Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 354478 times)

non sequitur, Kaiser, skoormit and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »
How do you get rid of future prototypes (besides obsoleting them)?

Normal prototypes can be turned into research prototypes which can then be deleted through the research screen.  Can't get it to work for future prototypes though.
I believe you would need to wait until the future tech is researched, create the prototype as a research project and delete the research project.
So for practical purposes obsoleting them is the way to go. Might be worth putting in the suggestions thread.
Future prototypes can't be made into research projects even after you get the required techs.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread - C# Edition
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 03:00:24 AM »
How do you work out weight of extra crew?

deployment_time(1/3) * crew

So if a jump drive needs, say, 20 crew, and you have a 24 month deployment on the ship, you will need 24(1/3) * 20 = 57.7 tons.  Since aurora's smallest crew quarters for ships is the 5 ton Tiny, we need to round up to the nearest 5 tons.  Note that the ship may have a little free space available, so subtract that spare crew tonnage first before rounding up

For simplicity, you can see deployment_time(1/3) calculated and displayed for you on the miscellaneous tab of Class Design, listed as Crew Quarter Tons per Man.  (Crew_HS_available Crew_HS_required) * 50 will show how much spare crew tonnage the ship currently has.

For example, I have this on a troop ship with a 6 month deployment: https://prnt.sc/sstoux

6(1/3) is 1.8171, and it shows 1.82 — note that the game is using more precision than it is displaying here.  So, supposing I needed to add berths for 20 crew, they will take another 20 * 1.8171 tons, or 36.342 tons.  I have (14.5 14.46) * 50 = 2 tons of spare berthing, so I need an additional 34.4 tons to fit 20 more crew, which means I'd need 35 tons since we have to round up to the nearest 5.

As a sanity test, the ship has 398 crew.  398 * 1.8171 = 723.206 tons, or rather, 725 tons of crew quarters.  And when I look, it has https://prnt.sc/sstwdl which is 14 * 50 + 2 * 10 + 1 * 5 = 725 tons.  723.206 / 50 is 14.4612 HS, which matches Crew_HS_Required.  725 is 14.5 HS, which also matches Crew_HS_Available.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:49:27 AM by amram »

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, Migi

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
Smallest Crew Quarters is the 2 Ton Fighter Sized.

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 06:18:19 PM »
True, but it seems it never gets assigned automatically for a larger ship, such as one large enough to have its own jump drive, so for most cases, your facing the tiny.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 07:31:09 PM »
Fair enough. :)

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 04:08:33 AM »
Is it normal for precursors to have way more ships than in VB6?
One system has around 80 16kt ships, and that is only the AMM class, there are a couple dozen more combat ships. 
In a second system I just found another 39 combat ships and stations, and I already destroyed about a dozen there.  Some stations way off course from any planet as well.

If I can destroy them and capture the harvesters, of which I found 156 in both systems combined, I probably won't need to build another one ever. 

But I really need better PD to get through the AMM spam of 23 ships with 23 launchers each, let alone 80.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Is it normal for precursors to have way more ships than in VB6?
One system has around 80 16kt ships, and that is only the AMM class, there are a couple dozen more combat ships. 
In a second system I just found another 39 combat ships and stations, and I already destroyed about a dozen there.  Some stations way off course from any planet as well.

If I can destroy them and capture the harvesters, of which I found 156 in both systems combined, I probably won't need to build another one ever. 

But I really need better PD to get through the AMM spam of 23 ships with 23 launchers each, let alone 80.
that number is very uncommon, but is certainly possible. you might also want some big shields, the larger sizes tend to be good at helping you deal with, and drain enemy AMM.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:51 PM »
Hadn't really thought about shields yet.  And my next gen ships are just being rolled out, including the first 15kt ships (beam light cruisers).  Maybe I can refit them rather quickly with shields.  I have epsilon shields by now.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2020, 06:25:38 AM »
Is there a way for a fighter wing to land on a carrier and be retained as a subfleet within the carrier fleet?

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
Is there a way for a fighter wing to land on a carrier and be retained as a subfleet within the carrier fleet?
Land on assigned mothership as subfleet? Certainly ought to do it...

IIRC you can only use that command if you've got an assigned mothership already. So you might have to lose your wing structure on initial assignment to the carrier and rebuild it in the carrier's fleet. But then you'd be able to keep it after each sortie.

(Avoid the standing order 'land on assigned mothership', I don't think it uses the 'as subfleet' option.)

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »
Am I missing something or are conquered aliens forced to adopt our commander name theme? I'd like to give them their own distinctive names so that it would be easy to see by looking at the name which species someone is.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2020, 12:17:47 AM »
Am I missing something or are conquered aliens forced to adopt our commander name theme? I'd like to give them their own distinctive names so that it would be easy to see by looking at the name which species someone is.
I haven't been in that situation yet, but that should probably be brought up in the suggestions thread.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
I want to create Ground HQ Formations and leave them on a ship to command their sub-ordinate formations from from orbit.

Can I do that and still get the bonus?

For example:

- Orbital Command [This one stays on the ship]
  -  Logistics Formation [This one might get landed piecemeal]
      --- Everything Else [This get landed too]

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »
I want to create Ground HQ Formations and leave them on a ship to command their sub-ordinate formations from from orbit.

For example:

No.  HQ formations only apply their bonuses to subordinate formations at the same location.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »

For example:

No.  HQ formations only apply their bonuses to subordinate formations at the same location.
Or not at all regardless of location, according to most reports...

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage