Author Topic: Engineers Name Change and New Ground Unit  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Engineers Name Change and New Ground Unit
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
This is a cross-post from Suggestions just to make sure players can easily find the change if they are looking after v5.70 comes out.

The existing Engineer Regiment is now the Construction Brigade. Apart from the name change, everything is the same as before.

There is now a new Combat Engineer battalion, which has the same combat strength and cost as a Marine Battalion. Instead of the marine bonus for fighting on ships, it has double strength when attacking or defending a PDC.

I've also corrected the bug of starting races having access to TN ground forces they have yet to research.

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Engineers Name Change and New Ground Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Nice!

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
any chance of some new ground units ?
Maybe Light Infantry or Super Heavy Armour (Battlemechs/OGRES) ???
Move foward and draw fire

Offline DFDelta

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »
Very nice change, I like it.
But there is one thing that I think needs attention.

I'm doing it from memory, so please excuse inaccuracies, but with those stats the CEB (I'll just call them that in short) will have 200 atk and 200 def whenever PDCs are involved, for a meager 180 training points. Doesn't this render most other troop types obsolete, especially when defending?
I usually have at least one division worth of ground troops in PDCs on every population center, and with this change I'd load it up with nothing but CEBs (plus their headquarters, of course), which seems strange to me.

I think a change to something like 90 atk 90 def would be better, and instead of doubling their own strength make them give a non-stackable bonus to every other unit stationed in the same PDC / to every other unit attacking the same PDC.

That way you'd rather fill your brigade sized PDC barracks with 1xBHQ, 1xCEB and 3 other units, instead of 1xBHQ and 4xCEB.

any chance of some new ground units ?
Maybe Light Infantry or Super Heavy Armour (Battlemechs/OGRES) ???

Something I'd like to add to this, because that occurred to me before and it seems fitting here.
How about hindring ground troops if they are fighting in an environment that is hostile to your race. (the higher the colony cost on a surface would be for your race, the less able your troops are to fight in that environment) Worst case, for a world that is deemed unfitting and/or has a cost over 10 your troops are reduced to 20% of their abilities.

Introducing XET, Xeno Environment Troops (size 5, 50 atk, 100 def and  120 training points), basically a normal INF that is trained and outfitted to deal with those worlds. Marines are also fine in such situations (being trained for space combat, which usually is a very hostile environment  :P), but more expensive.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:52:15 AM by DFDelta »
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
Did you ever fix the bug where conventional ground forces could not be built?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
How about hindring ground troops if they are fighting in an environment that is hostile to your race. (the higher the colony cost on a surface would be for your race, the less able your troops are to fight in that environment) Worst case, for a world that is deemed unfitting and/or has a cost over 10 your troops are reduced to 20% of their abilities.
Aurora military units are generally assumed to be power armor or equivalent technology.  I guess conventional units could or should suffer penalties in hostile environments, but it's already staggeringly difficult and largely pointless to mount any kind of assault with a conventional military.

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:06 AM »
Aurora military units are generally assumed to be power armor or equivalent technology.  I guess conventional units could or should suffer penalties in hostile environments, but it's already staggeringly difficult and largely pointless to mount any kind of assault with a conventional military.

If you are fighting in a hostile enviroment and your "Power Armour" gets holed then your good as dead... it will be like fighting in a vaccum.
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »
It wouldn't be too hard to make the assumption that any weapon powerful enough to hole power armor will probably kill you anyway though.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
Did you ever fix the bug where conventional ground forces could not be built?

I second this request, it's what's prevented me from moving my planned story to a newer build of Aurora, since it starts with all factions at a conventional technology start and that would stay true through what could be several wars.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
I'm a bit biased on this change. The ground combat in aurora feels a bit makeshift as it is, and I don't think an additional unit is what the whole thing needs the most. I welcome the differentiation between combat engineers and construction brigades, but the construction brigade doesn't really do the whole xeno thing for me (although this is merely in the name, with the complexity in aurora it might be good to reflect the xeno job of the consturction brigade in its name).