Author Topic: Noob Question on Jump Points  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
Noob Question on Jump Points
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »
This is my first game.  I followed the tutorial, mostly.  My Grav Survey Ship found a Jump Point.  It is labeled JP 1: Unex.  I assume that means unexplored.  

My first question is about the mechanics of jump points.  Do I have to either build a jump gate OR use a ship with a jump engine, or do I have to build a jump gate AND use a ship with a jump engine?  

My second question is about what is on the other side.  Will there be a dark area like fog of war?  Or will I reveal a system that will look like Sol did at the start of the game?  Do I need some kind of Scout class ship to reveal the spots where my survey ships can go to?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Noob Question on Jump Points
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
1.)  You need either the jump gate, or a ship with a jump engine.  If it is the ship then the limit on what size ship can go through is the size of the ship mounting the engine.  If your jump engine is good for ships up to 6000 tons (120 hull size) and the mounting ship is 5000 tons (100hs) then the ship size limits what can go through.

2.)  When you get there you will see the system bodies.  Unless your passive sensors are huge, and there is a large population you will not have a clue about any inhabited planets, unless of course they are picketing the warp point.

Hope that helps you

Brian

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
Re: Noob Question on Jump Points
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »
Thanks.