Author Topic: How is the "Starting Race" option supposed to work?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
How is the "Starting Race" option supposed to work?
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:11:16 AM »
I want to try a game not playing as humans and not starting in the sol system, so on the Create New Game screen I'm checking the "Create Spacemaster Empire so you can create your own starting system and race" option.  But I can't figure out what to do once the universe is generated. 

Do I just need to go to the F9 screen and keep generating systems until I find a planet which i can create my HW on?  Or is there a better way to do this?

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: How is the "Starting Race" option supposed to work?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »
You'll have to keep generating new systems - depending on what kind of race you want to play, this may take a while until a suitable system and planet show up.

What you should keep in mind is that you can create a colony on the planet (for the spacemaster race) and terraform it to your designs - so gases are no reason for a planet to be unsuitable. What can't be changed is its gravity, and the homeworld's gravity will be the default for the generated race (although this can still be changed someplace else).
You can (and probably, should) either push the button 'HW Minerals' or 'Specify Minerals' button in F9, too. The first will change the body's minerals to starting deposits, the latter lets you specify any resources.

Once you've created a system and suitable planet, just click the 'Create Empire' button, make sure the 'is NPR' checkbox is unchecked and the rest is pretty straight forward.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
One thing to note, in previous versions when you created an empire on a planet it automatically redid the mineral levels to the homeworld setting.  The only way to avoid this if you want to tailor the minerals is to have a colony on the planet from the sm race, or just go in afterwards and alter the minerals.  Just remember to check.  I havn't dealt with this as a problem for some time so it may have been changed, but I doubt it has.

Brian

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
The "Create a custom race" page on the wiki has a solid tutorial for this start. 

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
I've been trying to play around with this, but I totally don't understand it.   

I don't see anywhere on the F9 screen to generate a new system.   A bunch of options for whatever existing system is loaded, but whether it's with a new game or a loaded one, same thing.   What exactly do you have to do to create a new system?

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
Turn SM mode on first.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
I've been trying to play around with this, but I totally don't understand it.   

I don't see anywhere on the F9 screen to generate a new system.   A bunch of options for whatever existing system is loaded, but whether it's with a new game or a loaded one, same thing.   What exactly do you have to do to create a new system?

Make sure you are in SM mode (ctrl-S), then go to the F9 screen. In the lower right corner you should see a number of buttons. Top of the second column is Create System.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »
thanks, I thought i had tried turning SM on a few times -- guess I didn't.   

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
The pages do not refresh with the SM options when you enable or disable SM mode.  You need to close and reopen the window to see/hide the buttons.