Author Topic: Minor Changes for v5.70  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Minor Changes for v5.70
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
I'll use this thread to post minor updates for v5.70 that don't merit their own thread.

If one construction project ends and a new is moved from the production queue, that now generates an event.

If you encounter an alien race that has the same homeworld, you automatically know the Race name and how to communicate. This saves a lot of messing around in the Alien Race window for multi-Earth starts

The SM can now set a fixed relationship toward an alien race using a new checkbox on the Alien Race window. If he sets this checkbox, the relationship will not change during the normal 5-day cycle. This is a way to prevent political status changes during a multi-Earth start, if desired.

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Minor Changes for v5.70
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Ah, thanks, these are really helpful for my current game.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Cross-post from Suggestions

I have added a new "Load/Unload Minerals to Reserve Level" order. This will first attempt to unload every mineral type but only up to the colony reserve level for that mineral and then attempt to load every mineral type above the reserve level. If there is no loading or unloading at the destination, the fleet will move on to the next order.

I've also added a "Load/Unload Fuel (To Set Level)" order. You specify a reserve fuel level as part of the order. The fleet's tankers will either unload fuel to bring the colony up to the reserve level or attempt to load excess fuel above that level.

Finally, I've added a "Load/Unload Supplies (To Set Level)" order. You specify a reserve maintenance supply level as part of the order. The fleet's supply ships will either unload supplies to bring the colony up to the reserve level or attempt to load excess supplies above that level.

All of the above are intended to aid in automating your Empire-wide logistics network

Steve

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Thanks, Steve, those will be quite useful.  Thank you, as well, for all the other changes coming up!

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »

I have added a new "Load/Unload Minerals to Reserve Level" order. This will first attempt to unload every mineral type but only up to the colony reserve level for that mineral and then attempt to load every mineral type above the reserve level. If there is no loading or unloading at the destination, the fleet will move on to the next order.

I've also added a "Load/Unload Fuel (To Set Level)" order. You specify a reserve fuel level as part of the order. The fleet's tankers will either unload fuel to bring the colony up to the reserve level or attempt to load excess fuel above that level.

Finally, I've added a "Load/Unload Supplies (To Set Level)" order. You specify a reserve maintenance supply level as part of the order. The fleet's supply ships will either unload supplies to bring the colony up to the reserve level or attempt to load excess supplies above that level.

All of the above are intended to aid in automating your Empire-wide logistics network

Steve

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That makes things A LOT simpler from a logistics standpoint! :)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
Would it be possible to get a function to print race-specific event logs? I'm running a community game with 11 factions, all managed by different players and it would easy up my workload immensely if, at the end of the year, I could just push one button and Aurora would spit out "AU.txt", "Brazil.txt", "China.txt" and so on which I could then just send to players.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »
Steve,

Just curious if you were also going to change shipyards also? I remember it being mentioned ither in the A2 or NA thread, about them being built in componets...hub, slip, and i think some partion or something. Just curious.

Five

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:06 AM »

Steve

Ooo just realized

what happens if no reserve level is set? does it load that mineral, or ignore it?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Ooo just realized

what happens if no reserve level is set? does it load that mineral, or ignore it?

If you haven't set it, the reserve level is zero.

Steve

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
Steve,

I was thinking you may want to start a thread called "Major Changes for v5.70" ;D

Adam.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Steve,

I was thinking you may want to start a thread called "Major Changes for v5.70" ;D

Adam.

Yes, it is getting that way. What started off as mainly a solar system update I intended to handle over Easter is becoming a little larger :)

Steve
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:51:56 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »
I'd like to add to the chorus of all these fantastic changes.

Speaking of the Easter update, any ballpark estimates for how much longer you'll take on 5.70? I was about to start a big fiction-heavy campaign when I heard 'this weekend' and figured I'd wait 'til that was out. Given all the shiny new toys I'm definitely saving that campaign for 5.70, but I'm considering starting a 5.60 game in the meantime and I'm curious if I should expect that to last days, weeks, or indefinitely.  :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
I'd like to add to the chorus of all these fantastic changes.

Speaking of the Easter update, any ballpark estimates for how much longer you'll take on 5.70? I was about to start a big fiction-heavy campaign when I heard 'this weekend' and figured I'd wait 'til that was out. Given all the shiny new toys I'm definitely saving that campaign for 5.70, but I'm considering starting a 5.60 game in the meantime and I'm curious if I should expect that to last days, weeks, or indefinitely.  :)

I'll be making some changes to crew quarters and adding something along the lines of morale or fatigue when ships are deployed longer than their accomodations warrant. I haven't pinned down the mechanics yet. I'll also be looking to add mechanics for undermanning and for a ship being abandoned if all the crew are killed (as suggested in the thread about "better wrecks").

Finally, I wouldn't mind adding civilian fuel harvesters, so civilians would establish harvesting outposts at likely gas giants and you can buy fuel from the civilian sector, or tax them for selling it. Maybe even tie that into the civilian harvesters supplying the fuel for the civilian freighters and colony ships.

Plus some stuff I am sure will occur to me while handling the above :), plus some testing.

It will depend on how much free time I have over the next few weeks, which includes moving house in about a month (although perhaps I could ask my wife to handle that without me :)). So you probably have time for a v5.60 game that will last a few weeks. My estimates are historically not very accurate though which is why I tried to avoid making them :)

Steve

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
Civilian fuel harvesters AND a market to buy/sell from? Yes! I'll just start up another 5. 60 game here for the meantime. . .

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
Maybe we'll get those improved civies we've always wanted and you've always hinted at? :)