched from 1.  9.  3 but the displayed numbers did not change

Numbers definitely should change (did for me).  Could you try to delete your exe and copy in the 1. 9. 4 one again?

I deleted and recopied the exe (1. 9. 4 in misc tab), but the provided ppv (on the colony screen( I'm sorry I probably was not clear enough, the problem is with the actual provided ppv on the colony screen not on the design screen) did not change (it displays 440 for me, should be higher)

Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=11231. msg130382#msg130382 date=1588526088
Quote from: Carnagus link=topic=11231. msg130379#msg130379 date=1588525502
I have 4 designs:
1, Box launchers and gauss triple turret according to design window adding 88.  06 ppv, but when created only adds 24. 
The turret itself is worth 12.  06 ppv according to the design window.   

Decimal separator is .   thousand separator is ,
Game lenght 52 years. 
Conventional start
Version 1.  9.  4 (patched from 1.  9.  3 but the displayed numbers did not change, and tried building a new ship and got the same numbers)
Attached DB

Hello thank you for filing a report, I looked at your DB and looked through the designs, it seems to me everything is working fine you say the boxer launchers only add 11 but I see 76 in the window, here is an image of that attached below, can you please clarify further on what the bug directly is and what you mean.  Thank you.

Also try to repeat this on a fresh install where 1. 9. 4 does show up correctly in misc

Sorry I was not clear enough.  The problem is in the colony window with the provided ppv, not the ship info window.  I have 440 ppv provided on Luna, should be higher.
 I'm on 1. 9. 4 according to misc tab

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
I have done the math and calculated your ships should provide you 892.36 PPV, it is only providing 440 and I have been able to repeat this, as such I will pass this along to the confirmed section and attached your database. Thank you for the report, let me know if you have anymore bugs to report.

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:12 PM »
1. (Repost of minor, persisting issue from 1.9.3) Real stars conventional 1.9 start, upgraded in three steps to 1.9.4. Do I put four comma-separated cats into my new dishwasher because it has a label on it that tells me urgently not to? Not while I'm sober, and probably not even otherwise. Although continental, it's set to handle dotted cats by default. Other questions n/a or answer follows.

Issue: Cancel button in Select Name still doesn't cancel properly and assigns previously selected or entered name from different object or window. Checked it only within System Generation & Display view this time; but before it also occurred in any other place where there's a Select Name button. Reproduce: In the system 'tryagain', manually rename body 'tryagain-A II' to 'buggard'. Then click Select Name for the System. Click Cancel. System is now named 'buggard'.

2. (Another repost of a still more minor issue/request) I had posted this minor bug report/feature completion request in the 1.8 thread shortly before update. I'm not sure if Steve did read it, but decided for one or other reason not to answer it. But I couldn't tell. As gamebraking bugs seem to become rare (workforce: 1, time: 3 weeks!), I dare to ask again.

Issue: The ship history VBAurora-style, or at least some of it, seems generated in the database, and there is a Ship Overview/History tab. Only, it's empty. Since the data and ui structure are already there, it would be nice to have displayed what is in, in addition to the excellent new shipwise stats on the main page – on the (surmised) condition that it takes only a fairly small coding effort. Or to know what the plans are for it.

3. (Thank you to the new 'bug moderators' for increasing efficiency by filtering cats and other non-bugs in advance)

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
It seems the tech "Reduced-size Laser 0.75 Size / 4x Recharge" does not change laser size:

with Standard Laser Size and Recharge Rate:
Code: [Select]
Damage Output 3    Rate of Fire 5 seconds     Range Modifier 20 000
Max Range 60 000 km     Laser Size 3 HS  (150 tons)     Laser HTK 1
Power Requirement 3    Recharge Rate 3
Cost 10.4    Crew 9
Development Cost 350 RP

with Reduced-size Laser 0.75 Size / 4x Recharge:
Code: [Select]
Damage Output 3    Rate of Fire 20 seconds     Range Modifier 20 000
Max Range 60 000 km     Laser Size 3 HS  (150 tons)     Laser HTK 1
Power Requirement 3    Recharge Rate 0.75