Author Topic: explain ground combat to me  (Read 1670 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
explain ground combat to me
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »
I've read the wiki article and I understand the different strengths of the units as well as the fact that 4 battalions make a brigade and 4 brigades make a division.  Here are a few things I don't understand yet:
- How do you know if enemy troops are present on a planet before you land, and how many, what types?
- I'm going to land a force on a planet with an alien ruin and have no idea if there are troops defending it, or how many defenders might emerge.  Is this a good initial force to land there: 3 mobile infantry, 1 replacement battalion, and 1 brigade HQ? I have three troop carriers with 5 battalion capacity each.
- What's the difference between a construction battalion and combat engineers?  The wiki seems to use the terms interchangeably.  Is a construction battalion sufficient to crack open the alien ruin?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: explain ground combat to me
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
I've read the wiki article and I understand the different strengths of the units as well as the fact that 4 battalions make a brigade and 4 brigades make a division.  Here are a few things I don't understand yet:
- How do you know if enemy troops are present on a planet before you land, and how many, what types?

As far as I know, you can't.

- I'm going to land a force on a planet with an alien ruin and have no idea if there are troops defending it, or how many defenders might emerge.  Is this a good initial force to land there: 3 mobile infantry, 1 replacement battalion, and 1 brigade HQ? I have three troop carriers with 5 battalion capacity each.

That is rather light to defend when opening up ruins. I usually drop a couple of divisions of troops + some replacement battalions before dropping in the engineers. There shouldn't be troops waiting prior to opening the ruins though.

- What's the difference between a construction battalion and combat engineers?  The wiki seems to use the terms interchangeably.  Is a construction battalion sufficient to crack open the alien ruin?

The terms are used interchangeably on the wiki and by most players because they used to be the same unit, the Engineering Battalion, they were split in version 6.0. I don't think anyone has gone through the wiki to make clarifications since the split.

Construction Battalions have low combat ability but provide construction capability in the same way as a factory for use in the industry tab of the colony they are on. They are also used to open up ruins. Each unit is the size of a full battalion of other troops.

Combat Engineers have good combat ability and have their combat strength doubled when defending/assaulting a PDC.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
Another question: when my construction battalion opens the ruins and enemies come out, are they going to be "attacking" or "defending"?  In other words am I better off sending assault infantry or mobile infantry?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
Be careful here, if you are running v5.60, DO NOT ATTACK, or you will lose everything due to a bug.
Any other version, you can attack and defend.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
Be careful here, if you are running v5.60, DO NOT ATTACK, or you will lose everything due to a bug.
Any other version, you can attack and defend.
I have 6.2 (I think?).  So, I have a choice as to whether I attack or defend?  How does that work?  Is there a time delay before they will attack me or something?  Or is attacking/defending just a sort of "flag" in the program that the player can toggle at will?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
It is basically a flag.  They will randomly(?) attack you.  I haven't actually fought a ground battle yet.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »
For ruins I prefer a brigade HQ with 1 Mobile Infantry and 3 garrison battalions, as they have good defense but cost less.  I also organize my construction battalions into brigades with an HQ, 1 garrison battalion and three construction battalions.  Thus I have a lot of cheap but good defensive units and only a little offense.  I also use at least a garrison brigade for each colony world.

The number of troops required depends on the population of the planet and the number of construction battalions you have working the ruins.  Small populations are very vulnerable to even minor collateral damage.  I prefer to excavate all of the ruins prior to allowing a population, although if you find infrastructure, the civilians will beat a path to your door.   The more CB's you have working, the greater chance of finding multiple robotic assault battalions in a single turn, thus the need for additional offensive or defensive units.  A single replacement battalion has been adequate for all of my digs thus far, but the worst attack I have had was three at a time.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »

The general gist of ground unit detection is explained here.  It may have changed a bit since 3.2, but it is generally still applicable.

Offline Lothang

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
Quote from: joeclark77 link=topic=6239. msg63591#msg63591 date=1372098983
Another question: when my construction battalion opens the ruins and enemies come out, are they going to be "attacking" or "defending"?  In other words am I better off sending assault infantry or mobile infantry?

Your troops will be in defensive position.  With a strong defense, there is no problem.  But, if you have some assault infantry, you can attack too(via the ground force panel).  So enemies could be defeat quickly, just in case your construction brigades open another vault full of robotic guardians.