Author Topic: 403 Forbidden  (Read 11451 times)

Offline Zokk

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Gamer, game developer, and sci-fi enthusiast.
Re: 403 Forbidden
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:08:13 AM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=7958. msg82701#msg82701 date=1447554251
The wiki is currently offline.

Is there an ETA for when it'll be back up and running? I just started learning Aurora a few days ago, and I'm still mostly just fumbling around with it, even after looking up various tutorials online.
It takes a village to raise an idiot, but it only takes one idiot to raze a village.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
The wiki has been consuming a lot of resources on the host server. This leads them to throttle the entire domain.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
Is there an ETA for when it'll be back up and running? I just started learning Aurora a few days ago, and I'm still mostly just fumbling around with it, even after looking up various tutorials online.
All the information on the wiki can be found here, you just have to look for it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Wow! Am I glad I found this topic! I hadn't posted since 2013 and I was wondering if my 403 errors had something to do with my account. I just couldn't seem to start a new topic, no matter how many times I tried.

Now I just have to remember to always search my posts for from, like, and case and always put italics brackets around them.

I know the fix for this. It is basically disabling script security for the site. I'm debating on if that is good or no.
Log a bug with whoever designed the script security code?

Perhaps you could disable script security for the time being, report the bug to the forum software, and see how it goes until they have a fix?

...alternatively a hacky solution would be create some code which first intercepts known error creating statements and shoves them into italics. Then leave script security alone.

Sounds like it might work.

The wiki has been consuming a lot of resources on the host server. This leads them to throttle the entire domain.

Why? Was the wiki getting that much legitimate traffic? Were bots targeting it? Or, perhaps there's other wiki software that's not as resource intensive?

However, these days, spammers and spam-bots very frequently target wikis to insert their advertising junk. I know because I used to participate on the Dwarf Fortress wiki (and others) and some of the moderators there talked about it. I also saw it firsthand, with spam and junk added daily and new accounts created faster than they could delete them. Sometimes, wikis and forums have to disable account creation just to manage.

It's not enough, these days, for a wiki to just have a run-of-the-mill CAPTCHA. You need really good bot filtering, preferably in combo with a Q & A and account verification.

It's sad that the wiki had to be taken down. The biggest obstacle to getting into Aurora is the complexity. And a wiki would sure help with that. I wouldn't have even attempted to get into Dwarf Fortress if they didn't have a wiki.

Perhaps the wiki could be moved to a different location? Perhaps a free wiki host? Or maybe try scrapping the wiki membership and have much more strict bot checks and controls on registration? (Maybe ask prospective members why they want to join? Ask a question about Aurora?)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:47:36 AM by Thundercraft »
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
Why? Was the wiki getting that much legitimate traffic? Were bots targeting it? Or, perhaps there's other wiki software that's not as resource intensive?

However, these days, spammers and spam-bots very frequently target wikis to insert their advertising junk. I know because I used to participate on the Dwarf Fortress wiki (and others) and some of the moderators there talked about it. I also saw it firsthand, with spam and junk added daily and new accounts created faster than they could delete them. Sometimes, wikis and forums have to disable account creation just to manage.

It's not enough, these days, for a wiki to just have a run-of-the-mill CAPTCHA. You need really good bot filtering, preferably in combo with a Q & A and account verification.

It's sad that the wiki had to be taken down. The biggest obstacle to getting into Aurora is the complexity. And a wiki would sure help with that. I wouldn't have even attempted to get into Dwarf Fortress if they didn't have a wiki.

Perhaps the wiki could be moved to a different location? Perhaps a free wiki host? Or maybe try scrapping the wiki membership and have much more strict bot checks and controls on registration? (Maybe ask prospective members why they want to join? Ask a question about Aurora?)

The wiki has been on moderator account creation for a few years now. And only people with accounts can make changes. So it wasn't traffic to my knowledge.

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
I've found another thing that triggers the 403, any posts containing the following;
[any word] is [decimal number].
Example ;
"Euphrosyne is 0.0679"
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »
Test is 1.234

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Hmm. I implemented the suggested fix on the SMF forums, but that didn't seem to work

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Oddly enough it has to be under 1.
Word is 0.99 will fail.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:53 AM »
Why? Was the wiki getting that much legitimate traffic?

This site setting bars it from google grabby little crawlers, meaning that any person that googles anything about the game will never get any search results leading here, only the wiki. So in effect the wiki is the only source of info as far as the world google is concerned.

All the information on the wiki can be found here, you just have to look for it.

Easier said than done. Even if you know how to get the most of the abhorrent forum search function, you are still handicapped.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:18:26 AM by Mor »

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »
What specifically is wrong with the search function? I've had issues with finding things before but usually manage to find what I need, I can't think of anything specifically wrong with it though.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
The issue seems to be mod_security. I attempted to disable it for the Aurora forums, but that did not seem to work. At least some of the errors are still occurring.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 03:58:57 AM »
On the wiki, I no longer get this error, instead i get redirected to the main page.
Also, the site\wiki blasphemous term for today is "Description".

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
Just had this problem. Removed 0.49 from end of sentence (after narrowing it down) from whole update post :) and it started working.

After reading above, I changed the preceding text so it would read "reduced to 0.49", instead of "is 0.49" and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:54:09 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
What specifically is wrong with the search function? I've had issues with finding things before but usually manage to find what I need, I can't think of anything specifically wrong with it though.
Its  a pita to use,  the signal to noise ratio is poor unless you select the right subforums.  Wiki is far far easier to use.  Esp for new players.  Why is the wiki using so much data?