Author Topic: Combat Transit and sensor destabilisation  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Combat Transit and sensor destabilisation
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:17:41 AM »
What is the difference between a simple Transit and then a Combat Transit?

Also, what is the delay or formula for calculating the delay for the overcoming the effects of transit on Active Search Sensors etc?

I jumped 4 Destroyers through a WP that I knew would have NPR/Precursors sitting on it. I thought that I would have enough time to at least fire the one salvo, but in the end it took so long to enable the Active Search Sensor that the Missile Fire Control on my last surviving ship was damaged therefore making it a moot subject, hah! I lost 4 destroyers with fairly decent crews without firing a single shot  :cry:

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Combat Transit and sensor destabilisation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
What is the difference between a simple Transit and then a Combat Transit?
Combat transits use all the jump rules and are the 'official' type of jump. it should be used when transiting into a hostile situation or through an unknown jump point. The number of ships that can transit is restricted to the squadron size of the jump engine and the ship will appear at anything up to the maximum jump range at the far side (so up to 3 ships and 50,000 kilometers from the jump point for a jump engine with minimum settings). The normal transit is used for all other occasions when it would be tedious to have to move the jump ship back and forth to ferry large fleets through a jump point when there is no danger involved.

Also, what is the delay or formula for calculating the delay for the overcoming the effects of transit on Active Search Sensors etc?

I jumped 4 Destroyers through a WP that I knew would have NPR/Precursors sitting on it. I thought that I would have enough time to at least fire the one salvo, but in the end it took so long to enable the Active Search Sensor that the Missile Fire Control on my last surviving ship was damaged therefore making it a moot subject, hah! I lost 4 destroyers with fairly decent crews without firing a single shot  :cry:
The delay in seconds is equal to: ( 30 + Random Number(1 - 30) )  x Bonus
The Bonus is equal to: 1 - (Crew Grade Bonus / 100 )

So as an example, lets take a squadron with average crew grade bonus of 10%. The base delay is 30 seconds plus a random number from 1-30. Lets assume 15 for a total delay of 45 seconds. The grade bonus is 10% so dividing that by a hundred and deducting it from 1 gives up 0.9. That is multipled by 45 to give a final delay of 40.5 seconds.

Steve

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
Thanks Steve, I am making bigger ships with heavier armour and having them train for longer. Hopefully some of them survive  :wink:

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Thanks for explaining Steve.  I too had this same situation and had to sit through a point-blank fusion torpedo pounding from three precursors while waiting for the active sensors to come up.  Every time I hit the 5 second advance button I was muttering "Lock on! Lock on now!"  :wink:  ).

Oh, I got prisoners from the precursor life pods... should precuror ships be generating survivors?

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »
Quote from: "Laurence"
Thanks for explaining Steve.  I too had this same situation and had to sit through a point-blank fusion torpedo pounding from three precursors while waiting for the active sensors to come up.  Every time I hit the 5 second advance button I was muttering "Lock on! Lock on now!"  :wink:  ).

Oh, I got prisoners from the precursor life pods... should precuror ships be generating survivors?
No, they shouldn't drop life pods, although NPRs will drop them and you can interrogate the crews. What makes you think these were precursors rather than NPRs?

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
Thanks Steve, I am making bigger ships with heavier armour and having them train for longer. Hopefully some of them survive  :wink:
You can also design jump engines with a larger jump radius so they will appear some distance from the jump point, which puts you further from any defenders and gives you a little more time to recover.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »
There are two types of grade in Aurora. There is Crew Grade, which is increased by leaving a commander on the ship with a high training rating. This affects things like firing accuracy, chance of system failure and recovery from transit. There is also Task Force Training, which is the ship's ability to function as part of a fleet. This affects formation keeping and fast response to new orders. The latter is increased by training exercises as part of a task force and is only important is you have the Use Inexperienced Fleet Penalties option enabled on the Game window

Steve

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
No, they shouldn't drop life pods, although NPRs will drop them and you can interrogate the crews. What makes you think these were precursors rather than NPRs?

Steve

Was just a guess.  Hmm... There's nothing in that system and there is only one other warp point that leads to another deserted system.  

Just checking now I do see that the aliens in the system have shown up now in the diplomacy screen, flagged as a Player Race for government.  Is this due to the prisoners?

If theses are an NPR then I'm being entirely too complacent.  Yikes.  Time to move the fleet!

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
Was just a guess.  Hmm... There's nothing in that system and there is only one other warp point that leads to another deserted system.  

Just checking now I do see that the aliens in the system have shown up now in the diplomacy screen, flagged as a Player Race for government.  Is this due to the prisoners?

If theses are an NPR then I'm being entirely too complacent.  Yikes.  Time to move the fleet!
Precursors can appear as an alien race (deliberately so you can't tell the difference :)).

I have checked and I haven't stopped precursors having lifepods (I thought I had) so it still could be either. I have fixed it so that no Precursor lifepods appear in v4.1

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

Precursors can appear as an alien race (deliberately so you can't tell the difference :)).

I have checked and I haven't stopped precursors having lifepods (I thought I had) so it still could be either. I have fixed it so that no Precursor lifepods appear in v4.1

Steve

FYI, the precursors shoot at life pods - either that or they're taking captives for unspeakable purposes (not sure if they're going to put creatures in their ears...).  I lost a ship to precursors - I was going to draw them away with another ship then have a third ship move in to pick up the captives.  Before I got a chance, though the precursors sent a ship to the life pods and the transponders suddenly vanished.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:42:48 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
FYI, the precursors shoot at life pods - either that or they're taking captives for unspeakable purposes (not sure if they're going to put creatures in their ears...).  I lost a ship to precursors - I was going to draw them away with another ship then have a third ship move in to pick up the captives.  Before I got a chance, though the precursors sent a ship to the life pods and the transponders suddenly vanished.
The NPRs will pick up lifepods and interrogate the prisoners to gain espionage points.

Steve