Author Topic: Am I doing diplomacy wrong?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Am I doing diplomacy wrong?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 10:05:10 AM »
Yeah, as far as I know, there is no record of what your diplomat is doing to them.

My situation is I have a diplo ship parked next to their diplo ship. Every 5 days I get an update about their diplomat increasing the rating, but that is MY attitude to THEM. The effects of my diplomat on their attitude are concealed.

Diplomacy is sort of one-sided. I can do diplomacy on you if I have a diplo ship in contact with you. That will raise your opnion of me, but I won't see any messages about it (unless you decide to set a treaty or something). Conversely if you have a diplo ship and I don't, I'll get messages about my opnion of you raising...but you won't see any such messages.

The following users thanked this post: Llamageddon

Offline replicant2699

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
Quote from: Llamageddon link=topic=11975. msg141924#msg141924 date=1603117898
I've got the same scenario: Their home system, their suggest leave system next to it, my colonised, suggest leave system next to that.  So far parking my diplomatic ship in their suggest leave system is gaining plenty of diplomatic rating and they seem content to tolerate it sitting there indefinitely.

A diplo ship that is 10kt or less should give no penalty to relations because 10kt is subtracted from diplomacy ships in the calculations, afaik.  So I assume this is how we are supposed to do it.

The following users thanked this post: Llamageddon

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 06:04:14 AM »
Hi guys, I have attached a screen of my situation.

I have just found my first NPR at all (first time in C as well in VB6), so I do not know very well what to do although I read the diplomacy part more and more times.

They are sitting just a jump point far from Sol, in Bernard star system, so the situation is quite critical although exciting.

I have a diplo ship which is classified as military, sitting in the jump point, the aliens have their diplo ship in the same location, the communication have been established, I know the name of their embassador and the relations are improving (108 at the moment).

Now, if I move to their system, they ask me to leave immediately or they will fire, but I do not want to get them upset, so I am staying on my side.

When Can I propose them commercial/alliance treaties? and how?

The other jump point to WISE got a red jump gate, what does that mean?

I know for sure that they are exploring WISE and the next system, what should I do? What are your advices to stay in peace (for the moment)?

Offline Aurex

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »
When Can I propose them commercial/alliance treaties? and how? The other jump point to WISE got a red jump gate, what does that mean? I know for sure that they are exploring WISE and the next system, what should I do? What are your advices to stay in peace (for the moment)?
Best way to keep improving relations (from both ends, since you can see how your empire feels towards them, but not the other way around - you could have 108 diplomacy rating with them but they might hate your guts) is to avoid systems they clearly tell you not to visit and to allow trade access whenever the option is available.   The diplomatic ship should also be used constantly, it nets good diplomatic rating from both sides - the fact they also use one suggests they aren't inherently hostile towards you.   Eventually it should be possible for them to send their civilian freighters to ship goods to and from your planets and viceversa - that would also improve their diplomatic rating towards you.   Having such a close neighbor is always dangerous though, even if they look friendly.   In your situation I'd design some jump point monitors - either ships or platforms you could move around with a tug - and park them on the jump point.   Just in case! Lost a very interesting game due to me having 200+ diplomacy rating with them and them not really reciprocating the sentiment and sending 20 missile ships to send Earth back to the stone age.  Also, the red jump gate (aka stabilized jump point) just means it was one of their ships that stabilized it and not one of yours.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:53:22 AM by Aurex »

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
You can judge their relationship to you based on how they react. If they offer a trade treaty, geo treaty etc., then things are going well. If they start shooting, then they don't like you. If their warnings start becoming harsher then either the relationship is deteriorating or you are somewhere they really don't want you to be. Otherwise, its a grey area in the middle where you should proceed cautiously.

Don't overthink it in terms of 'rules'. Look at how they are reacting to you.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser, Llamageddon

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
If they start shooting, then they don't like you.

Nah I don't think that's right Steve

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 12:20:14 PM »
If they start shooting, then they don't like you.

Nah I don't think that's right Steve

Yeah! Some species metabolize radiation! In their cultures, a saturation nuclear bombardment is the equivalent of a "welcome to the neighborhood" cake!