Author Topic: Can't figure out how to start  (Read 1746 times)

Offline nick012000 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
Can't figure out how to start
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
When I first tried to install the game, it worked, but I couldn't figure out how to start playing. i was reading the tutorial, but it didn't make any sense. Fist I had the game info screen with the New button talking about the number of systems, probability they'rte linked to the next closest one, et cetera, and then when I clicked on the New button, all I had was a menu bar, and none of the options were the same as the second step.

Then when I installed the Aurora 120 files and the patch, it stopped working altogether and it first gave an arror message about now having enough parameters (needing 2), and when I clicked outy of that one, it kept popping up with a different error message the moment I clicked out of it. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill Aurora.exe to get it to work. I uninstalled it, and I think I'll reinstall it once I get home.

Help?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Can't figure out how to start
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
Most, if not all of the screens referenced in the tutorial are accessible via the "Empire" menu.

There will be some differences as the version that the tutorial is written for is not the version that is available now. I've not had the time to rewrite it. I do believe; however, that all of the screen shortcuts (F2, F4, F12, etc) have been listed in the tutorial when that screen is referenced.

Plus the wiki has (relatively) more up-to-date information on it. The address is in the announcement field at the top of the screen.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
When I first load up a game the first screen I choose is 'Empires' -> 'System maps' (F3) since from there you have the buttons along the top that will then link you into the rest of the screens. The button on the far left is 'Colony Summary' and is one of the most useful screens in the game imho.

There is a steep learning curve, but it is worth the patience and time if you are like the rest of us and love being able to control every minuscule aspect of your empire  :twisted:

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
Quote from: "nick012000"
When I first tried to install the game, it worked, but I couldn't figure out how to start playing. i was reading the tutorial, but it didn't make any sense. Fist I had the game info screen with the New button talking about the number of systems, probability they'rte linked to the next closest one, et cetera, and then when I clicked on the New button, all I had was a menu bar, and none of the options were the same as the second step.
What should happen at this point is that you get a series of popup questions asking about game setup. If you pressed Select instead, you would just get the menu bar and the menu bar would say Commonwealth Campaign.

Then when I installed the Aurora 120 files and the patch, it stopped working altogether and it first gave an arror message about now having enough parameters (needing 2), and when I clicked outy of that one, it kept popping up with a different error message the moment I clicked out of it. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill Aurora.exe to get it to work. I uninstalled it, and I think I'll reinstall it once I get home.
Ah - so in the first step above you had only installed the 0.1 version. You need to go all the way through the install process to v4.0 before the game will work. It is unnecesarily complex at the moment and I do need to create a complete new install. For the moment you also need to ensure you replace any files in the installation directory with the files in each patch. The errors sound like you may have being using different versions of the Aurora.exe and the Stevefire.mdb files.

Steve

Offline bolfry

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • b
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »
A steep learning curve is fine with me; however, is there any one central repository of all the rules information that is the backbone of the program?  I'd like to be able to review the rules in my downtime at work and this webpage is not available from there - plus I'd like to share it with my workmates and get them interested into this as Imperial Starfire has gone the way of the Dodo.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
Quote from: "bolfry"
A steep learning curve is fine with me; however, is there any one central repository of all the rules information that is the backbone of the program?  I'd like to be able to review the rules in my downtime at work and this webpage is not available from there - plus I'd like to share it with my workmates and get them interested into this as Imperial Starfire has gone the way of the Dodo.

Not really.  That's a large part of the learning curve.  But, with some intuitive searches in the forums you can usually find what you need.  If not, just post a question and someone is usually able to provide the answer.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »
Quote from: "bolfry"
I haven't got around to producing a rulebook so the tutorial and the various posts in Mechanics, Ship Design and Academy constitute the body of the 'rules'. It isn't a commercial game so a rulebook hasn't been high on my priority list. There is a wiki with some of that information.

I agree about Imperial Starfire. I enjoyed it and played for many years but with 3rd edition now cancelled I can't see it being revived.

Steve

Offline armandony

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
Hi all! I have finally installed Aurora v4.0B and have started to work through the tutorials. . . All I can say at the moment is WOW!!! I am looking forward to creating my own empire, once I figure out what I am doing. The details in Aurora are amazing....  :D

I am reading through the posts and Wiki to get a feel for the rules and sequence of play.

I have never played Starfire but have read some of the rules and did follow the forums. I was a fan of Star Fleet Battles which is similar to Starfire (the individual ship combat  portion), but it did not let you design your own ships (at least not easily).

Thanks to all for what looks to be a great game!