Author Topic: Using Real Stars/Systems  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Using Real Stars/Systems
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »

A system has been discovered in which a planet orbits around two suns, which orbit around each other.

Link?

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
Exoplanet Encyclopedia entry (the main page still has it listed in Latest News as the first transiting circumbinary planet)

Here's the Wikipedia page on the system

Here's a Wikipedia also a Wikipedia page that says there are several older confirmed ones, presumably by methods other than transiting.

Here's an article from Sky & Telescope about the Kepler-16 planet.

I remember reading about this back in September and getting pretty excited; it's not exactly Tatooine  or anything, but still pretty neat. (it's Saturn-esque, if I remember correctly)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
I have considered adding exoplanets to real stars. The issue is that the system generation is so complex, it would be difficult to intervene in the correct place . I will definitely look at this at some point though, as well as updating the Sol system to use the new dwarf planet definition and add Eris, Sedna, etc.

Steve
Ceres? :X

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
Ceres is one of the dwarfplanets in our solarsystem as well as the roman Goddes of agriculture. The gravity of 0.028G is pretty weak but strong enough to keep you on the object if you leap into the air.

For sol exist 5 dwarfplanets namely: Pluto, Ceres, Eris (1 Moon) which was formaly know as Xena, Haumea(2 moons) and Makemake. Furthermore exist 4 ""nearly certain" dwarf planets which are Orcus (1 moon), Quaoar(1 moon), 2007 OR10 (nicknamed at first "Snow white" later 7th Dwarf because its a actually rather red) and Sedna.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:33:00 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t