Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38385 times)

Offline Roblakov

• Petty Officer
  • R
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
Civilian question here.  I keep getting my game stopped every couple of days due to:

"*insert civilian freighter here* was unable to load infrastructure from Earth as nothing was available for pickup"

How do I get this to stop? I don't have any sort of demand/supply orders initiated. 

Offline MrHuman

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2020, 06:23:38 PM »
How can I tell if my ships are actually firing at missiles? I have my fleet set up for Area Point Defence, but it looks like they don't fire at the missiles until just before they hit.  They are in range for 2-3 5 second ticks.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
Tell the FC to open fire. Only Final Fire is shot if your Fleet wasn't told to open fire.

The following users thanked this post: MrHuman

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
I may be loosing my mind but I can't find the list of classes that can be built in the same shipyard in C#.

If I'm reading the changes post correctly the refit cost must be within 20% and the size must be within 20% to be eligible. 

Is there anywhere to see this in the UI or do we need to guesstimate? 

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2020, 08:38:21 PM »
How can I tell if my ships are actually firing at missiles? I have my fleet set up for Area Point Defence, but it looks like they don't fire at the missiles until just before they hit.  They are in range for 2-3 5 second ticks.

I don't think area defense works.

Offline Hastermain

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2020, 02:12:27 AM »
Hey everyone,

How to use SM mode to check what NPR races are doing/delete ships? I'm getting infinite "object reference not set to an instance of an object" errors, as well as a white Events screen, and I want to try and remove the cause by myself but can't figure out where to look at those objects/see systems, even with SM mode (lightbulb) on.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:22 AM »
SM mode doesn't let you see what the NPRs are doing.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Mark Yanning

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2020, 03:09:05 AM »
A question about Lagrange Points: I have on in my system LP1 (jupiter). I guess it leads to jupiter, but in the order fleet movement, it seems I can't use it. If I click on it, I don't see any destinations, and I got the message "please select the target of the order". Any clue? Thanks, I'm quite new but I'm really enjoying this masterpiece :)

Offline Hastermain

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2020, 03:18:28 AM »
SM mode doesn't let you see what the NPRs are doing.

Thanks for the reply! Is there anyway to figure out what's causing the 5 second increments and/or the events white screen?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2020, 03:21:56 AM »
A question about Lagrange Points: I have on in my system LP1 (jupiter). I guess it leads to jupiter, but in the order fleet movement, it seems I can't use it. If I click on it, I don't see any destinations, and I got the message "please select the target of the order". Any clue? Thanks, I'm quite new but I'm really enjoying this masterpiece :)

Lagrange Points allow you to travel between them in the same system. The reason for the error is likely that there is only one LP in Sol at the start, but you can use construction ships to generate more, if the conditions are right for it.

Offline Mark Yanning

• M
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2020, 03:29:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for the quick answer, I'll try to do it then. I have a quick question about fighters: considering in this game you can just do everything, I was thinking: is it possible to train grade of fighters making fight them each other, a way to test them in battles and train pilots (taking the risk to lose them of course). I was just wondering if this is somehow possible.  ;)

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2020, 03:40:46 AM »
Thanks a lot for the quick answer, I'll try to do it then. I have a quick question about fighters: considering in this game you can just do everything, I was thinking: is it possible to train grade of fighters making fight them each other, a way to test them in battles and train pilots (taking the risk to lose them of course). I was just wondering if this is somehow possible.  ;)

You can't really make mock battles between yourself, although it would be cool :) This is kind of simulated by placing a fleet under a training admin command, which improves the ship in the fleet. If you want to practice battles, you would have to create a new game with several human player races and fight yourself. This can be quite fun.

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »

Using SM, you could make another player race, just with no population: call it 'RedFor' or whatever you like. Then transfer the fighters (or any other ships you want to "wargame") over to RedFor's control. I believe there is an option to include a ship's officers with it when it is transferred, if not you'll need to transfer the officers you want to use too.

Set them and your empire to hostile to each other and voila! Now you're ready to do an orbital version of 'Fleet Problems'. You'll have control over both sides and you can fight it out. You may need to get creative when it comes to resupplying RedFor if it's a multi-day exercise. You could transfer full tankers, colliers, and supply ships to their command to do this.

To keep the leathality down, you could consider making training missiles that only do a single point of damage and ruling that any ship hit by one is "dead" and get's transferred to a neutral side. I think 0 damage missiles might work as well but I can see that being the kind of thing that'll throw an error (anyone know?). Bare in mind that damage to the internals usually causes casualties so whether your race does live fire training exercises probably depends on the society your roleplaying.

Edit: I personally wouldn't do this unless I had a in-universe canon reason to do it, since it's a lot of effort for not a lot of payoff. For example, I believe one of Steve's multifaction AARs had the Europeans and Americans do a joint exercise to simulate an invasion of Jupiter and its moons in response to perceived Russian or Chinese aggression.

Edit 2: I was playing around and couldn't see a SM function to transfer ship so this won't work in the current version of C# (1.51) unless I'm being blind.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:33:31 AM by YABG »

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2020, 03:53:21 AM »
To keep the leathality down, you could consider making training missiles that only do a single point of damage and ruling that any ship hit by one is "dead" and get's transferred to a neutral side. I think 0 damage missiles might work as well but I can see that being the kind of thing that'll throw an error (anyone know?).

I think that could actually work. In VB6 I had a missile that carried three smaller missiles to be released at close range. The main missile itself dealt no damage (it was only an engine), and I expected it to be destroyed by AMM's, but occasionally it would still hit if they were out of AMM's.

Offline Mark Yanning

• M
« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2020, 04:19:22 AM »
Thanks, I'm gonna try. But It seems I can't find a way to transfer ships with Space Master mode  :o. Can you suggest me how to make it? Thanks

Using SM, you could make another player race, just with no population: call it 'RedFor' or whatever you like. Then transfer the fighters (or any other ships you want to "wargame") over to RedFor's control. I believe there is an option to include a ship's officers with it when it is transferred, if not you'll need to transfer the officers you want to use too.

Set them and your empire to hostile to each other and voila! Now you're ready to do an orbital version of 'Fleet Problems'. You'll have control over both sides and you can fight it out. You may need to get creative when it comes to resupplying RedFor if it's a multi-day exercise. You could transfer full tankers, colliers, and supply ships to their command to do this.

To keep the leathality down, you could consider making training missiles that only do a single point of damage and ruling that any ship hit by one is "dead" and get's transferred to a neutral side. I think 0 damage missiles might work as well but I can see that being the kind of thing that'll throw an error (anyone know?). Bare in mind that damage to the internals usually causes casualties so whether your race does live fire training exercises probably depends on the society your roleplaying.

Edit: I personally wouldn't do this unless I had a in-universe canon reason to do it, since it's a lot of effort for not a lot of payoff. For example, I believe one of Steve's multifaction AARs had the Europeans and Americans do a joint exercise to simulate an invasion of Jupiter and its moons in response to perceived Russian or Chinese aggression.