Author Topic: Alert user of next steps when creating new technology design  (Read 1655 times)

Offline devhyfes (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
When I design a new tech, such as a new engine or weapon, and click "create", I get no feedback.  As an inexperienced user, this leads me to believe that my click didn't register or that there is a bug. 

A better behavior would be: User clicks the create button, and upon DB insert of the new project, an alert appears with text such as "Design Created! Before this design can be produced, it must be researched at a lab. "

An even better behavior would be to help new users understand where to look for the technology.  "A new research project for this design has been created under <tech tree area>.  Before it can be produced, it must be researched at a lab. "

This would prompt me to immediately go to that tab. 

Also, I don't believe it auto-refreshes the list of available projects to show this new design. . . if not, this would be nice. 

I know it isn't a huge change/issue, but it would have saved me an hour or so of troubleshooting. 

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Alert user of next steps when creating new technology design
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »
This sounds like a great idea.  Unfortunately, it's likely to get lost in the noise since it was not posted in the "official" thread (since that's the thread Steve uses as a filing cabinet after reading the initial post).  Please read the "Where should I post?" FAQ for more details.

Welcome!
John

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
maybe it would be better to play just some sound?
then you dont need to close some window, which is helpfull for the beginners, but just in the way for the veterans

Offline devhyfes (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
Thank you sloan, noted and posted. 

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »
theres a new 6.x thread for suggestions get it in there before borders swamp it

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Lol, thanks ollobrains

What the platform needs is for some enterprising people to write a few updated new player guides.  There are so many requested updates that something of this scale is likely to be overlooked and it can easily be worked around by the community members if we would collaborate on some new wiki articles.

Offline Execrated1

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
I've been working on a game manual that I'm planning to also use to update the wiki. It's not the easiest project I've undertaken as the complexity of the games mechanics and the plethora of game windows is daunting, but it is going along. Currently I'm working on game creation, since that seems the most important part for new players. The quick start guide is ok, but it tells you to turn off options because they might make things a bit confusing, and then never tells you how they actually work. If anybody wants to contribute I'd be happy to accept the help. You can e-mail me at the address in my profile. The biggest thing is that I don't think we should piece together sections or wiki pages, I want to have them completed before we change the wiki. That way things are well organized and easy to read and comprehend.