Author Topic: Possible game tweaks for Newtonian games  (Read 16392 times)

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Possible game tweaks for Newtonian games
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
I also should look at predicting the future position of a planet and heading there instead, although this is tricky due to the ship having to accel and decel and not knowing for how long it might coast. I'll attempt this at some point though.

Steve

My friend and I had fun thinking about this. We keep bumping into the fact that we just need to sit down and learn calculus.

wilddog5

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »

Im having a bit of a problem with running out of fuel from a gameplay perspective i standard aurora you run out of fuel the ships stop, in newton they carry on going and im ok with this mostly, my main concern is how to refuel a ship that is far away from any potential tankers and drift off into deap space (and the bad movies that this would produce), so i was thinking ( ::)) hydrogen capture field this would give a small amount of acceleration of say 0.01m/s this being enough to stop a ship and possibly get it home after a few decades / centures but not enough for exploitation after all what capitain in there right mind would set sail if they could be stranded like that... (and be a character in those films)

This is probably more of a suggestion than a tweek but there is not a section for those yet

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
Sit down and learn calculus!
Though you could just learn programming, and create a formula that calculates the appropriate hit of two curves, being the planet and the ship.

@ Steve: It still should be an update once per day for colonized planets, because otherwise ships might find themselves in a position where they either try to go where the planet was 2 days ago, and miss it, or go where it's supposed to be, and wait there for 2 days.^^
Aside, in the case of traveling to a close moon, teleporting the ships with it might be a valid option, but what if those ships are shot at?
Do you teleport the missiles as well?
And any support fleets behind the planet, so they don't suddenly get in range to blast away those missiles?  :o

wilddog5

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
for the planet interception you could calc the course to the planet sim the planets movement then recalc the course, loop this function untill the last 3-5 cources are all within a set margin or error (distance to planet less than 1% of travel distance or 1 hour increment whichever less (or some other value that can be set on gamestart so people can talor it to their PC)) and set the ship for that point, while this might be time consuming for the first increment it only has to be done once for each ship in the system as long as no changes are made, once the ship arives it repeats untill it gets to the planet and is explanied by the pilot as rounding errors (i dont think even a computer can set a ship on a directional vector to 20 decimal places)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
Im having a bit of a problem with running out of fuel from a gameplay perspective i standard aurora you run out of fuel the ships stop, in newton they carry on going and im ok with this mostly, my main concern is how to refuel a ship that is far away from any potential tankers and drift off into deap space (and the bad movies that this would produce), so i was thinking ( ::)) hydrogen capture field this would give a small amount of acceleration of say 0.01m/s this being enough to stop a ship and possibly get it home after a few decades / centures but not enough for exploitation after all what capitain in there right mind would set sail if they could be stranded like that... (and be a character in those films)

This is probably more of a suggestion than a tweek but there is not a section for those yet

If you aren't careful, ships will run out of fuel and head into deep space as you mentioned. I think this is a case of being careful in the first place :). Newtonian Aurora is going to need more micromanagement than Aurora but unfortunately that is just the nature of the beast. This is why original Aurora wasn't Newtonian. I think the best I can do is warn players if a ship is reaching a point where its fuel will be insufficient to slow down (in the same way as the current almost out of fuel messages)

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 03:18:22 AM »
So then you need a conditional order that checks if you'd still have over (specified) amount of fuel after coming to a stop if not aligned towards a system with a colony that has fuel.^^

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
I imagine ripped out hair, crushed monitors and frienldy men offering jackets that are being closed on the back for quite a few of us, a couple of weeks after Steve releases Newtonian Aurora.

;D    ;D    ;D
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:07 AM »
I imagine ripped out hair, crushed monitors and frienldy men offering jackets that are being closed on the back for quite a few of us, a couple of weeks after Steve releases Newtonian Aurora.

;D    ;D    ;D

Your assuming my wife and children don't kill me off first...   ;)
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 03:22:21 AM »
Maybe you can play safely 8) in the insane Asylum.

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 03:58:28 AM »
Maybe you can play safely 8) in the insane Asylum.

I'm worried that typing in the required 'fashion statement' will be difficult.
 ::)
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 04:49:44 AM »
Nah, you'll voice control.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
Another question, would it be possible to have sub turns based on system?
Like a time bubble, but automatically; if there's a battle in one system lasting three days, I'd be nice if it didn't calculate anything but that system and fleets inbound to that system, count the time, and then ramp up the rest of the universe once a normal increment, whether that'd be 1, 5, or 30 days.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:27 AM »
Why not increment the movement of any system body that is a destination just before incrementing the movement of a ship headed there.  That way colonies with no ships headed to them won't slow the calculations and you don't have unpopulated worlds teleporting.

One issue is that then you have to track which planets incremented in that 5 day period so you don't "double move" them.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the various suggestions on shipyards. I don't think I like my original idea any more :)

I like the suggestions of having shipyard components and allowing disassembly/re-assembly and transportation of the components. I think I will probably go for three component types. The Shipyard Hub Module, the Slipway Module and the Shipyard Capacity Module. Construction factories would produce the modules and they would be assembled/disassembled by construction factories or engineers or perhaps some new ship-based mobile construction module. A basic single slipway shipyard with a 1000 ton capacity would consist of one of each module. Each additional Capacity module would add 1000 tons of capacity. Each additional slipway module would sub-divide the overall capacity. In effect, the slipway modules are a way to wall off different sections of the shipyard to build a larger number of smaller ships.

For example, you assemble a shipyard with a hub module, two slipway modules and twelve capacity modules. This is a 6000 ton capacity shipyard with two slipways. If you add an additional slipway module, it becomes a 4000 ton capacity shipyard with three slipways. Removing slipway modules will also be possible, in order to open up the shipyard to accomodate larger vessels. Reconfiguration of the shipyard will only be possible when it is empty and adding/removing slipways or removing capacity would remove any tooling.

With regard to Military vs Commercial, one option is to replicate the three modules for military and commercial. Another option, but I am not sure if it will pass the giggle test, is to allow assembly of shipyards in either Military Configuration or Commercial Configuration. The difference would be that the Military Configuration is a more compact layout used for detailed and complex work while the Commercial Configuration has the capacity modules further apart and configured for bulk construction of less complex systems. A shipyard could also be reconfigured between military/commercial for a cost close to that of disassembly and re-assembly.

Steve

Steve,

Just curious if this made it into 5.7 also?

Thanks

-Five