Author Topic: long deployment exploration ship design  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Jonathan.Joestar (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
long deployment exploration ship design
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
So here is my exploration ship design in my new game. Autonomous for several and long years and for deep exploration like 10 system from homesystem and further if I have a colony closer

Code: [Select]
Vibre class Exploration Ship    6 000 tons     155 Crew     879.5 BP      TCS 120  TH 500  EM 0
4166 km/s    JR 3-250     Armour 1-29     Shields 0-0     Sensors 56/1/1/1     Damage Control Rating 39     PPV 0
Maint Life 7.59 Years     MSP 825    AFR 31%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 25    5YR 378    Max Repair 125 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 52 months    Spare Berths 0   

C J6000(3-250) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 6000 tons    Distance 250k km     Squadron Size 3
Peters Foundation 500 EP Commercial Internal Fusion Drive (1)    Power 500    Fuel Use 2.65%    Signature 500    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250 000 Litres    Range 283.0 billion km   (786 days at full power)

AM CIWS-250 (1x10)    Range 1000 km     TS: 25000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
EX Thermal Sensor TH4-56 (30%) (1)     Sensitivity 56     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  56m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

EDIT : and i don't research the advanced geological and gravitational survey sensors because It is not worth it certainly it accelerates the operation but it increases the price of the ships just for a little more time, then no its stupid
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:10:59 AM by Jonathan.Joestar »

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
Re: long deployment exploration ship design
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
You have a commercial engine, so you could use a commercial jumpdrive.  My standard geosurvey ship would have a 50HS commercial engine with .3 efficiency or so, and a commercial jumpdrive, and get something like a trillion kilometers and ten years on a tank of fuel.  A little bit slower than yours, but much more range and no need for maintenance.  The gravsurvey version would require more engineering spaces because it was classed as military, but would still have quite a lot of longevity.  Think about it...

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »
with exploration ships, every extraneous system really hurts you, since it both increases your required payload capacity and reduces the space available for engineering spaces and crew quarters.

your vessel looks fairly capable as long as it has fueling support nearby, but it probably requires more micro than it could.  I suspect you are using Damage Control systems from your DCR; i would suggest dropping them in favor of more fuel or possibly increased sensor capacity.  Damage control will make little difference in the survivabilty of your ship. The TH signature is also pretty high, unfortunately- reduced-signature drives are expensive research and maintenance wise, but they have an enormous impact on the ability of tracking stations and motherships to detect scout vessels. 

IMO Commercial jump engines aren't typically worth it on a military vessel. They do require more maintenance and crew, but they give you more than enough additional space to make up for it. I usually only mount commercial engines on shared-platform ships trying to keep costs down, or on large vessels where a military drive has enormous actual and particularly RP costs.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:58:12 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
4166km/s is quite slow so more slower , no i can't. And your right damage control don't gonna save my ship , he would die only whith 3 missiles Aldebaran(one of the missiles i designed) , i take the military jump engine because its save space and need less maintenance and crews on military designed ship ^^.
And to this result "786 days at full power" with 0.50x (the higher commercial engine can go)  i research the fuel consumption to "0.1 litres per engine power hour" so the max  , and that take me 130 years to finish it x) but its worth it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:17:10 PM by Jonathan.Joestar »

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:19:53 AM »
The ratio of ship/survey sensor is a bit high.  I am not sure what the best ratio of survey ship travelling to survey ship surveying should be, but I think you want them close to even.

So the same survey ship, but with 2 geosurvey sensors and no grav sensors, or vice versa, would be more efficient for that job.

I can't think of any reason why you ever want only one ship in a system.  Yes, you might have slightly less efficient surveying, but you are much more likely to get the really important information home if all surveys involve a survey squadron.

I do agree that jump ships should simply carry more maintenance supplies than other ships.  For two reasons, first, the consequences of a jump drive failure are much greater, and jump ships generally do not have to be as high performance, as mass concerned, as they are generally parked at a warp point.  Generally.

Having more fuel efficient engines simply might not make up for the fact that they are pushing 10+ times as much mass around as a cheaper, more disposable design would be.

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
Actually I prefer a single ship, with everything I need.I am a procastinator, have jump freighter and then after geological and gravitational survey ship, make them jump, as soon as they finish bringing jump freighter, redo jump .... no that's too booring. And I can land after a geological team with high rating and its much more efficient in fuel , money , ressources. Its simple btw 1 exploration ship and 2 survey ship 1 jump freighter. the choice is easy.This ship is made to fly for more than 5 years (without taking into account the fuel), non stop. So it's a bit normal to have more maintenance supplies, I would not want it to explode in 1 year