Author Topic: What's the cargo cost of ship components?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline obsidian_green (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • o
What's the cargo cost of ship components?
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
I'll soon find out when I load some, but information about that really ought to be on the "component" wiki page. Sometimes we need to know this stuff in advance for proper planning. I could assume it equals HS tonnage, but that makes me wish component mass was displayed somewhere handy.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: What's the cargo cost of ship components?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
Keep in mind that you can not put components in SMALL cargo holds at all, only standard holds.

On the general subject, I use civilian shipping for a lot of stuff, so I keep track of the exceptions.

You can't ship Ground Force Training Facilities, components, PDC parts, tracking stations (I think, not 100% sure), salvaged tech points through the civilians.  And you can't ship fuel directly either, but you can let the civilians build fuel harvesters, merge them into a task group, suck the fuel out of them, and destroy them so you can scrap their wrecks.

So I plan my commercial ship building around what I can not do with civilians.

Offline obsidian_green (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
Okay. How components and cargo holds interact definitely needs more documentation. I have a freighter with a 25000 ton capacity that will only load four 50 HS engines ... not ten. Even if components load like minerals at twice the space/cost, that should still give me five engines per freighter instead of four. So ... components don't load like minerals or installations.

If the engines hold as a uniform example, components load in cargo holds at 1/5 5x what their tonnage would suggest. This should definitely be included in the wiki pages for components and cargo holds. (Edited because 1/5 the capacity isn't communicated if I don't type the whole thing out, lol.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:12:02 PM by obsidian_green »

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
Tracking stations are movable by civ contracts.

And components are not loadable at small holds, but you can put them at small holds by salvaging.

The following users thanked this post: Kyle