Author Topic: Terraforming niche suggestion  (Read 1465 times)

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
Terraforming niche suggestion
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:20 AM »
After doing some science study it has occoured to me that with methane ch4 that in a oxidation and sunlight environment that after 10 years it breaks down naturally to carbon dioxide + to that methan is 30 times stronger as a greenhouse gas than c02, with terraforming perhaps as a factor of cost 8 times higher or rates 4 times slower than co2 into the atmosphere but it would be 8 times as potent and any other factors could the terraforming factor be tweaked slightly my suggestion would be if oxygen concentrations are higher than 0.3 atmospheres and 15-20% + that methan would be broken down over time into carbon dioxide from what ive read 10% will remain in any atmosphere.

Something to consider anyway for aurora

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: Terraforming niche suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
I have noticed when I made a methane-breathing alien species that a great challenge to terraforming worlds is the fact that adding methane greatly increases the temperature. Meaning that some 2.00 worlds can never be successfully terraformed down to zero.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:01:51 AM »
maybe youre methane breathing life is living in "heat" and not as cold as you made them ;)

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
Nothing wrong with .1 atmosphere of methane that .1 atmosphere of anti-GHG won't solve for you.

Incidentally, this ties into a suggestion I have for terraforming: Instead of the formula for greenhouse factor being min(GHG + 0.1*Other - aGHG, 3) I'd make it max(min((GHG + 0.1*Other)/aGHG, 3), 0.3).

That way, raising and lowering temperatures would be roughly equally challenging. Instead of the current situation where it takes three atmospheres to terraform Titan into something resembling habitability, but only one to terraform Mercury, despite Mercury being off the sweet spot by a much larger factor.