Author Topic: System Questions  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
System Questions
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »
Lately I was doing some Survey work and ran into a Few systems that Has Multiple Stars But No Planets. Yes i know that it is Possible But in 2 of them they were Multi Star systems with No Planets.
I would think that if a System had enough Mass to form another star that there would be some Planets or Ats?
Also At one time I thought there were a Way to Make Twin Planets. is that Still Possible?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:59:44 AM by Tor Cha »

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: System Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
I would think multi-star systems would be LESS likely to have planets.  They'd have a wider Roche limit and the erratic tidal forces would prevent material from clumping up to form planets.

I would think twin planets would be possible in-game, but one will still be designated a moon.  They also won't orbit their common center of mass, one will orbit the other.  Aurora doesn't do Newtonian gravity at all.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
I would think twin planets would be possible in-game, but one will still be designated a moon.  They also won't orbit their common center of mass, one will orbit the other.  Aurora doesn't do Newtonian gravity at all.

That's correct.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
I would think that the transnewtonian physics that allowed for jump points around a star would also allow for jump points around each star of a multi-star system.  Maybe C# will allow this in later versions. ;)

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »
It does in VB6 already.  Not every system has them, but a lot do.