Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252763 times)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »
Sorry..am REALLY become hating these posts. Questions? Too many. useful? Useless. Am hopes Steve going forward without folow hundreds of "questions" or "suggestions". And stop. Too many ppl questioning..too long take Game to born.

Wtf ppl wanna? This isnt a Messengers chat. How many looser time.

@Steve : good job. Whatever u want. Every time.

(My english isnt understandable? amen. The point its CLEAR : stop suggestions. )

Offline Rye123

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »
.... it's a forum. It's not like this is the "suggestions" thread where everyone's supposed to post suggestions, or the "questions" thread where everyone's supposed to post questions.

I'm pretty sure Steve doesn't say "oh I'll spend an hour replying to questions instead of working on the game", he probably checks the forum in his free time, etc, and I'm pretty sure he knows what suggestions are feasible for now and for later and to filter out the suggestions to leave for later.

What's the purpose of a "suggestions" and a "questions" thread if they were empty?

I understand you're irritated, but this is probably another way for people to express their excitement.

The following users thanked this post: iceball3

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »
.... it's a forum. It's not like this is the "suggestions" thread where everyone's supposed to post suggestions, or the "questions" thread where everyone's supposed to post questions.

I'm pretty sure Steve doesn't say "oh I'll spend an hour replying to questions instead of working on the game", he probably checks the forum in his free time, etc, and I'm pretty sure he knows what suggestions are feasible for now and for later and to filter out the suggestions to leave for later.

What's the purpose of a "suggestions" and a "questions" thread if they were empty?

I understand you're irritated, but this is probably another way for people to express their excitement.

I'm also sure Steve has received many seeds to new ideas for Aurora over the year through questions and suggestions on this forum. I hardly think it is useless information or is wasting anyone's time.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2019, 04:01:43 AM »

I'm also sure Steve has received many seeds to new ideas for Aurora over the year through questions and suggestions on this forum. I hardly think it is useless information or is wasting anyone's time.

Yes, many, many ideas :)

I tend to take a lot of short breaks while programming so browsing forums is a good way to fill that time. It isn't a distraction.

The following users thanked this post: clement, iceball3, V1D0, bro918, Alucard, JustAnotherDude

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
Okay. Go ahead with "suggestions".

See ya in 2025

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2019, 05:23:31 AM »
Okay. Go ahead with "suggestions".

See ya in 2025
You read steve's post, right?
Even if everyone listened to you, all it would do is give steve less to do on his free time. The time he's specifically not coding. He can't spend every waking moment developing the game.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
I mean, the guy is probably right that some of the suggestions will get listened to prior to release.  Not necessarily that big of a deal though.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »
I mean, the guy is probably right that some of the suggestions will get listened to prior to release.  Not necessarily that big of a deal though.
Yep, to be fair to ware, suggestions can and do slow down the release of the game. However, I would say that any suggestions that do slow down the release of the game slow it down for good reason, they're substantial additions that will enhance the game. The initial idea for designing ground units came out of a suggestion I made and led to a general re-look at ground combat (I think). I'm sure that ate up a lot of time and if you don't care about ground combat you'd probably consider it a waste of time. But to me the new system looks like a lot of fun and I'm hyped to play around and land some troops. Although that was itself prompted by the removal of PDCs which I think sort of required a re-look at ground units anyway so whether it would have happened anyway with or without my suggestion is debatable. That being said, I think the focus is on making the game work right now rather than feature creep so waresky should probably calm down.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:05 PM »
The initial idea for designing ground units came out of a suggestion I made and led to a general re-look at ground combat (I think). I'm sure that ate up a lot of time and if you don't care about ground combat you'd probably consider it a waste of time. But to me the new system looks like a lot of fun and I'm hyped to play around and land some troops.
I'm pretty sure the entire ground update was because Steve wanted 'SPACE MARINES!' in his campaign. Thinking back, I think he had an update earlier (unreleased) that had Baneblades as well, although it's been nearly three years and I might of imagined that.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2019, 01:49:56 AM »
The initial idea for designing ground units came out of a suggestion I made and led to a general re-look at ground combat (I think). I'm sure that ate up a lot of time and if you don't care about ground combat you'd probably consider it a waste of time. But to me the new system looks like a lot of fun and I'm hyped to play around and land some troops.
I'm pretty sure the entire ground update was because Steve wanted 'SPACE MARINES!' in his campaign. Thinking back, I think he had an update earlier (unreleased) that had Baneblades as well, although it's been nearly three years and I might of imagined that.

If I'm remembering correctly, it started with wanting Titans, actually. Then it got onto different classes of Titans, and I guess Steve decided he didn't want to special case every single type of special unit going forward for his campaigns, so he ripped the whole thing out and now here we are. Titans with special carry and maintenance requirements were implemented before the ground overhaul happened, or at least were being designed.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:29 AM »
If I'm remembering correctly, it started with wanting Titans, actually. Then it got onto different classes of Titans, and I guess Steve decided he didn't want to special case every single type of special unit going forward for his campaigns, so he ripped the whole thing out and now here we are. Titans with special carry and maintenance requirements were implemented before the ground overhaul happened, or at least were being designed.
It was regarding the PDC removal and how ground-to-space defenses could be handled.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9679.msg104363#msg104363

This is my post and steve's post announcing the planned changes is a few days later further down the page. Of course it's way more fleshed out than my off-my-head proposal but the timing and similarity to what I was thinking has always made me think that my proposal had an impact on the direction of ground unit design (maybe it was a coincidence though and these changes were already planned out) and I THINK the general ground rework went hand in hand with the new way units were designed (I didn't in any way directly suggest any more general changes to organisation and all that though and perhaps it was already in the works prior, I'm not sure, as said above it's been a number of years).

In any case, I think the point stands that suggestions can lead to extra development time, I'm sure I've seen it happen in other regards as well even if this isn't an example.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:35:51 AM by Person012345 »

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
But so can Steve watching tv or movies, reading books, so it's really no extra risk of further development
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline TheRowan

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2019, 02:16:06 AM »
But so can Steve watching tv or movies, reading books, so it's really no extra risk of further development

How much would a sensory deprivation tank with a computer inside cost? And how much trouble would one get in for kidnapping a coder?

Asking for a friend...

The following users thanked this post: Xtrem532, Agoelia

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
LOL

Offline alamoes

• Leading Rate
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
The hot pockets you drop into the tank to keep him alive might inspire him to do a farming overhaul.   Don't risk it.   

The following users thanked this post: TheRowan, Agoelia