Author Topic: Nebula Fleets  (Read 3527 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
Nebula Fleets
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
In my current game, I have a nice 0.0 world in a class 6 nebula (top speed is about 415 km/s per armor level) a couple jumps from Sol, with decent minerals and other adjacent nebula systems.  I'm thinking of setting up a major base there, if for no other reason than to have a nice place to fall back if my other worlds are destroyed by the swarm or invaders, and for the interesting ship design challenge.  The constraints are many: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Nebulae.  I have forbidden myself from playing Aurora before the weekend (got some important work to do at the office), so while I'm pondering my designs, would any of you like to share your own nebula ship configurations?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Nebula Fleets
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I really haven't designed a specified nebula ship, but I would think that it would just be a high armor and thruster ships with the engines being a little more efficient than other military ships.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
I really haven't designed a specified nebula ship, but I would think that it would just be a high armor and thruster ships with the engines being a little more efficient than other military ships.
depending on tech level I often find that the armor is the limiter on ship speeds more than the engines.  I you want the ships to work outside of the nebula and keep up with other ships then you end up with your standard level of engines and efficiencies.  If not then a more efficient engine, or fewer engines can be a good choice.

I used to play a lot in nebula's and I ended up using a couple of types of combat ships.  As missiles and shields don't work in a nebula all long range combat is pretty much eliminated.  You need to do a lot of damage really quickly with beam weapons.  The weapons that I found worked best were railguns and mesons.  The mesons short range is normally irrelevant because of the nebula's effects on fire control.  Their ability to inflict internals immediately, and the high rate of fire with light mesons work really well.  Railguns on the other hand were heavy hitters to blast through thick armor.  Their high rate of fire was useful as well because of the nebula's side effect on accuracy.  In your nebula the range is 1/6 normal, so even point blank shots are going to have a fairly good chance of missing.  Example, at the 10,000 research point your beam fire control rating is 32,000km.  With a x4 range beam fire control in that level 6 nebula that means that 20,000km you only have about a 50% chance of hitting.  Almost any weapon you can have is going to be doing its max damage at that short of a range.  Assuming equal amount of tech in your weapons this translates to a max damage of:  Railguns 5(4 shots however), Lasers 10, Particle beams 5, Plasma Carronades 24(double recharge time however) and Mesons 1.  Railguns tend to do about twice the damage of the lasers, and equal damage to the carronades.  They hit more often however which tends to do more aggregate damage.  Carronades will however do more shock damage which may even things out somewhat.  Particle beams are a clear loser in a nebula as they are designed for longer range beam combat.  Mesons are the exception to the damage as their damage automatically bypasses armor.

Fighters and gunboats are also very hard to make work as they have to close to very short ranges, and normally putting enough armor on them to get them moving fast enough to survive is a real problem.  The best combat ships tend to be either just big enough for the engines/armor/weapons you want, or real monsters which can take advantage of the savings that big ships can give you in armor and the ability to put really big systems on the ship.  Big systems with lots of potential hits to kill (htk) are one way of reducing the effects of mesons and shock damage.  This works because a large system like a 50 hull space engine has a htk of 25.  Anything doing less than 25 points of damage in a single hit may not kill the system.  For a meson each individual shot is 1 point of damage and therefore only have a 4% chance of killing the engine each time it is hit.  What systems are hit is random, but based on the relative volume they take up.  You can see the relative amounts that a particular system takes up on the ship design screen (F5) component summary tab.  Design a couple of radically different sized but similar ships (beam destroyer vs. a battleship) to get a feel for what I am talking about.

One thing to remember to check is the ships operating speed.  If the ship can move faster than the nebula reduce the task force speed to match the nebula limit.  I used to notice this reduced the fuel use.  Once you are out of the nebula you will need to remember to change the task force speed however.  I haven't run into a nebula in a couple of versions so this may have changed.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Forgot to mention in my somewhat rambling discourse above that High Powered Microwave (hpm) are very effective weapons in a nebula as each shot that hits takes out one electronic system.  If you take a look at the damage allocation chart (which is what I should have been referring to instead of the component chart) you can see what will be effected.  This is on the DAC/Rank/Info tab.  Once a ship has no fire controls left it can not fire it's weapons leaving it easy to destroy at your leisure.

brian

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Forgot to mention in my somewhat rambling discourse above that High Powered Microwave (hpm) are very effective weapons in a nebula as each shot that hits takes out one electronic system.

I've never played with nebulas before. Do they change the way HPMs and electronic hardening work? Or is it just the nebula's effect on missiles and shields that makes the HPM a more attractive option?

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
I've never played with nebulas before. Do they change the way HPMs and electronic hardening work? Or is it just the nebula's effect on missiles and shields that makes the HPM a more attractive option?

I think he's referring to the fact that HPMs score their "hits" on a smaller subset of systems.  Where a meson beam might hit a fuel tank or something else that doesn't disable the enemy, a HPM always scores a hit on a sensor or fire control.  Therefore it's a much more reliable tool to disable an enemy ship's weapons.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »
I think he's referring to the fact that HPMs score their "hits" on a smaller subset of systems.  Where a meson beam might hit a fuel tank or something else that doesn't disable the enemy, a HPM always scores a hit on a sensor or fire control.  Therefore it's a much more reliable tool to disable an enemy ship's weapons.
That is correct.  In addition I have yet to see an electronic system that has a htk greater than 1.  The only protection available would be the sensor hardening.  The hardening is only available for the active and passive sensors which does include missile fire control.  Beam fire control can not be hardened, and tends to be a big chunk of what the hpm can hit (ecm, eccm, sensors, fire control).

Brian

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »
Ah, I didn't realize that beam fire controls couldn't be hardened. The tactic of blinding ships with HPM works (at least in theory) outside of nebulas as well, but if BFCs are simultaneously that glass jawed and that important in nebulas, then you really have a good point there.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Maybe a Heavy fighter armed with railguns could do the job, I was designing one anyway so here it is:

Krait class Heavy Fighter    485 tons     4 Crew     280.25 BP      TCS 9.7  TH 37.5  EM 0
5154 km/s     Armour 5-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 6
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 97%    IFR 1.3%    1YR 33    5YR 502    Max Repair 101 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 6   

50 EP Gas Core AM Drive (1)    Power 50    Fuel Use 24.75%    Signature 37.5    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 5 000 Litres    Range 7.5 billion km   (16 days at full power)

10cm Railgun V4/C6 (2x4)    Range 40 000km     TS: 15000 km/s     Power 3-6     RM 4    ROF 5        1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S00.4 90-7500 (FTR) (1)    Max Range: 180 000 km   TS: 30000 km/s     94 89 83 78 72 67 61 56 50 44
Gas-core Anti-matter Power Plant Technology PB-1-6 (2)     Total Power Output 12    Armour 0    Exp 5%

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Except it would need at least a dozen layers of armor to utilize its top speed.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »
Except it would need at least a dozen layers of armor to utilize its top speed.
Correct, which is one reason that fighters and gunboats are really hard to make work in a nebula.  Given the normal range restrictions it is something like  handing each side machineguns, blindfolds and letting them go at it.  If your hearing is better than your opponent you might have a better chance to start with, but the fight is going to get ugly.  With light units they can't use their traditional advantage of speed which makes them very vulnerable.

Brian